Page 59 of 97 [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 97  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Feb 2023, 6:45 pm

I don't get why people who claim to love the US flag love the Confederate flag a lot more :?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 7:42 pm

nick007 wrote:
I don't get why people who claim to love the US flag love the Confederate flag a lot more :?

I don't get that either. I see those things now and then where I live and it confuses me deeply...like we're in Michigan here, people. It's not even a southern state...not that that makes a ton of sense to me, but it would make slightly more sense than a northern state resident sporting one. I mean, we fought against the south up here. It's weird to me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 8:13 pm

nick007 wrote:

I don't get why I see people flying them in Canada.
Or more so, I don't get why those people become butthurt when others point out the implications of doing so. Apparently it isn't politically correct to mention such things in certain company.

Ironically, it's the same crowd that tends to b***h about political correctness the most.

There's several things I don't get, all intermeshed like swim trunks.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 12:30 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I don't get that either. I see those things now and then where I live and it confuses me deeply...like we're in Michigan here, people. It's not even a southern state...not that that makes a ton of sense to me, but it would make slightly more sense than a northern state resident sporting one. I mean, we fought against the south up here. It's weird to me.
Yep that is odd. I don't get how someone can think that the US is the greatest country ever created while also wanting to secede from the US :? Seems like to completely opposite things to me.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 9:02 am

nick007 wrote:
Yep that is odd. I don't get how someone can think that the US is the greatest country ever created while also wanting to secede from the US :? Seems like to completely opposite things to me.

Agreed. Flags tend to carry an important message of loyalty, respect, pride, patriotism, even nationalism on occasion. Likely more messages than those. Yet many of the people who fly those confederate flags tend to be (or at least claim to be) extremely patriotic. How do they reconcile that? Yeah. I don't get it either.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 9:06 am

People mistook me for an advocate.

I am not an advocate.
I just hate ignorance and misinformation.

I don't understand.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 9:46 am

why our attorney at the time called and told my husband he would be killed if he returned to our house by R. Hurley now retired ATTORNEY in Palm Springs area as a after thought ,when a dog abuse case was over . He was suppose to be working for us . The dog was shot as it was attacking me in our closed fenced in yard ? And why we had to leave our home as part of the court agreement . After years of abuse by our neighbours .? First time ever mention of this
? unspoken agreement? What do you do with that .? Called every lawyer could find but noone wanted it , no money in it . Now statute of limitation expired ? On homicide . :(

where ever you go ,there you are

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 12:13 pm

Why people so many people are quick to voice opinions but can't stand when their opinions are scrutinized.

Sometimes opinions are uninformed or just plain wrong, shying away from hearing this won't change it even if hearing it will hurt their delicate ego. Cowering from the truth doesn't alter the truth.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 4:36 pm

Just had this conversation with a friend and I don't get why people would pretend they believe something and use freedom of speech to defend bad actions of others but think others shouldn't assume you're like them nor assume you're fine with it. Dude, you just described trolling. Even if you do truly believe what you say, why does freedom of speech mean you can express your bad opinions but get upset when people use their freedom of speech to express what they think of you as a person. Things you defend tells a lot about you as a person.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 5:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Just had this conversation with a friend and I don't get why people would pretend they believe something and use freedom of speech to defend bad actions of others but think others shouldn't assume you're like them nor assume you're fine with it. Dude, you just described trolling. Even if you do truly believe what you say, why does freedom of speech mean you can express your bad opinions but get upset when people use their freedom of speech to express what they think of you as a person. Things you defend tells a lot about you as a person.

Free speech absolutists often appear to have this weird notion that critical speech directed towards them is somehow not protected speech.

Disagreement isn't censorship.
Neither is deciding someone is an as*hole.

And remember, it's everyone else who's the snowflake or "a p****". I never got that. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 6:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Why people so many people are quick to voice opinions but can't stand when their opinions are scrutinized.

Sometimes opinions are uninformed or just plain wrong, shying away from hearing this won't change it even if hearing it will hurt their delicate ego. Cowering from the truth doesn't alter the truth.

These people will make the fully conscious decision to post their opinions online, in a public space, which you'd assume someone would only do if they wanted to discuss said opinions, and then proceed to pitch an absolute fit if someone even slightly expresses disagreement with them. These people just want an echo chamber and it's exhausting seeing them ruin discussions everywhere they go.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 9:37 pm

^^^^ Strongly agree.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 2:54 pm

Racism.

A Polish woman I know receives death threats weekly from racist f*****s in her neighbourhood. It's sickening. Polish people have been at the receiving end of racism in the UK for many years now. Another group being scapegoated.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 8:32 am

I don't get how this interaction was misinterpreted. Does this makes sense to you, WP?

"Can't you put an alarm on your phone?" -them

"No, because it's almost always on vibrate." -me

is it not a logical connection to extrapolate that, if an alarm would not work due to my phone being on vibrate, it is because my phone is not always near me, and thus would be an unreliable alarm?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 8:40 am

Readydaer wrote:
I don't get how this interaction was misinterpreted. Does this makes sense to you, WP?

is it not a logical connection to extrapolate that, if an alarm would not work due to my phone being on vibrate, it is because my phone is not always near me, and thus would be an unreliable alarm?
I would assume that you were keeping your phone on silent mode because you did not want to hear your phone ringing at all. Like maybe you did not want to be startled by your pone ringing or did not want to deal with any phone calls.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 8:41 am

Readydaer wrote:

I think I'd assume that if your phone was on vibrate, it'd be because it was on your person and you'd feel it vibrate. If you'd said my phone is almost always on silent, I think I'd have understood.