Page 35 of 97 [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 97  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 12:03 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Being able to get into high IQ societies is contrasted by my needing help and support with everyday practical matters.

OMG I am the same. Compared to most people, I'm highly intelligent. But I can't cope with social customs, subtle social signals, everyday matters like money or driving or other practical things. Partly because they are so boring my brain doesn't register them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 12:11 pm

I don't get why I lost my credit card AGAIN.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 2:31 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i don't fully understand how a few ultra-high-functioning aspies can effortlessly emulate NT behavior for extended periods of time.

I don't get when people like this also blame other autists for not being able to perfectly mask, and for having developmental and milestone delays.

Hmm.. there were milesstones I was suppose to achieve? Think I most definitely need to repeat Remedial Childhood again . 8O :?

where ever you go ,there you are

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 2:37 pm

Jakki wrote:
Hmm.. there were milesstones I was suppose to achieve? Think I most definitely need to repeat Remedial Childhood again . 8O :?

By milestones I mean things like learning to drive, graduating high school, getting a job, going to college, dating and having sex for the first time, getting married and having kids, etc. There's some hyper-functional autistic people that seem to hate other autists who can't easily achieve, or never achieve, all of those things like they are "supposed" to. They have some sort of obsession with being as "normal" as possible, and everyone else who can't pretend to be "normal" like they do just isn't trying hard enough.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 2:40 pm

I get that and that is sad …. It’s why it’s a spectrum…everybody can be at different levels of self imposed goals ? :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 3:26 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Jakki wrote:

By milestones I mean things like learning to drive, graduating high school, getting a job, going to college, dating and having sex for the first time, getting married and having kids, etc. There's some hyper-functional autistic people that seem to hate other autists who can't easily achieve, or never achieve, all of those things like they are "supposed" to. They have some sort of obsession with being as "normal" as possible, and everyone else who can't pretend to be "normal" like they do just isn't trying hard enough.

I hate that too. Some of them shame autistic people for not masking, suffering, or achieving enough. Then, if they do make those milestones, they're told they must not be autistic and their experience gets discredited.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 1:01 am

Why so many countries hate each other. When I was a kid it seemed like only two countries hated each other enough to be a real threat to the whole world, now it's like every country in the world hates each other and it will be the literal death of us all.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 2:21 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Jakki wrote:

I never learnt to officially drive. I didn't take my A levels because I was hospitalised for the 1st time at the start of that term. Hence I've never been to college/uni. I've never had a paid job. I did get married to a woman nearly 22 years older than me.

Childhood milestones? I started crawling , walking and talking in that order , all before my first birthday.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 9:21 am

It's good to remember that human brains aren't evolved to do things like read, drive etc. So naturally, many humans will never learn how to do these things.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 9:41 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Jakki wrote:

I've achieved only a few of those milestones, and was judged for it by the one autistic friend I had. :evil:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:03 am

I don't get why mothers expect too much from their grown children.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:07 am

firemonkey wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Jakki wrote:

I never learnt to officially drive. I didn't take my A levels because I was hospitalised for the 1st time at the start of that term. Hence I've never been to college/uni. I've never had a paid job. I did get married to a woman nearly 22 years older than me.

Childhood milestones? I started crawling , walking and talking in that order , all before my first birthday.

Congratulations on those very big milestones you did make !

That sounds very progressive for a Aspie person. … think I was imitating sounds for almost a year that formed compound sentences . Then I shut up for many years . Just did not speak :nerdy: Even at 5 yrs was not verbal . Then all at once . I would talk in the same compound sentences as I did earlier , but very softly . Between 5-6 had picked up reading very quickly learning Phonetics 8) . And not being given any child’s book that made sense to me. Father introduced me to a set of encyclopedias. About 3-6 months later , asked Father for the rest of the Set,thinking there was something past “Z” … 8O ..He said that was all there was . :(
That frustrated me . So when left to my own with magazines and things . Would go in and cross out words to make the sentences written have a different meaning . En Masse . Usually changing entire articles :wink: . But was reprimanded after about 6 months,Not to do this :evil: Had no understanding of this either, As these magazines were most likely to go into the rubbish bin. :roll: It was the most interesting thing to do with these printed articles , it was Fun. Almost
Killed my interest in reading . It did take away my interest in reading for fun. :( :nerdy:
[ And went right to only reading for technical purposes]. Which only offered gaining written knowledge from Articles .
Limited to special interest things that applied to technical issues that I did not have ready Answers for. :nerdy:
Was not until 6 th grade that I started to enjoy reading again . Thanks to Parents inhibiting my creativity regarding reading . The odd thing was that when visiting a library , Found it fascinating to be able to read such a variety of things . Would lose track of time in Libraries . Learned the Dewey-decimal system rather quickly , Actually thought I wanted to be a Librarian .When young , parent had to drag me out of our local Library. :(
Then found The “Nancy Drew mysteries “ But quickly ran out of that entire available series. Even though ,it seemed to me I was a precise reader . Then frustrated by that . Did not read for pleasure again until mid thirties. After getting married .
For any faults my late hubby had , he was a wealth of info for me. Not being sure if he was Aspie like , He was most interesting when he spoke on his special interest . Minor Faults vs Benefit ratio was greatly benificial to me. And quite apparently for him as well. :D

Last edited by Jakki on 14 Nov 2022, 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:14 am

i dont get some people who used a dirty rusty skip as a swimming pool in the summer..they filled one of those rubbish skips up with water and sat in it

and people whp were grossed out were called snowflakes ! !
im sorry but nobody is being a snowflakes who is grossed out by that those rubbish skips are crawling with disease and are often very rusty
who in their right mind would want to fill one of those up with water and sit in it :eew:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 11:28 am

I don't get why you're wasting your life if you're doing harmless things that you enjoy or are different from what others enjoy, but not wasting it if you're doing things that you absolutely hate or the same as what others do.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 12:52 pm

Somehow it's a miracle I am not traumatized and NC with my parents. According to comments online, I was abused because I was slapped silly occasionally, I was yelled at by every authority figure, even by my own parents, plus I was spanked. Just because my parents would lose their tempers occasionally, I was abused but I should be traumatized and be NC with my parents according to these dumb comments online that like to call anything abuse and people assume it will happen again and again. Somehow I am a miracle or people online are just stupid for making Snap judgments over one situation.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 3:52 pm

Why these guys can't play a gig in my home. :evil: