Sometimes I wish why aren't I a leader ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 8:51 am

When I say a leader I don't mean a prime minister or someone like that, I mean someone who for example, leads a team of people in a place of work or business. I strangely find myself feeling jealous if I see people who look and probably are younger than me leading a team with other people older than them. My mum and her partner both have a manager who is in her mid 20s. Some leaders are in their early 20s. I don't know what the issue is here. Its as though because someone younger than me leading a group makes me seem "beneath" them. This sounds ridiculous but that's how I feel and I know that maybe age is irrelevant here and that only skills matter. I don't know if the reason why they are already leaders of a team at that age is because maybe at school they knew how to lead a team and use that skill to their advantage later as an adult.

I've sometimes asked myself well would being a leader or business manager make me feel any better than if I was a sales assistant like I am now ? A part of me is thinking I probably wouldn't and I would have to do multiple different tasks as well as leading a team which could be stressful.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 9:04 am

Why not get some training in leadership and see if you want to actually pursue it? I think the reason you are seeing people in their 20's in leadership roles is the fact that they've had training in it. Its being offered in High School now (and thats new since I've been in school)

I don't typically like leadership roles because it also involves the supervision of a group of unpredictable/unstable NT's - not something I enjoy.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2023, 11:25 pm

It's very likely because you are on the spectrum and they are not. Mystery solved.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Apr 2023, 5:38 pm

I was a backup to my supervisor at one of my jobs. I didn't know how to do everything some people in my department did & few were a lot older than me but I was a good strategist partly due to my OCD & I had a really good work ethic. I hated goofing off unless we were joking while getting the work done. I worked longer hours whenever I was allowed over-time & I usually came in on an off day when I was allowed to as well. I didn't mind coming up with a game plan when I got there but given the choice I would prefer to focus on my own work after that & to be left alone to do it. I thought we were micromanaged too much. I wanted my teammates to come to me if they had a problem when I was in charge but I wanted to give people the needed space to do their own work. I'm not sure if this would help anyone here interested in a leadership position but my advice would be to try & step up more at your current job. Do your best to get your own work done & then try to assist others & get extra work done. Show your reliable & that you stay on top of what your other teammates are doing.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition