Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 2:05 pm

The school my kids go to had rules like “everyone gets stuff or no-one gets stuff”. Things like this can easily turn into bullying: give candy to everyone in your class except the one kid who always gets picked on. The cards say things like “have a happy valentine’s day” with a picture of spiderman. Not really like a love letter. More like a way for everyone in class to get candy.
And a card. A card as in a piece of tag board about one inch by two inches with a Disney character and holes punched in it to hold a lolly pop by the stick. Below a certain age that is all it is really about.

When I was already out of college and dating my then girlfriend (now wife) it was more fun. I had money to spend on her. She was traditional and liked classic gifts like a heart shaped box of candy and flowers (still does). Back then dinner at a nice restaurant was required. I had a couple of books on dating (yes I was such a geek I needed books to tell me the unwritten rules of the game, in writing). One of them said things like birthdays and Valentine’s day we’re basically required for dating-you got no points for honoring them, but you lost points big time if you didn’t. Not quite true but rather close to the mark. But done with a little thought and a little finesse it was fun for both of us.

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2024, 2:15 pm

yea we can celebrate anything we want to on any day but it's profitable and also convenient to set things on certain days for a large group of people.

I could choose to celebrate valentines with my husband on the 20th instead because of the birthdays that around the 14th that make the day more hectic.

We could save on discount chocolate and cards that way, too.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 1:44 pm

This pleases me:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68274158

The trouble with Deliveroo is that many of their cycling employees are a menace to pedestrians. Presumably Deliveroo puts undue pressure on their staff to deliver loads of stuff very quickly, and the staff devolve the problem onto innocent pedestrians by ignoring basic rules of courtesy and safety.

"we want fair compensation for the work we do. We are tired of being exploited and risking our lives every day".......He also claimed "couriers were exposed to "a lot of violence on the streets", especially in the evenings."

There we see how the pressure operates - ride at a safe speed and your pay drops to an intolerable level. The violence against them doesn't surprise me. I've felt sorely tempted to knock them off their bikes for carving me up. Some pedestrians aren't as nice as I am.

Therefore I'm glad to see we'll get a break from them. I won't be in the UK to enjoy it for myself, but my friends will. It also might encourage people to think of something a bit less stereotyped to do for Valentines Day. I propose that they get a decent pay rise on condition that they have clearly-visible registration numbers so that pedestrians can report them for dangerous riding. But I doubt the company will be interested.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 1:48 pm

We're just going to hang out and have a quiet day.
He's still sick with Mono but we don't like going out anyway.
He can't eat much anyway because his throat still hurts.
I haven't caught it yet so we've decided I must be immune.

Tim the Enchanter
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2024, 1:53 pm

It is an excuse to sell chocolate, gift cards, and diamonds.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 2:44 pm

First, I'll watch Om Nom stories on YouTube. After that, I'll rent a Care Bears movie on YouTube.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Feb 2024, 5:26 pm

My girlfriend has a CT scan of her sinuses on the 14th that was scheduled a couple months ago. Dunkin Donuts is across the street from the place so we'll probably go there afterwards since it'll be around the time we normally eat our so-called breakfast. I have a routeine doc appointment tomorrow that was scheduled a couple months ago & it's kinda around the the same time so we'll eat out tomorrow either Mc.Donald's, Burger King, or Five Guys since they're on our bus route home. It's gonna be kinda hard to fit in cooking either day. We also need to do a little shopping maybe after Cass's scan & she has a routeine doc appointment scheduled for Friday so a few days are is kinda screwed up for both of us.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 8:32 pm

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

Jewelry commercials like to push the thought that diamonds are forever. In my chemistry classes, I like to point out that diamonds are not forever based upon the thermodynamics of carbon. They are formed under high temperature and high pressure conditions. Once they have been removed from those conditions, they are very slowly reverting back to the carbon form that they crystallized from. It takes millions and millions of years, but they will eventually become either coal or graphite on the surface of Earth.

My favorite Valentines Day chemistry video to show is the burning of a flawless diamond using a blow torch and liquid oxygen. The diamond “melts” away into carbon dioxide gas. DeBeers donated a imperfect diamond to make one of the videos for science education, likely as a tax write-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzah-TE ... dlbg%3D%3D

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 3:28 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Tim the Enchanter wrote:

Jewelry commercials like to push the thought that diamonds are forever. In my chemistry classes, I like to point out that diamonds are not forever based upon the thermodynamics of carbon. They are formed under high temperature and high pressure conditions. Once they have been removed from those conditions, they are very slowly reverting back to the carbon form that they crystallized from. It takes millions and millions of years, but they will eventually become either coal or graphite on the surface of Earth.

My favorite Valentines Day chemistry video to show is the burning of a flawless diamond using a blow torch and liquid oxygen. The diamond “melts” away into carbon dioxide gas. DeBeers donated a imperfect diamond to make one of the videos for science education, likely as a tax write-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzah-TE ... dlbg%3D%3D

Commercials want to force men into proposing to their girlfriends by saying it the romantic time of the year.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 3:38 am

I don’t know why they say diamonds are the girl best friend, that not true for me. I don’t like diamonds now, they tooooo expensive.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Feb 2024, 8:34 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I don’t know why they say diamonds are the girl best friend, that not true for me. I don’t like diamonds now, they tooooo expensive.
They say diamonds are a symbol for your love. However they don't directly say that buying diamonds is a sign that a guy is willing to spend a lot of money on his partner even if he can not really afford to & it's not practical to blow his money proving his love when he could spend it on something to benefit the both of them. There's a reason criminals rob jewelry stores & the high price & popularity of diamonds is why.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 9:17 am

I made my own Valentine's Day Card for tomorrow. It's a surprise

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 11:09 am

honeytoast wrote:
I made my own Valentine's Day Card for tomorrow. It's a surprise

That's the right way IMO. The great thing is that you have to think of your own message, if you want a message at all. Much more creative and genuine than buying a ready-made one where somebody else wrote the message - it's like paying somebody to do your romancing for you.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 11:10 pm

nick007 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
They say diamonds are a symbol for your love. However they don't directly say that buying diamonds is a sign that a guy is willing to spend a lot of money on his partner even if he can not really afford to & it's not practical to blow his money proving his love when he could spend it on something to benefit the both of them. There's a reason criminals rob jewelry stores & the high price & popularity of diamonds is why.

Give the gift of carbon nanotubes. They are much more useful than a typical shiny diamond.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 11:15 pm

Valentines day for Australians is the 14th Feb

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 11:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Valentines day for Australians is the 14th Feb

I think it's the 14th everywhere. I had my dates muddled when I last posted, and thought today was the 14th. Luckily I found out in time to avoid looking silly.