Page 91 of 97 [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 97  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 3:26 am

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
and that is why i much prefer older cars. they don't try to be sporty, but comfortable instead.

You mean Camaros and Fairlady Zs didn't really exist? 8O
I'm pretty sure there's two old sporty cars sitting in my car-hole.

The "garage"? Hey fellas, the "garage"! Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.

even 70s era camaros [base models] rode smoother over the bumps than did the bulk of today's cars. but i was referring to things like 90s cadillacs and buicks and oldsmobiles. even the large pontiacs rode well over bumpy pavement. chevies, things like that, as well as the mercedes autos of the period. my dad's '75 300D rode like a bank vault over raised railroad tracks, you couldn't tell they were even there! i drove a '95 300D, slower than molasses in january from a stop but could cruise at 80 all day on a tank of diesel, it rode like a bank vault as well, very serene ride if you could ignore the insistent cackle under the hood. it flattened out all manner of roads, wavy became smooth, bumpy became smooth.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 4:43 am

Weird, personally my experience with older cars is that they're rickety; they croak and squeak and shudder and have a general lack of rigidity. Big, old cars feel disconnected from the road in an concerning way, smaller ones feel like tin cans.

The fundamentals of why this might be a common experience is are objectively demonstrable. First, it helps to understand what torsional rigidity is:

Quote:
Suspension guru Herb Adams (author of Chassis Engineering) defined torsional rigidity (actually “stiffness” in his 1993 publication) as it applies to a vehicle’s chassis as “how much a frame will flex as it’s loaded when one front wheel is up and the other front wheel is down while the rear of the car is held level.” Herb paints a picture that is easy to see while he goes on to say, “ This condition is seen at every corner of the road, so its importance to proper handling should be obvious.” While it may have been obvious to some OEM manufacturers and racecar builders, increasing the torsional rigidity of a vehicle without significantly increasing the weight is the engineering challenge.

Fortunately, advances in computer chassis modeling, higher-strength materials, new welding techniques and superior bonding materials are allowing both OEMs and racecar builders to build vehicles that sport far more torsional rigidity than cars of the past. Whereas, a 1966 Ford Mustang coupe probably had a spec around 5,000 Nm per degree, today’s 2015 Mustang is well over 20,000 Nm/degree. What’s the high end of current automobile technology? A Bugatti Veyron claims a torsional rigidity over 60,000 Nm/deg.

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/chassis- ... -rigidity/

The old car with enough sound deadening can be made to feel very isolated, but it's a illusion. Frame flex, sloppy bushings and soft dampers can contribute to things being floaty and vague, but those generally aren't viewed as positive traits, they make most people feel less safe driving that car. Virtually all of the feedback they ever receive is to improve things in that regard, not to double-down on it.

A new car might use stiffer bushings and skrimp on sound deadening (to reduce weight, to make fuel economy goals), but it's measurably better in a structural sense.

The isolation is being done by the suspension, not by the entire structure flexing with endless bushings to make it less noticeable, and enough sound deadening to mask the noises. Because the rest of the structure isn't a floppy mess, the suspension (which can now be optimized in simulation long before it's committed to production) can actually do the job it's intended to do.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 4:57 am

to each his own, my ancient bones just can't handle bumpy rides.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 8:02 am

One person telling me I 'm in the bottom 5% intelligence wise of a subreddit, and another person telling me 'I believe you are underestimating yourself most of the time. Your potential is huge'

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 9:18 am

The Taylor Swift phenomenon.

I am not saying I hate or her music sucks. Mania over music acts is common but it is usually a relatively short lived phenomenon. She has got it going for 15 years increasing in popularity and the devotion to her every year. She obviously is doing something very right, I just don’t get what that is.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 9:43 am

^ Would she have been successful if she had had the looks of a latter day Janis Joplin?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 9:52 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The Taylor Swift phenomenon.

I am not saying I hate or her music sucks. Mania over music acts is common but it is usually a relatively short lived phenomenon. She has got it going for 15 years increasing in popularity and the devotion to her every year. She obviously is doing something very right, I just don’t get what that is.

