Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,699
Location: Near London United Kingdom

13 Nov 2022, 10:40 am

One of my mates who is 30 was showing a school photo when he was 11 years old. Someone then replied when looking at the picture "You were good looking What happened?"

Do you think that was a bit of a harsh thing to say?



envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,798
Location: Keshron, Super-Zakhyria

13 Nov 2022, 10:47 am

Sounds like a typical young male type joke remark, not to be taken seriously. I was very familiar with those kind of remarks when a group of guys got together.


_________________
Why is a trailer behind a car but ahead of a movie?


my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,699
Location: Near London United Kingdom

13 Nov 2022, 10:49 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Sounds like a typical young male type joke remark, not to be taken seriously. I was very familiar with those kind of remarks when a group of guys got together.



What did he mean by "What happened"?



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,005
Location: wales

13 Nov 2022, 10:53 am

Jamesy wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
Sounds like a typical young male type joke remark, not to be taken seriously. I was very familiar with those kind of remarks when a group of guys got together.



What did he mean by "What happened"?


That his looks went downhill. It's probably just banter between guys. I call the managers son a genetic freak and degenerate mental cripple. I say the draftsman lost his hair at 22 because of the stress his BMW causes him. I also said he looked like a skittle with womanly hips.

They all return fire with their own comebacks.



envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,798
Location: Keshron, Super-Zakhyria

13 Nov 2022, 10:57 am

Guys do that sort of thing. I was at an all boys school and that sort of remark is commonplace. Because of my autistic traits I didn't know how to respond correctly like I do now. Because I acted so seriously I had to put up with a lot of teasing that bordered on bullying at times. Guys prefer it if you can give as well as you take their silly remarks.


_________________
Why is a trailer behind a car but ahead of a movie?


my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/


Radish
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2022
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,102
Location: UK

13 Nov 2022, 10:59 am

Just sounds like banter, like everyone else said. It is an invitation for him to make a similar joking reply in return


_________________
This space intentionally left blank.


Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1932
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,005
Location: wales

13 Nov 2022, 11:00 am

Yip they were hoping your friend would retort with a comedic comeback about their own looks.



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,388
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

13 Nov 2022, 11:32 am

I've made that joke to my mother when we were looking at a photo of me that was taken when I was a toddler. "I was really pretty back then... I wonder what happened?"

But seriously folks, I've heard that guys who are good friends are inexplicably always insulting each other, which is something girls who are good friends would never do. So I guess when guys act like they hate each other, it's because they like each other.

Unless they really do hate each other. :twisted:

Humans are so confusing. :(



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,901
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2022, 4:20 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
But seriously folks, I've heard that guys who are good friends are inexplicably always insulting each other, which is something girls who are good friends would never do. So I guess when guys act like they hate each other, it's because they like each other.
Me & my girlfriend joke like that with each other :lol: Some girls joke like that with their brothers growing up & Cass has two so that could be it.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,388
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

14 Nov 2022, 10:58 am

I heard that adults should never tell girls that if someone is treating them badly it's because that person likes them or has a crush on them. It gives them the message that abuse = love and the next thing you know, they're in an abusive relationship. So why is it okay when a guy is being treated that way? Double standards just refuse to die.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,102
Location: Pacific Northwest

14 Nov 2022, 12:46 pm

Jamesy wrote:
One of my mates who is 30 was showing a school photo when he was 11 years old. Someone then replied when looking at the picture "You were good looking What happened?"

Do you think that was a bit of a harsh thing to say?



Yes it was. Very mean thing to say because he seemed to be saying he was no longer good looking and is now ugly. Who wants to hear that?

And of course looks will change when you become an adult so what a stupid thing to ask. 11 will look like a child while a teen will look more like a man after puberty. A good response to that would be "I entered puberty."


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,699
Location: Near London United Kingdom

14 Nov 2022, 12:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
One of my mates who is 30 was showing a school photo when he was 11 years old. Someone then replied when looking at the picture "You were good looking What happened?"

Do you think that was a bit of a harsh thing to say?



Yes it was. Very mean thing to say because he seemed to be saying he was no longer good looking and is now ugly. Who wants to hear that?

And of course looks will change when you become an adult so what a stupid thing to ask. 11 will look like a child while a teen will look more like a man after puberty. A good response to that would be "I entered puberty."



Funny thing is 4 years prior to the comment when my friend grew stubble people were calling him good looking.



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,289
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

14 Nov 2022, 1:24 pm

I think that was a very mean and dumb thing to say. A person's looks change as they get older.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 48
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,610
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

14 Nov 2022, 1:28 pm

No.

It was a joke and you took it literally.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,188
Location: Queens, NYC

14 Nov 2022, 1:29 pm

Agree with Goldfish.

It was a sort of "male-bonding" sort of joke.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 53,561

14 Nov 2022, 1:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Agree with Goldfish.

It was a sort of "male-bonding" sort of joke.


Agree with both of you.

That's a joke that lots of people say when they look at old photos of friends.