Anyone has both wall scrolls and cats?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 1:28 pm

It's impossible to have scrolls, especially hung on walls, when cats are around, isn't it?

Yesterday night my kitten was on a nearby piece of furniture... while I was asleep, just twenty centimeters away... and she was throwing punches (or so it looked like) at this Nightmare Before Christmas scroll... and wouldn't stop until I woke up and cuddled her.

And even then. She stayed near my feet and played with them with their paws... I was trying to sleep, she was trying to play.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 2:17 pm

They won't bother stuff behind framed glass.

Having cats, I've learned not to hang coats on chair backs. Better to drop clothes on a chair seat or floor--then they will sit or lie on top of it instead of scratching at it.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 3:00 pm

Buy your cat a scratcher and put it near a place it likes scratching(for example the wall scroll if it is cats favorite scratching spot). Then every time cat tries to scratch anything you don't want to be scratched you take the cat and show it the scratcher. Cats are smart, they will learn it is their scratching spot and they shouldn't scratch somewhere else.

I have 2 cats and huge house. I don't have wall scrolls but I have a lot of wallpapers they loved to scratch and they used to scratch some furniture too. But now all they scratch is a scratcher in one spot of the house (our younger cat scratches that - she was taught by being moved to the scratcher, the scratcher is by a wall it liked to scratch before we bought the scratcher) and a tree in garden (the older cat scratches that - she was moved outside everytime she started scratching something).

Night play is similar thing. You need to play with it enough before going to bed or during the day and invariably ignore the cat when it wants to play at night. It will learn "day is for play - night is for sleep" soon enough. Alternatively you an put around the house enough cat toys at night so it can play by itself and not get bored.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Jun 2015, 4:00 pm

They won't scratch as much if their claws are trimmed regularly.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 2:07 pm

They don't so much scratch them as pummel them... just like to see them swing, apparently... still a risk of damage... and wall scrolls aren't normally framed...