17 Aug 2023, 3:42 pm

But look at how cuddly and fuzzy wuzzy it is. :heart:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 6:06 pm

Misslizard wrote:
But look at how cuddly and fuzzy wuzzy it is. :heart:

I am convinced that "spider people" (my term for people who like spiders) are a different species of human altogether. :lol:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 6:27 pm

I’m not scared of spiders. For no real reason, I just find them and other bugs kind of gross.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2023, 8:58 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I’m not scared of spiders. For no real reason, I just find them and other bugs kind of gross.

Yeah, the gross aspect for me initiates a bit of fight or flight response, especially if the bugs are on or near me.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2023, 10:26 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I am shocked at the poll results. I thought it would be a clear lead for the 'yes' option in the poll. :o

I'd be curious to know how many of the no answers were from people with a related special interest.

Or perhaps missed out on that great documentary for the '80s, "Arachnophobia." I swear I couldn't open a box of cereal for years after that if it hadn't been properly sealed.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2023, 11:26 am

I used to be afraid of spiders, but exhausting yard work made too tired to feel fear one time. Now I'm used to them. I have this game called Kill It With Fire. It's about being an exterminator on a mission to kill spiders. You might find it therapeutic. The spiders can't hurt you. They might slow you down or surprise you, but they can't kill you and you can use ANYTHING to kill them.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2023, 3:57 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
I used to be afraid of spiders, but exhausting yard work made too tired to feel fear one time. Now I'm used to them. I have this game called Kill It With Fire. It's about being an exterminator on a mission to kill spiders. You might find it therapeutic. The spiders can't hurt you. They might slow you down or surprise you, but they can't kill you and you can use ANYTHING to kill them.

Thanks - I'll check it out! :D

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2023, 11:33 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:

TBH, I'm not afraid of outdoor spiders personally, it's specifically the indoor ones that keep me up at night. But, then again, the indoor spiders are significantly larger than the outdoor ones, so that may factor into it.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 7:40 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

TBH, I'm not afraid of outdoor spiders personally, it's specifically the indoor ones that keep me up at night. But, then again, the indoor spiders are significantly larger than the outdoor ones, so that may factor into it.

Speaking of larger, my first encounter with the large spider happened in the basement of my grandparents house. I was sitting on the couch when a huge orange one came out of an open vent above me. I was a toddler at the time.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 8:47 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Speaking of larger, my first encounter with the large spider happened in the basement of my grandparents house. I was sitting on the couch when a huge orange one came out of an open vent above me. I was a toddler at the time.

It seems you were acquainted with spiders from an early age. :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 8:52 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I voted "it depends." In the UK spiders are mostly harmless to humans, and I don't worry about their presence unless they touch me, which does scare me a little bit, but not unduly.

^What he said. There are no poisonous creatures in UK houses so we are pretty relaxed here. The only poisonous creature is outside, a snake called an adder, which is rarely seen and hardly ever kills anyone.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 9:15 am

I remember back in middle school some kid brought in a live tarantula for science class. The next day I caught a whole bunch of crickets around the house and they were all fed to it.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 9:55 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
I remember back in middle school some kid brought in a live tarantula for science class. The next day I caught a whole bunch of crickets around the house and they were all fed to it.

8O 8O 8O

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 10:01 am

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 10:28 am

Misslizard wrote:

I love jumping spiders. They are just so damn adorable.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 2:06 pm

I don't particularly enjoy the sensation of a spider crawling on me, but I am not afraid of them. I am a bit concerned that they may run up my shirt sleeve and I won't be able to easily get them off me, so I use a piece of paper or an envelope to pick them up, but I'm happy to let a spider in an unobtrusive place indoors stay as long as it clearly isn't a brown recluse (brown recluses and black widows are the only potentially dangerous ones in my area).

Arthropods in general were my first special interest, I suspect in part because they were the non-human creatures I had a chance to interact with most often. I remember when I was probably about three, finding a spider in the kitchen. I wanted to hold it but didn't want it on me, so I held out a book to it and kept calling "Here, spider!" trying to get it to climb onto it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"