How would things be if all the guns in the world suddenly

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2023, 10:54 am

How would things be if all the guns in the world suddenly vanished into thin air?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 11:14 am

People would simply use another weapon. If that weapon also suddenly disappeared, they'd pick up something else. In places where guns are more difficult to get, you see more stabbings, blunt-force trauma etc. Humans will find a way to kill each other no matter what. Even themselves.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 11:19 am

It's significantly harder to kill people with knives and blunt weapons, so there'd be way fewer successful murders. That's demonstrated by varying homicide rates per country factoring in access to guns.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 12:28 pm

There'd be no need for bullets

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Jul 2023, 5:05 pm

People would start making their own homemade zip guns pretending that they're MacGyver

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 5:57 pm

No more firearms?  How very, very sad . . .

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2023, 6:26 pm

We would need a good bow. There is a limit to how close I want to get to a raccoon.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 6:35 pm

Guns of all kinds just magically "disappear" into thin air one day?

The world existed for eons before guns were invented.

If you're including the military in this world in which "guns" magically just disappear...its hard to imagine. But guns disappearing today would not change militaries today as much that miracle happening a hundred years ago would have because guns were more central to militaries in the early 20th Century than now.

Armies of the world would no longer have either big guns or small guns. No big artillery cannons, and no shoulder fired small arms. But we would still have guided missles. Bazookas and grenade launchers (which are more akin to rockets than to guns) would still exist. ICBMs would still exist. So nukes would still hang over our heads. Airforce planes would lose their machine guns but retain missles and gravity bombs. We would continue to develop kamikaze drones. Naval warfare is already dominated by guided missles more than by guns.

IF all guns and only guns would vanish than the militaries of the world actually wouldnt radically change all of that much. The balances of power would remain pretty much the same. It wouldnt eliminate war.

You could expand your magic disappearance to include not just guns, but to "all ordinance", and include rocket propelled missiles etc I suppose. Then that would end modern military forces as we know them. But they would just go back to using long bows and crossbows and catapults.

Police and civilian life would be affected. On one hand a little old lady wouldnt be able to shoot a big burly male home intruder. But on the other hand a spree killer wouldnt have even a blunderbuss (much less an AR 15) to shoot civilians en masse. You would have spree stabbings (which they do have in China but they dont wrack up the body count of spree shootings), and drive by shootings would be impossible though you could (and they do) use cars themselves as weapons of mass murder.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 6:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
Awesome collection :twisted: :mrgreen:
But I would rather have a brass-knuckles zip gun if people start making their own firearms more & I have a lot of $$$ to spare. Thou I have no clue how I'd aim it :huh:

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 6:43 pm

Fnord wrote:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 7:06 pm

SA rates would skyrocket.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2023, 11:49 pm

Large men would have a significant advantage in confrontations.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 4:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Guns of all kinds just magically "disappear" into thin air one day?

The world existed for eons before guns were invented.

If you're including the military in this world in which "guns" magically just disappear...its hard to imagine. But guns disappearing today would not change militaries today as much that miracle happening a hundred years ago would have because guns were more central to militaries in the early 20th Century than now.

Armies of the world would no longer have either big guns or small guns. No big artillery cannons, and no shoulder fired small arms. But we would still have guided missles. Bazookas and grenade launchers (which are more akin to rockets than to guns) would still exist. ICBMs would still exist. So nukes would still hang over our heads. Airforce planes would lose their machine guns but retain missles and gravity bombs. We would continue to develop kamikaze drones. Naval warfare is already dominated by guided missles more than by guns.

IF all guns and only guns would vanish than the militaries of the world actually wouldnt radically change all of that much. The balances of power would remain pretty much the same. It wouldnt eliminate war.

You could expand your magic disappearance to include not just guns, but to "all ordinance", and include rocket propelled missiles etc I suppose. Then that would end modern military forces as we know them. But they would just go back to using long bows and crossbows and catapults.

Police and civilian life would be affected. On one hand a little old lady wouldnt be able to shoot a big burly male home intruder. But on the other hand a spree killer wouldnt have even a blunderbuss (much less an AR 15) to shoot civilians en masse. You would have spree stabbings (which they do have in China but they dont wrack up the body count of spree shootings), and drive by shootings would be impossible though you could (and they do) use cars themselves as weapons of mass murder.

I heard some news stories about Russian soldiers needing to share guns & their military still caused a lot of damage so far.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 4:09 pm

No mass shootings, and it would be a big step in dismantling the redneck/hillbilly culture.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2023, 4:37 pm

human nature would not magically change. violence would take different forms. and it would not stop people from reinventing firearms. human nature basically sucks.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 6:40 am

Well, on one hand, it'd mean no school shootings and such. Sure, the people who want to kill will find ways to do so even without guns, but if they needed to use other types of weapons, there would be less victims than the same person could get with a gun.

On the other hand, with the war going on in Ukraine, Russia/Pootin might panic if the guns suddenly disappeared and rely on some extreme measures, like nuclear weapons. That'd be bad not only for Ukraine, but the whole world.