Which US State Would You Ideally Like To Live In?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 5:16 pm

If you were rich, and could live anywhere you wanted, regardless of having a job or not (money no object) - which US state would you like to live in, if any?

And what would be your reasons?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 5:33 pm

Martha's Vineyard, MA

Because I love it, and it's on the sea.

I could go boating and live on lobsters.

It's a blue state.

It has four seasons.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 8:50 pm

Pennsylvania

I was born, raised and educated in Pennsylvania. "Work" moved me elsewhere but I miss Pennsylvania.

I grew up in Chester County, west of Philadelphia (birthplace of the U.S.). But it has gotten more congested in the decades since I lived there. Now I would like to live a little further west where it is not as congested.

Plus, it has the advantage of proximity to relatives. My bride has family in Texas and Pennsylvania and I have family in Florida and Pennsylvania. And neither of us likes the climate in Texas or Florida.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 9:16 pm

None. The whole country is one giant hot soupy mess. But so is the rest of the world.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 9:19 pm

My favorite state that I've visited was Maine. I suspect that I would really like Washington or Oregon, but I've never been to the west coast.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 12:45 pm

I might actually stay in Michigan, but move to the UP. It's beautiful up there, tons of forests and not a lot of people. If money was no object, I'd buy a ton of land and go vanish into the woods somewhere in a small cabin. I could spend my days wandering around the woods when weather allowed and be lazy in front of a fire when it was too cold to go outside. Sounds like perfection to me.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 1:40 pm

I've mostly lived in the Northeast but I absolutely cannot stand winters and cold weather, so I moved to a very hot Southern state (southern part of Texas) and I love it. We had 100+ degree weather every day for more than a month and the humidity makes it feel even more oppressive and I'm completely fine with it. The state is red but the city where I live is blue.

I mean, my life is completely miserable and I cry every day and I didn't know it was possible to be in this much pain, but it has nothing to do with where I live, which I chose to move to because for me it's great.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 1:42 pm

bee33 wrote:
I've mostly lived in the Northeast but I absolutely cannot stand winters and cold weather, so I moved to a very hot Southern state (southern part of Texas) and I love it. We had 100+ degree weather every day for more than a month and the humidity makes it feel even more oppressive and I'm completely fine with it. The state is red but the city where I live is blue.

I mean, my life is completely miserable and I cry every day and I didn't know it was possible to be in this much pain, but it has nothing to do with where I live, which I chose to move to because for me it's great.

I'm the opposite of heat embracing. I am heat intolerant, so living in a hot country would be literal torture. I am grateful to live in the UK for that reason.

Last edited by blitzkrieg on 24 Sep 2023, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 1:52 pm

A temperate one without dangerous weather would be a start.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 2:10 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
A temperate one without dangerous weather would be a start.

The most dangerous weather in recent years has been where there have been wildfires, many of which were in temperate zones. I don't think there is anywhere that doesn't potentially have dangerous weather (even Vermont had floods), although much of Florida will not survive climate change and is the most threatened by hurricanes, so I wouldn't move there, or to many coastal areas.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 6:44 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I suspect that I would really like Washington or Oregon, but I've never been to the west coast.

IMO, do not visit Washington or Oregon because there is are a lot of awful things going on right now.

In Portland, lots of homelessness and gun violence is happening, but City leaders haven't done much about it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 7:17 pm

l was going to say the Washington Coastal areas.but ??. i think maybe somewhere in Colorado or New Mexico,
Possibly a different planet ..where the creatures are more similiar to me.

where ever you go ,there you are

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2023, 9:10 pm

Either Vermont of California.

Vermont: Most atheist, 4 seasons

California: Home state, love my options of redwoods, sand dudes, beaches, etc. People are chill withoit being overly in your business, tons of cultures blending, etc.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 3:02 pm

Don’t move to my state.
It has abundant natural disasters, temps from 15 below zero to 112 ( not figuring heat index from humidity)venomous snakes, stinging insects, poisonous plants, brain eating amoebas and meth heads.
Also too many new people.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 5:17 am

Euphoria.

Or failing that ...the state of heavy sedation.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 5:46 am

My first choice is Maryland. After that, NY, and NJ. PA and VA would be downgrades for me. I would not prefer the NE, the South, the West Coast or the SW, although there are places there I've enjoyed visiting. I have reasons I might want to live in Chicago although I don't know how I feel about the rest of the state. For some reason I have a soft spot for Michigan although I've only been there once. The rest of the country I am neutral about, including Delaware, although the countryside there is charming to drive through. Note there are a lot of places I've never been.