Post a random historical fact about your town

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 8:46 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cecilfienkelstien wrote:
The Rolling Stones refused to ever play in my city after the police shut down a concert in the 60s.

At least the didn't hire the Hells Angels for security (again).

True.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 12:24 pm

When the govt decided to try to settle my town, they built this fort to use. The mosquitos were so bad, people kept getting malaria and dying... it was a mess. They ended up abandoning the place saying something about how no one could live in this swampy mess. A few years later they tried again though and dealt with the swampy-ness, and managed to get people to come live here. The weird bit though is that the fort was, and where the bodies got buried, is where the courthouse stands now. Every time I walk my dog through the yard there, I am walking over the bodies of the first people to try to settle here.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 2:20 am

old (reconstructed) roman bathhouse,
there was a time when the bottled water was sold under the promotion it contained radioactif radium
can't find that poster (vintage) online
the gist, to cure the skin take radioactif cream

everywhere.... if you dig a bit, there's heaps of medical garbage,
in the days did they always throw their medical holders out of the window? bottles, spoons, tubes and those glass things,
even in the newbuilt suburb, a dig found a layer of thrown away medicals, app. under the whole suburb, some great $$ handshake for the council, allowing that dump

and one houray for the chemical complex to have worked the pollution around, into the saviour complex for investors
:mrgreen: :jester: :nerdy: :skull:

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 12:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYXY7b9JBMY&t=1014s

There is also that small village near my town, where my distant relative, a relatively famous writer, came from - in the clip I gave you the link to above, you can see his so called "Memory Chamber" - his family's house where now all his belongings are gathered :) I own his most famous book - "Road Through the Village" about the people from said village, it contains also one short story about one of my ancestors :)

P.S. I just recalled one street in my town is named after this writer :D And one school in one of the neighbouring villages is also named after him :D

Last edited by Irulan on 25 Oct 2023, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 12:19 pm

I don't live near Winchester any more but I consider it my home town.

The best fact I know about it is that there's an old byelaw still in place which says that any busker playing a penny whistle is forbidden from playing Greensleeves more than three times in any given hour.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 7:57 am

This guy died around here.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 3:06 am

For a year or two in the 1830s my city was officially named "Batmania".