I know a bit about her through my daughter. She produced and recorded a solo, acoustic album during the 2020 lockdown. A lot of it was about her experience being groomed and manipulated by a much older partner, John Meyer. She was 19 and he was 32. That caught my attention at the time for personal reasons and I listened to the album, plus a few more of her songs. I like the honesty in her songwriting and I think she has a good voice. I don't know if that's why most people like her but it made her stand out to me.

https://youtu.be/N-FYySSy0rM

In an interview with Glamour Magazine, Swift stated: "I know it wasn’t good, so I don’t want to know. I put a high priority on staying happy, and I know what I can’t handle. It’s not that I’m this egomaniac and I don’t want to hear anything negative, because I do keep myself in check, but I’ve never developed that thick a skin. So I just kind of live a life, and I let all the gossip live somewhere else. If you go too far down the rabbit hole of what people think about you, it can change everything about who you are."

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 5:30 pm

why a lot of people these days add rose or mae on to their baby girls names

why having baby girls have got trendy nowadays seriously my husbands friend knows a couple who got abortions as soon as they found out the unborn baby was a boy because they really wanted a girl like their friends have got

seriously??! !?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 5:53 pm

Caz72 wrote:

why having baby girls have got trendy nowadays seriously my husbands friend knows a couple who got abortions as soon as they found out the unborn baby was a boy because they really wanted a girl like their friends have got

seriously??! !?

Double 8O !

That folks in Western world would do that, but also...if you're going to do serial abortions for gender preference...in China or India they do it for the opposite reason...to get boy kids. I mean that its shocking either way. But thats turning the usual preference on its head.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 5:55 pm

My husband was pissed off when we had a boy. Slammed his way out of the room after I gave birth. When we had my daughter three years later he said that my son should have been born with a toe tag saying "The next one will be a girl", because then he might have been able to love him. At the time he was terrified he'd never have a daughter.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 7:12 pm

Caz72 wrote:

seriously??! !?

I call Bullsh*t. Not by you or your husband but by the people who told your husband.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 7:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My husband was pissed off when we had a boy. Slammed his way out of the room after I gave birth. When we had my daughter three years later he said that my son should have been born with a toe tag saying "The next one will be a girl", because then he might have been able to love him. At the time he was terrified he'd never have a daughter.

What a complete waste of perfectly good oxygen, your husband was. That's some weird kind of mental illness.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 7:20 pm

I don't get why hair matters so much to people. Why is it that someone with an up to the minute haircut is seen as a regular Joe while someone with a Beatle haircut gets called the R-word by strangers who don't even know them?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 7:27 pm

Recidivist wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

What a complete waste of perfectly good oxygen, your husband was. That's some weird kind of mental illness.

He was (is) f'd in the head. We didn't know MS's gender. On the day I was in labour we went for a walk and he was all excited to have a daughter. He'd talked about wanting a girl before, but I didn't realise it meant he ONLY wanted a girl. During the walk I said "What if it's a boy?" and I tried to point out all the things he might enjoy with a son. I can't remember what he said. Then in hospital he freaked the F out and barged out of the room. That was the day he started calling him a jerk, suck, loser, wimp, etc., on the day he was born. The toe tag comment was after my daughter was born, which was when we were already splitting up. Waste of oxygen is right.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 11:55 am

firemonkey wrote:
^ Would she have been successful if she had had the looks of a latter day Janis Joplin?

Most of her audience are other females and from little I understand the connection is about common life and relationship experiences not her looks.

In other words unlike say Debbie Harry back in the day a significant part of her audience is not horny guys.

On a personal note in an attempt to understand I looked at some concert videos from the current tour. Some of them contained interviews with fans. After awhile I had the feeling I was in a place I don’t belong. Similar to a person who never had a drink attending an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2023, 6:03 pm

I don't get why amazon packed a small electrical component in a package 1 metre wide x 1 1/2 metres long.