Is Anglophilia common for people on the spectrum?

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 1:05 am

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
jimmyjazzuk wrote:
Its usually the loud minority who like to spout off their hatred of people/things in general. The quiet majority just get on with their lives.

Except -philia means love or fondness for.

Right and I think the post was suggesting that it appears most are hostile to Englishness and fondness of them is a niche limited to autistics.

Anglophobia has always been there but I think it is increasing as the lefts victimhood mentality is culturally dominant at the moment. So they cherry pick the bad and ignore the good the English have done.

I also think most people don't really care, also some of it might be little brother style banter and not passionate hatred.

OP appeared to be suggesting folks with ASD might be more likely to be anglophiles; that's the premise of the thread.

I'm not sure what the left has to do with anything, unless condemning empire is the deciding factor between having a positive and negative view of the UK. Last I checked I'm both a leftist and an anglophile (for example).

Yes.
The left generally hate colonialists, and Britain did a lot of colonising.

That's a pretty black and white way of looking at the issue.

One can appreciate some aspects of a society and not others.
One can be critical about some cultural practices without viewing the culture that engages in them as irredeemable.

Most people are capable of understanding nuance instead of reducing issues to binary good vs. bad judgments.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 3:34 am

funeralxempire wrote:

That's a pretty black and white way of looking at the issue.

One can appreciate some aspects of a society and not others.
One can be critical about some cultural practices without viewing the culture that engages in them as irredeemable.

Most people are capable of understanding nuance instead of reducing issues to binary good vs. bad judgments.

I said: "Generally."
It does not suggest a binary.
Think in terms of a "Bell Curve". 8)

Quote:
: in most cases : usually

https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/generally

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2023, 7:35 am

@funeralempire I dont think most people are like you who take a balanced and thoughtful view. I think there is a sheeple aspect to hating England, people need to 'other' something and have a common enemy to bond over. I see it in sports comments sections. I know perhaps sport shouldnt be taken seriously and a lot of it is banter but the majority of people who post have only negative things to say about England. We're told were arrogant, the world hates us and apparently everyone wants to see us lose. Were referred to as the 'auld enemy' which suggests a historical resentment.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 8:59 am

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
@funeralempire I dont think most people are like you who take a balanced and thoughtful view. I think there is a sheeple aspect to hating England, people need to 'other' something and have a common enemy to bond over. I see it in sports comments sections. I know perhaps sport shouldnt be taken seriously and a lot of it is banter but the majority of people who post have only negative things to say about England. We're told were arrogant, the world hates us and apparently everyone wants to see us lose. Were referred to as the 'auld enemy' which suggests a historical resentment.

If we trusted sports fans, everyone would hate everyone, but I feel like a lot of those national rivalries are mostly in good fun.

Scotland had good reason to resent England, Scotland are England fought a lot—but it's also been centuries since anyone had a serious reason to hold real resentment.

I appreciate the underlined. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う