Do you get nervous around police officers or police cars?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 10:48 am

Even though I know I'm doing nothing wrong and have no reason to actually be nervous, I still at times get nervous when I'm near a police officer or a police car.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 10:55 am

I don't get nervous per se - I get suspicious and aversive. I do not like police. Will not cooperate with them in any way that won't get me arrested and some that will. There is a difference between being afraid of them, which I am not, and disliking them and their whole culture, which I do.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 11:04 am

No -- I generally wave to them. They have helped me on a number of occasions, and if it weren't for them, my seedy neighborhood would be more dangerous than it is. I'm glad they are out and visible around the town.

There Are Four Lights!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 3:43 pm

Definitely. I get very nervous.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:13 pm

I have no problem with the police. Why should I be when I'm a law-abiding citizen? I'm glad when I see them doing their job like pulling over someone for driving like a moron in broad daylight. There's not a lot of violent crime where I live but I've been seeing them more often this summer when I've gone to public events and stuff and that actually makes me feel safer.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:16 pm

No.
I know them pretty well because I live in a small town.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:34 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I have no problem with the police. Why should I be when I'm a law-abiding citizen?

No such thing. In modern culture, there are more laws on the books than you can possibly know about. No matter how innocent you think you are, you have unknowingly violated many laws, and probably do so on a daily basis. You've just been fortunate enough so far, not to have been prosecuted for any of your many violations.

With the nonstop encroachment of the Intelligence Surveillance Police State, everyone's trespasses are being noted and catalogued, until such time as The State perceives you as a viable obstacle, at which time you will be taken into custody and liquidated, or at least threatened and intimidated into acquiescence.

In the USA, the Patriot Act has already effectively suspended and stripped you of your (former) Constitutional Rights. You need only be listed a "potential terrorist threat." Key word being "potential." As in "expressing political opinions deemed by the Establishment Media Consensus as "hate speech."

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:13 pm

Not unless they seemed like they were paying a lot of attention to me in particular, in which case I would be afraid of being falsely accused of something. Otherwise, I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't have any reason to be nervous. Now, if I could drive, I would probably be very nervous around police cars for fear that I was doing something wrong that I didn't know about and I was going to get in big trouble for it, but for now, that isn't an issue.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 5:46 am

Used to, but not anymore.

SubaCine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2017, 2:43 pm

NewTime wrote:
Even though I know I'm doing nothing wrong and have no reason to actually be nervous, I still at times get nervous when I'm near a police officer or a police car.

This happens to me as well and I've wondered if it had anything to do with ASD because nobody else I know seems to have this problem. I get extremely nervous. And if I'm stopped next to a police car at a stop light I feel like I have to calculate in my mind how to "act natural", which is always worse and seems to look more natural.

Every time I have gotten pulled over I get extremely shakey, and the officer can tell that I'm extremely nervous, which makes the officer way more suspicious. One time the officer started off super friendly but after seeing how shakey and nervous I was, started asking if I was on drugs and put me through a flashlight/eye test.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 3:11 pm

NewTime wrote:

These days it seems you don't have to be doing anything wrong to face police brutality, so I can at least see some reason to be nervous.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 3:28 pm

will@rd wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I have no problem with the police. Why should I be when I'm a law-abiding citizen?

No such thing. In modern culture, there are more laws on the books than you can possibly know about. No matter how innocent you think you are, you have unknowingly violated many laws, and probably do so on a daily basis. You've just been fortunate enough so far, not to have been prosecuted for any of your many violations.

With the nonstop encroachment of the Intelligence Surveillance Police State, everyone's trespasses are being noted and catalogued, until such time as The State perceives you as a viable obstacle, at which time you will be taken into custody and liquidated, or at least threatened and intimidated into acquiescence.

In the USA, the Patriot Act has already effectively suspended and stripped you of your (former) Constitutional Rights. You need only be listed a "potential terrorist threat." Key word being "potential." As in "expressing political opinions deemed by the Establishment Media Consensus as "hate speech."

It would seem it is the Trump administration that likes to look the other way when it comes to hate speech, white supremacy and neo-nazism...is actually the one trying to induce a police state, not the opposing side.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 4:07 pm

will@rd wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I would say the current state of police behavior is due more to police culture, individual officers letting their ego get in the way of their duty, and generally poor training than a government conspiracy. Let me put it this way, I have two cousins (brothers) who are police officers, neither one of them has ever mentioned anything along the lines of what you're talking about, but both have repeatedly demonstrated outside their official capacity (an probably in as well), that they are both major pricks with major prick attitudes-- even their own mother, my biological aunt, has expressed: 'I can't believe you two pricks came out of my body.' That, in a nutshell, is what I think the root cause is.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 4:24 pm

Yeah, I can relate to that, New Time. Despite not having any reason to, I often feel uncomfortable in their presence.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 11:51 am

Sometimes. I have gotten pulled over before not even realize I was going too fast and not knowing I had one behind me which is why I always look in my rear view mirror whenever I see one just to be sure they aren't following me. I discovered you won't be pulled over for not using a turn signal. They don't enforce it is why so if you forget to use it, no biggie. They also won't pull you over for going five above here in Portland or going two above because I have made that error and there was a police car and they didn't go after me. But in a town in Montana, they would pull you over for going five above or two. So yeah you do have a reason to be nervous about police officers because every area is different and you don't know that is enforced and what isn't. Is your speedometer accurate, are you going the exact speed it's posted or are you going a mile too fast? "Oh no I was going 42 and the speed limit is 40, is he going to go after me now? *sees he isn't* "oh good, hooray."

But in Gary, Indiana, they do not enforce running red lights or stop signs and in fact I read on Reddit it is encourage to not worry about red lights and stop signs because the town is so unsafe they just want you to get out of there ASAP. 8O A police officer actually pulled one of them over for stopping at a red light just to tell them to ignore those and stop signs and just get out of town because it's very unsafe. I was like wow I can go there and actually run red lights and stop signs risking getting into an accident. Very scary.

But if I see a police officer alone, I don't worry. None of them have ever stopped me or questioned me but if I am moving things into a truck in the middle of the night from my home, I will be expecting a police officer, same as if I wish to dig through my own recycling bin on the curb.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Sep 2017, 8:10 pm

NewTime wrote:
Are you a minority by any chance like African American or Hispanic because there's lots of news stories lately about "some" bad cops who have been beating or killing members of those groups. It's very understandable why minority groups would be afraid of the police. That said I know there's lots of good cops out there; my cousin's husband is one & does CSI. I haven't interacted with police much but I try to be polite & things went OK. I do get alittle nervous thou but go about my business when passing & they leave me be.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition