Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 5:41 am

https://youtu.be/139Q61ty4C0

When he mentioned something about power issues. We only really have ever noticed that when someone uses a powerful electric welder which may make ones lights go dim while someone is welding. Our cookers are over 13 amps so run on their own electrical feed and same goes for showers or immersion heaters in water tanks.

Stepping on plugs is an issue. I agree with that! Ouch!

The black insulation around the plugs live and neutral pins is something which has only really been around for about 35 years as prior to that the pins did not have this feature. It is a good idea.

Our mains current used to be set at 240v AC but to make things more compatible with EU countries who ran on 220v AC, about 20 to 25 years ago, it was reduced to 230v AC to be less of an issue if people from Europe came to the UK. Not sure if their system was adjusted to 230 to be the same?

There is a different frequency of AC currnet used here than in the USA. The frequency used here is supposed to reduce the liklihood of death if someone had a shock though people do still die.

There are extra safety features in our UK system which he did not mention. The earth goes to the ground where we have a circuit breaker device which trips off the current if it senses a fault. This is our main trip switch into the house. We also have individual circuit breakers (Used to be fuses so a few older houses may still have fuses) for each of our circuits and each trip (Or fuse wire) is rated in amps so it will trip (Or blow) if the amperage is exceeded (E.g. if we have a short). This is in addition to the fuses in our plugs where we use the correct fuse for the device. Common fuse ratings are 3A, 5A, and 13 Amp, but there is a specific plug with a 1 amp fuse designed to take shaver plugs as shaver plugs have small two pin affairs where one needs one of these 1amp fused plug adapters. Foreigners do not realize these are supposed to be for electric shavers and they will plug in their 2 pin appliances and wonder why the fuses go! These 1 amp fuses are a smaller design so one can't put a 3, a 5 or a 13 amp fuse in them. All designed for safety.

Finally, we can buy multi adaptor plugs which one can plug in more than one appliance. The long bar types are said to be safer, as we used to have small cube like plugs with two or three outlets but those heated up so could cause fires. One must not exceed 13 amps overall as a total with whatever one plugs into a multiplug adapter, somif we had a bar type with four outlets, we must not exceed 3 amp appliences if we had four things plugged into one. (Two five amp or a five amp and two three amp applinces can be used or we can use a single 13 amp applience and just plug that in on its own where the bar type multiplug adapter then just acts as a useful extension lead. We also get those reel type extensikn leads on the same principle, but if one is powering something that takes more current such as some moee powerful elwctric lawn mowers, one needs to uncoil the whole lead. These leads can be fitted with additional circuit breakers which is advised if using lawnmowers, hedge trimmers and things like that).

I will say that no matter how many safety features ones system has, the user needs to use common sense like never switch light switches or socket switches if one has damp or wet hands, by examining the chords of appliences to ensure that they are not frayed especially where the lead enters the applience, ensuring one has the right fuse for each appliance, ensuring the plugs are wired correctly and the grip to prevent the leads coming out holds the outer wire sheath secure and is not clamped on the inner wires (Or not clamped down at all with some peoples plugs that I have seen!)... That if the appliance has a metal case, that where the wires go in that it has its rubber grommet and that the grommet is in good condition... That one NEVER uses a 2 core extension lead on an appliance that has an earth cable fitted (Seen this done as well with home made extension leads!)
Always take care when using ANYTHING electrical. Your life depends on it!

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 18 Oct 2022, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 6:06 am

Never had a shock off a UK plug. :shrug:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 6:37 am

Hope that no one does.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 6:44 am

It's not an issue. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with UK plugs.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 6:57 am

I have but due to being silly, like having an extension lead to a radio next to a swimming pool where a girl died through coming out the pool all wet onto the plug and socket, or not replacing damaged plugs so one goes to pull it out the socket and the plug falls apart etc...
One safety issue is people not switching sockets off, and using older type plugs before they insulated the bottom pins, and they would hold them with their fingers around the plug while plugging them in. I guess a big hazzard in the USA?

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 7:01 am

^ That would be true with any electrical system anywhere in the world. Human beings and mains electricity don't mix well.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2022, 3:35 am

As a kid I often wanted to know how things worked. When I was 8 I dismantled a lamp to see what was inside. I didn't unplug it and I didn't put it back together and later picked it up with a wet hand. The shock caused the muscles in my hand to contract so I was gripping the lamp and couldn't let go of it. It seemed to go on for ages. I was alone in my room at the time so no one saw. I don't remember what stopped it. Afterwards I had a hole burned in my thumb. It didn't hurt, it was just...shocking.