Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2023, 2:15 pm

I have 1 cat in my home and she's very quite and warm to touch. Very quiet, not making alot of mess / noise. I definitely love cats more than dogs, because, they're more gentle. but thats my opinion. If you can please share your thoughts about what pet you prefer, thanks.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 2:39 pm

Could tell stores for an hour and a half on a couple of fondly remembered dogs in my childhood, a beagle then a collie.
Parents have all the photographs.

Beagle was obtained as a puppy when I was a toddler.
Runt of the litter, grew up almost shaped like Popeye or a bulldog.
One place we lived, he'd sometimes get out of our yard and go hang out with a poor family up the hill who had a disabled chronically ill child. People we had no idea who they were knew him by name and he knew them! :D

Collie was a rescue, 3 year old show dog caught in puppy mill.
Did she ever have a chance to be a puppy herself? Whatever us boys were doing she wanted IN! on the action :D & the more rough and tumble the better! Sports and canoeing were her favorite activities.
And yet ...
She quite happily let our toddler age youngest cousin lead her around by the collar, "Come here Lassie puppy. Follow me Lassie puppy."

After getting out on my own in the 1980s I've had cats since they are easier to have in apartments.
Plenty of stories to tell on them too.

Here are the current two. Frizzy one with white turns 15 this year and the other 14. Wow, it has been that long, really?!
Note the frizzy one giving the other a bit of side eye, totally deserves it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 2:53 pm

I've always been a cat person. When I was a child and teen I used to be frightened of dogs and I didn't like the noise of their barking.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 10:12 pm

Each have their special attributes and I have alternated between the two, depending on where I lived.

If I'm in an apartment or renting, I prefer Cats. They are cleaner, quieter and use a litter box. They are also less destructive. If I'm in a home (which I am now) I prefer a dog. I love their energy, it's not as big a hassle to walk/potty them in a place where I have a yard, etc... When I rented, my Corgi kept getting hook worms and I don't like that. Also, he almost was attacked by another dog.

I guess I'm 50/50. I like them both and I have one of each right now. I just finished fostering 4 kittens and they were adopted by a Mama cat who lost all but 1 of her babies. They are doing well.

I have owned all kinds of animals. They are each very special in their own way.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 10:18 pm

I love dogs and cats. I have a soft spot for both of them for different reasons. I also love having hamsters, rats, and rabbits in my family. Rabbits are like a mix of a dog/cat/rat in behaviour and it's great.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 11:14 pm

I love both cats and dogs. Weither they are gentle or not.seems.to depend on the specific cat.or.dog. I grew.up having both. Though.I prefer smaller.dogs or.cats for.my own situation because they can easily be inside a.smaller homes and still have have enough room. Though currently i do.not.have.any pets.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 11:33 pm

B O T H

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 11:49 pm

I've never not had a cat, since the day I was born.
I've had up to four cats at a time, as an adult with my own house.
I've almost always had a dog or two along with the cats.

I think my record was two big dogs with four cats.
I currently have three cats and one dog.

I have agoraphobia, so cats suit my lifestyle more.
I love my dog but it's tough to get out and walk him enough.

I actually think cats are just as much work as dogs though.
They might not need to be walked but they still need a lot of care.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 11:56 pm

Well I feel like by defualt I want a cat, but my boyfriend has reallly gotten into the idea of getting a pug, and a pug would need a companion for when we are not at home, so I am thinking if we had a cat companion for it that could work nicely, but not sure how to for sure get a cat that would be ok with a pug dog. LIke how can you know they would get along or not before introducing them.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 04 Jun 2023, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 12:07 am

I'd get them at the same time.
The next problem is that most cat places won't let you take a single kitten.
Kittens usually go in bonded pairs, or they want another young cat in the house.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 12:15 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'd get them at the same time.
The next problem is that most cat places won't let you take a single kitten.
Kittens usually go in bonded pairs, or they want another young cat in the house.

Well my other idea is having two cats andd introducing a pug to them, like appareently pugs are not very aggressive and just want to make friends with everything...but I feel some cats would get too annoyed by that. So I feel that woul have to be a consideration with getting both. Though if we put a cat tree up that would give the cat an escape if the dog is being too much for the cat. For sure if we got both we'd put up a cat tower so the cat can go up where the dog can't reach it if it needs a break.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jun 2023, 12:51 am

I know a guy who has 8 pugs, and I saw a car there too! On the counter to escape the pure friendly energy of the pugs. Wonder what it looks like at mealtimes.

I house sit so I have taken care of adorable cats, such as Garfield a friendly ginger cat and a parrot called Xena who hates cell phones with a passion. I have two households where there are each two beagles. I also love Dachshunds!

My most special dog was one I rescued as a tiny puppy while staying at a homeless shelter. He was a miniature Pinscher. I had almost thirteen happy years with him.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 6:22 am

I love both cats and dogs the same. I'd be happy with either a cat or a dog.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 6:36 am

I like both cats and dogs but I am a cat person and had cats all my life, my new cat is a rescue.