Which wooden Lilith statue should I consider getting?

Page 4 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 10:33 am

It's a self-development path, that's the main thing.

I get from what you're saying that it's coming in loud for you, and I understand why. The trick is understanding that most of what you're seeing is you're own unconscious, it's archetypes and its read of various symbols. This is why I recommended JungToLiveBy, they get into the weeds on complexes, archetypal images, meta-instincts, Pankseppian instincts, etc.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 10:40 am

I will definetly check out JungToLiveBy on Youtube then. :)

And maybe other sources from people who seem to actually know what they are really talking about. It's easy to get lost in misinformation these days unfortunately.

I think Lilith's main thing is encouraging me to be independent and even rebellious when it's needed. But if I take it too far it will consume me in hellfire. I should definetly be careful with that.

I feel her particular energy is powerful but dangerous and you're right it does serve as a reflection of myself.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 11:06 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
And maybe other sources from people who seem to actually know what they are really talking about. It's easy to get lost in misinformation these days unfortunately.

The more, and wider, that I've read on all these topics the less I'm convinced anyone knows what they're talking about.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 11:12 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

The more, and wider, that I've read on all these topics the less I'm convinced anyone knows what they're talking about.

Excellent point.

Just like with tarot cards or any form of cartomancy. I have noticed that everyone seems to pretty much follow their own rules about what the cards mean through interpretations in readings. Now that I think about it... that's actually ok. Intuition works best I guess?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 11:34 am

It's more like the structure is more important than the details.

For example, if you want to look at someone whose experienced and highly competent with goetic magic - there's an author and practitioner named Jake Stratton Kent who has a lot of experience in this area. You would get the sense that the way he'd describe these beings is perhaps in some cases quite powerful, relatively intense personalities, but not malevolent if you know how to work with them.

Then you have Joseph B Peterson, whose been one of the highest quality translators for Solomonic magic texts and the like, who'd claim he's converted to Zoroastrianism and very much believes in a good vs. evil context for these things.

Then you have Stephen Skinner, another high quality translator and academic, who'd claim that these beings are strictly external and that the magic that occurs is through the agency of external forces rather than internal.

Then you'd have Israel Regardie, and much of the Golden Dawn and disapora, who'd range between largely psychologizing these beings to purely psychologizing them and saying effectively 'Just because it's all in your head doesn't mean it's not real'.

So yeah, even the top brass disagree on topics like this and have significantly diverging opinions. I have no idea if it's a bunch of blind men and blind women patting down an elephant (or perhaps more aptly an amplituhedron) but there are all sorts of places you can go for competent scholarship, and almost as many varying opinions as there are experts.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 11:58 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
It's more like the structure is more important than the details.

For example, if you want to look at someone whose experienced and highly competent with goetic magic - there's an author and practitioner named Jake Stratton Kent who has a lot of experience in this area. You would get the sense that the way he'd describe these beings is perhaps in some cases quite powerful, relatively intense personalities, but not malevolent if you know how to work with them.

Then you have Joseph B Peterson, whose been one of the highest quality translators for Solomonic magic texts and the like, who'd claim he's converted to Zoroastrianism and very much believes in a good vs. evil context for these things.

Then you have Stephen Skinner, another high quality translator and academic, who'd claim that these beings are strictly external and that the magic that occurs is through the agency of external forces rather than internal.

Then you'd have Israel Regardie, and much of the Golden Dawn and disapora, who'd range between largely psychologizing these beings to purely psychologizing them and saying effectively 'Just because it's all in your head doesn't mean it's not real'.

So yeah, even the top brass disagree on topics like this and have significantly diverging opinions. I have no idea if it's a bunch of blind men and blind women patting down an elephant (or perhaps more aptly an amplituhedron) but there are all sorts of places you can go for competent scholarship, and almost as many varying opinions as there are experts.

I like the fitting metaphor about the blind people and the elephant.

Since I actually live in the deep south where things like hoodoo and Appalachian folk magic are practiced (though hoodoo is becoming something of a closed practice), I've thought about some day trying to order some books on folk magic in the south and trying to incorporate my own beliefs about Lilith into my practice.

I'm not sure if that's considered ethical by practioners but I believe I can make it work for me at least. And dipping into the magic practices that are used here in the south where I live will at least give me access to resources.

The Hillbilly Witches of the mountains as well as the African Americans during the days of slavery didn't have easy access to fancy expensive magic tools like real tarot cards and crystal balls. They had to make due with what was readily available to them which was why they used playing cards instead of tarot and make use of the herbs and animals that were local, as well as making use of pennies and horse shoes and discarded railroad spikes. Even the King James Bible proved a useful tool in conjuring up magic.

In fact I dug out a bible from my mom's storage shed to try and read through and figure out how exactly it works in folk magic.

Anyways these are some of the books on southern folk magic i have been eying on Amazon for months that I am considering saving my allowance for. The authors sound reputable enough from the reviews I read about them.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 12:10 pm

Mark Stavish has a monograph on this as well:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 12:14 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Mark Stavish has a monograph on this as well:

Thanks, I believe I will add that to my cart too. :)

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2022, 9:15 pm

Decided to try a reading to focus on Lilith and ask her "What can you give me in return for worshipping you?"

I pulled some interesting cards!

I chose the Queen of Spades card because I feel that it's the card that most represents her nature as a dark feminine goddess/demon/spirit.

She has revealed to me that she can bring me: 10 of Diamonds (wealth and luxury beyond my imagination), 10 of Hearts (Happy Family and Surrounded by Friends, great happiness in general)

And the Ace of Spades. The ability to curse my enemies as I see fit as she spreads storms and disease among the world.

But at the cost of the 7 of Hearts. Every time I use divination of any form she is cursing me with some visions that are best not known and forgotten. She speaks truly awful things through me, none of the "love and light" bs.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 12:47 pm

After taking a moment to stop and reflect on myself...

I think maybe my Lilith obsession is unhealthy. :|

Should I really keep trying to work with a demonic goddess like her? It's like she takes me into dark places within myself that I'm better off not even seeing.

Maybe I should find a kinder, less selfish deity? Hestia the Goddess of the Hearth is kindly and wholesome even if she was not a particularly strong figure in Greek Mythology.

Inanna as a Goddess of both Love AND War seemed to have a healthy control over her emotions and she was fiercely strong and independent without being cruel like Lilith (anyone Inanna punished usually deserved it in some way).

I feel that either of those two goddesses could help me get a grip on my manic episodes.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 2:26 pm

The reason I brought up JungToLiveBy, there's a thing called shadow work, ie. integrating your shadow, it's what people do to have a contiguous self that covers both the ranges of good and evil. This is where highly agreeable people, who've never interacted with or gotten to know their own shadow, can be dangerous because other people can puppet the parts of themselves that they either deny or don't have a good grip on.

Maybe the healthiest thing to do is just really think deeply about what it is about her that appeals to you, explore it openly with yourself, and try to make the best map of that territory that you can as well as retracing that map and deepening it when you find things that you didn't know where there before.

My guess is - if you do that right - it won't be an obsession anymore because your own subconscious will have gotten it's own point across to you and won't need to keep pulling on your sleeve.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 2:46 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The reason I brought up JungToLiveBy, there's a thing called shadow work, ie. integrating your shadow, it's what people do to have a contiguous self that covers both the ranges of good and evil. This is where highly agreeable people, who've never interacted with or gotten to know their own shadow, can be dangerous because other people can puppet the parts of themselves that they either deny or don't have a good grip on.

Maybe the healthiest thing to do is just really think deeply about what it is about her that appeals to you, explore it openly with yourself, and try to make the best map of that territory that you can as well as retracing that map and deepening it when you find things that you didn't know where there before.

My guess is - if you do that right - it won't be an obsession anymore because your own subconscious will have gotten it's own point across to you and won't need to keep pulling on your sleeve.

Well when I think about it, to me Lilith was essentially the perfect femme fatale archetype. And she represents a kind of female empowerment of the darkest kind. As a gay autistic man with bipolar disorder living with my mom I basically have no power at all. No real control over my life or future. I guess in a way that's why I sympathize with women, because at one point in history and even to this day in some parts of the world they had no power either and were at the mercy of their husbands and family.

Lilith was a rebel to all of that but at the same time she was very dark and dangerous. I've heard claims that she was the most defiant of all demons who answers to nobody and this is true in her roles as Lamashtu and Lamia aswell.

I WISH I could be more defiant, but it never works for me. At times I envy women who are brave enough to live how they want and say what they want. But i care too much about what people think of me.

I feel more like a Hestia than a Lilith tbh. Hestia avoided drama at any cost because it worked for her.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2022, 3:30 pm

But speaking of Hestia, they sell some interesting statues of her on Etsy too. Maybe if I decide i want to work with a Goddess who can maybe show me how to calm down and avoid causing drama? She's also linked to domestic life and Im the one in my family who cleans the house, cooks supper every night, and takes care of our many pets.

I guess while part of me would love to be more defiant like Lilith the other part of me would rather be a genuinely nice guy and try to keep my friends and family happy like Hestia would.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 7:16 pm

I had something else hit me this evening, I didn't want to litter up PPR but I thought I'd throw it in here since you're grappling with the 'Lilith' question.

As I think about it - a better match for Darwinian evolution is Choronzon rather than Lilith. I don't know your familiarity with Choronzon but it amounts to the incoherent babblings of nature, extending from the 'No Thing' into manifestation. From that perspective Lilith is much more tame and even humanized in comparison.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 7:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I had something else hit me this evening, I didn't want to litter up PPR but I thought I'd throw it in here since you're grappling with the 'Lilith' question.

As I think about it - a better match for Darwinian evolution is Choronzon rather than Lilith. I don't know your familiarity with Choronzon but it amounts to the incoherent babblings of nature, extending from the 'No Thing' into manifestation. From that perspective Lilith is much more tame and even humanized in comparison.

I admit I'm not very familiar with Choronzon but I will look it up.

Wikipedia seems a good place to start for me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choronzon

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 9:04 pm

I had a chance to read the Wikipedia page and it sounds like a very interesting concept indeed.

Anyways I told myself I had enough of Lilith but... she has drawn me back in like always.

Found and interesting page about her on a website that lists several 'demons' (though this whole list feels incomplete. How could they forget Lamashtu of all demons???)

https://www.deliriumsrealm.com/lilith/

Also an interesting page on her Greek counterpart known as Lamia.

https://www.deliriumsrealm.com/lamia/