Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Mrrandomman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2015, 3:18 pm

What is your favorite paranormal creature? Ex: Sasquatch, Loch Ness Monster, Mothman, extra.

Mine would have to be the Chupacabre :skull: :skull: :skull:

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 4:08 pm

When I was in high school, I was huge into werewolves and lycanthropy. I read full books about the mythology, and in particular the supposedly "real" werewolves in history (back in medieval times, there were people who were convicted and executed for being a "werewolf": Gilles Garnier, Peter Stumpp, etc.). That stuff was just really interesting to me.

To call myself a massive horror movie buff would be an understatement. I have my particular focus on various sub-genres, but werewolf films have always been a fondness of mine and I'll literally watch any that I find, no matter how bad it looks (I know people who are the same with zombies or bigfoot movies).

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2015, 4:28 pm

Werewolves are fascinating. I find them inherently tragic and for some reason always associate them with my beloved 19th century.

My personal favorites are the hybrid half man - half fish creatures inhabiting the town of Innsmouth in Lovecraft's story "The Shadow over Innsmouth". It's probably the one horror tale that I liked reading best so far.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm

The Three Graces (mythology----some think they are meant to be Zeus' daughters).

Also, I've always really loved Centaurs, unicorns, and Pegasus.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 5:30 pm

SweetTooth wrote:
Werewolves are fascinating. I find them inherently tragic and for some reason always associate them with my beloved 19th century.

My personal favorites are the hybrid half man - half fish creatures inhabiting the town of Innsmouth in Lovecraft's story "The Shadow over Innsmouth". It's probably the one horror tale that I liked reading best so far.

Oh man, I forgot about Lovecraftian creatures. I guess they're not as much "folklore" as they are largely limited to his mythos, but I'd put the Elder Ones somewhere on my list.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 11:50 am

I like the Wampus Cat (of Cherokee mythology), as well as jackalopes, unicorns, the Phoenix, and Turul (Hungarian mythical bird of prosperity).

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 11:53 am

Vampires and demons are great.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm

E.T of course, who else? Or yellow-eyed aliens with green or blue hair, including eyelashes and eyebrows. Walking on their toes like cats, and not talking too much.

And werewolves, of course. I love dogs and wolves, but you better not try taking their food away while they eat.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 5:08 pm

WitchsCat wrote:
I like the Wampus Cat (of Cherokee mythology).....

I'm Cherokee, and I think, maybe, you might be thinking of an Ewah, instead of a Wampus Cat? The story of the Ewah is about a woman who hid herself in a cougar's skin (I think it was), so she could eavesdrop on the elder tribesman around a campfire. She was found-out; and to punish her, she was turned into a half-woman / half-cat creature. Is that the one you mean?

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 6:24 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
WitchsCat wrote:
I like the Wampus Cat (of Cherokee mythology).....

I'm Cherokee, and I think, maybe, you might be thinking of an Ewah, instead of a Wampus Cat? The story of the Ewah is about a woman who hid herself in a cougar's skin (I think it was), so she could eavesdrop on the elder tribesman around a campfire. She was found-out; and to punish her, she was turned into a half-woman / half-cat creature. Is that the one you mean?

Thanks for pointing that out. I did reread the article on the Wampus cat, and it is a creature of American folklore rather than Cherokee mythology, although it has been compared to the Ewah.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 6:40 pm

You're quite welcome!!

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 12:19 am

I like the vampires that appear in a certain horror story.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 10:29 pm

Werewolves since I just read Anne Rice's books (& I don't often read fiction). And vampires too!

Campin_Cat, that's cool! I hadn't known of the Ewah.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 12:37 am

I like black cats that have the pea green eyes that glow in the dark. I also like unicorns, pea-like beings that come in the form of Peahawks and On Noms and aliens.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 7:19 pm

I watch a lot of werewolf movies, though not a lot of them are very appealing. I used to check out a lot of books on mythology and the paranormal from the library, including ones about mundane lycanthropy.

Late Phases is a recent werewolf movie that's a lot of fun, by the way. The protagonist is a blind, elderly man.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

Many strange creatures listed here...

But I'd have to say humans are the weirdest of all.