Page 3 of 100 [ 1595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 100  Next

LittleZiggy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2023, 9:56 am

nadroJ wrote:
I haven't been addicted to alcohol, but I have been addicted to Kratom for two years. It was helpful for my AS and ADHD, but worsened my pre-existing psychosis.

The Kratom was drug tested by a mental hospital facility: the Kratom was spiked with amphetamines, methadone and artificial THC's, so not just the naturally occurring bio-active compounds such as Mitragynine.

Basically, Kratom saved and ruined my life paradoxically. Is very expensive too!

Tried that years ago. I don't think it's still legal in the UK though.

I used to have it before I went for a run. It was kind of relaxing and energising all at the same time.

LittleZiggy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2023, 10:20 am

Rossall wrote:
On the Magners cider again today (Guinness is getting to expensive).

Don't seem to be able to get through the day and evening without a drink.

Going out tonight. I wasn't gonna drink but then I thought f*ck it, it's a good night for a beer.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 3:32 pm

I'm in recovery, though not from alcohol. Because this is a thread about alcohol I will refrain from talking about anything but alcohol. It seems that everyone has something. And the hole or 'void' or whatever it is that causes us to seek relief is similar. Not to glamourize drinking, but it is very nice to 'check out' from the uncomfortability of living sometimes. Be it anxiety, or hopelessness, or social struggles. The problem is that it stops working for those reasons and then drinking becomes about just being able to somewhat function and carry on with small tasks. Then, the drinker is screwed.

Good thread

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 3:46 pm

i used to be an alcoholic back in the 90s

as soon as my dad found out where i was he helped me quit and went to rehab to help recover

now i wont touch alcohol

LittleZiggy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2023, 5:20 pm

I've had two pints of lager and two large glasses of merlot tonight. I feel f*****g fantastic. Gave a load of verbal abuse to our neighbour who likes to piss out of his window (dirty f*****g bastard) I mean come on, life doesn't get much better than this.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 12:07 am

Sipping a couple ounces of Alberta Springs 10 year right now. It's a rather cheap whiskey, But, very very surprisingly butter smooth for the price (only $53 + sales tax & deposit for a 60 ounce bottle - that's VERY cheap.) & was very highly rated by some Irish whiskey rating guy that was recently in Canada to sample whiskeys here - mainly from Shelter Point - but he tried this and was super impressed so it made the news and now I know it's good vs. the gasoline I assumed it would be for such a low price point.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 1:26 am

f**k it; poured another double.

and guaranteed tmw night I’m going to be much drunker. Probably the drunkest I’ve been in years tbh - and possibly for years to come.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 10:23 am

Most of the people in my block seem to be alkies so I'm keeping myself to myself as hanging around with them might make me worse. (they're on the strong lager and Frosty Jacks strong cider).

On the Magners cider again today. At least it's only 4.5% vol alcohol. :P

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

LittleZiggy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2023, 10:38 am

Yeah a lot of people would class that as pop

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 11:05 am

I do drink. It's weird because I can have a couple and not think about it again for 6 months. Now if it was my DOC, it would be a completely different story. I'd be off to the races. Alcohol appeals to me when I'm having it with a meal (wine), or maybe a rum and coke, a margarita, etc... But, I have trouble tossing back the hard stuff. I don't like to feel a gag reflex, I have to gag down straight whisky or vodka.

It's simply not my 'go to.' Alcoholics and addicts are snobs, in a sense. Each thinks the other is the dregs of society, but it's all the same.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 11:16 am

Rossall wrote:
Most of the people in my block seem to be alkies so I'm keeping myself to myself as hanging around with them might make me worse. (they're on the strong lager and Frosty Jacks strong cider).

On the Magners cider again today. At least it's only 4.5% vol alcohol. :P

"Show me your friends, I'll show you your future," comes to mind. This why sometimes I make a point of hanging out with my sober friends at the beach and Maaaybe drinking 1 beer, otherwise just water/soda water. There's a whole crew of very athletic people there that have all quit drinking - good influences vs. the chronic alcoholics that are likely to die sooner/get cancer etc from their drinking. (Some of them drink like 12-18/day almost every day.)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 11:18 am

LittleZiggy wrote:
Yeah a lot of people alcoholics would class that as pop

Fixed it. 4.5% is only 10% lower than a standard beer.. not exactly water/pop etc, Unless you're a hardcore alcoholic justifying drinking a lot of them.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 11:21 am

Persephone29 wrote:
I do drink. It's weird because I can have a couple and not think about it again for 6 months. Now if it was my DOC, it would be a completely different story. I'd be off to the races. Alcohol appeals to me when I'm having it with a meal (wine), or maybe a rum and coke, a margarita, etc... But, I have trouble tossing back the hard stuff. I don't like to feel a gag reflex, I have to gag down straight whisky or vodka.

It's simply not my 'go to.' Alcoholics and addicts are snobs, in a sense. Each thinks the other is the dregs of society, but it's all the same.

And then there's definitely a hierarchy of snobs amongst drug users. Certain people think their DOC is "high society," and others are the losers kind of thing depending on which drug we're talking about.. but for the most part they're just better dressed losers eating more expensive food. But in some ways they sometimes have a point - just depends on peoples' level of addiction and behaviours etc which ones appear to be bigger losers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 12:18 pm

This is some pretty amazing alcoholics support: https://www.cheknews.ca/helping-out-a-p ... i-1156629/

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 4:53 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

And then there's definitely a hierarchy of snobs amongst drug users. Certain people think their DOC is "high society," and others are the losers kind of thing depending on which drug we're talking about.. but for the most part they're just better dressed losers eating more expensive food. But in some ways they sometimes have a point - just depends on peoples' level of addiction and behaviours etc which ones appear to be bigger losers.

Agreed. Lots of people drink, lots of people drink to the point of intoxication. Most people don't drink and drive, kill people, wind up in jail, drug court, etc. The behavior thing is probably the biggest indicator. People are well within their rights to destroy themselves, be functional alcoholics as long as they keep it to themselves.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 6:48 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Certain people think their DOC is "high society," and others are the losers kind of thing depending on which drug we're talking about..

When your DOC is whatever's handy it's hard to judge other people. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う