Denmark or Sweden be like for a British Aspie?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:19 pm

Just wondering what it would be like to move there. Presumably things are similarly priced, most people speak English, people are reasonably accepting, the ladies look good and the Internet is fast.

Any thoughts from the locals? I'm just a trifle bored and this has been on my mind a little.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:21 pm

If it's good for a British Aspie, then it must be paradise for an American Aspie.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:34 pm

I'm part Danish, but I've never been there. :(

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:35 pm

Is it true that in Sweden, you can strut around nude in public?

Tim

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 10:37 pm

lol I have no idea! That would be hilarious if it was though!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Oct 2007, 10:41 pm

i want to live in norway, noway is cool! but i'll settle for northern arizona

SuperSteve
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2007, 4:18 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Is it true that in Sweden, you can strut around nude in public?

Tim

as fun as it would be to fool you all, and say yes;....no

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 4:41 am

Have you ever seen the average Swedish woman? If nudity in public were allowed, many men would suffer from a too high blood pressure :wink:

I would love to move to Norway or Sweden. Problem is to find a job. Even though almost everyone speaks English quite well, they require fluent Norwegian or Swedish for almost every job :(

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 5:41 am

crackedpleasures wrote:
Have you ever seen the average Swedish woman? If nudity in public were allowed, many men would suffer from a too high blood pressure :wink:

I would love to move to Norway or Sweden. Problem is to find a job. Even though almost everyone speaks English quite well, they require fluent Norwegian or Swedish for almost every job :(

What does the average Swedish woman look like?

Tim

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2007, 5:50 am

If you've got anything resembling ambition, Sweden is pretty much hell these days. But, if you fancy a carefree life of slacking, this is the place to go. Burn your passport, make up a story of how you're a marxist homosexual from some religious country, persecuted for your views and sexuality, and memorize the phrase "Var är socialkontoret?" and you'll be settled here in no-time. If they doubt your story, tell them how much you hate "racism" and Bush's foreign policy and the authorities here will love you - perhaps screaming "Almout li Amrika" will help too.

Personally I don't get why anyone would want to move here these days though, the migration numbers speak for themselves.. Swedes leaving in large numbers while people from third world countries practically invade, expecting a free lunch.

It can be frustrating meeting hopelessness everywhere you go as well, people that have gotten accustomized to the government blocking your way at every turn and internalized the feeling of not being able to achieve anything because of that.

You have to love the political system too.. It's considered a "hate crime" if a majority group(Swedes or Christians) expresses a negative view of a minority, but it isn't if members of a minority group targets Swedes for violence because of their nationality. This place is a madhouse these days, politicial correctness taken 100% to the absurd.

As far as language goes, I think you can get a job here knowing only English, I met an American last year that had been here for 15 years and still hadn't bothered learning our language fully, he still got by.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 7:07 am

Have you ever visited Britain? It feels the same here.

SuperSteve
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2007, 7:33 am

While it is true that we accept far too many immigrants (50% of Iraqi refugees fled here), we are still generally better of than one hell of a lot of countries. Our health care (which is free) ranks among the best in the world. Taxes are high, sure, but we also maintain a standard that reflects that. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of sexuality. We also haven't been to war for more than 200 years.

The shift in government some years ago caused quite a lot of turmoil, when we went from the nigh-communist social-democrats to the capitalistic idiots of the Moderates, but even the Moderates are left-wing liberals when compared to the "leftest" party in the states, the Democrats.

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2007, 8:01 am

SuperSteve wrote:
Our health care (which is free) ranks among the best in the world.

If you're willing to wait a few years to be serviced and can accept if they decide your condition isn't problematic enough to warrant treatment.

Quote:
Freedom of speech, freedom of religion

Of course. :-) That's why our government can sentence us to prison for speaking our minds, especially under "grov hets mot folkgrupp". That's the more severe criminal charge that gives at least six months and at most four years in prison, yet people have been charged with it for simply saying that homosexuality has a destructive effect on the nation. See http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/isidorpub/Prin ... ogramID=99 for example.

In today's Sweden, not being "politically correct" means the government can lock you up. Freedom of speech and religion is dead and buried.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2007, 10:50 am

How can certain famous Swedish websites (TPB being one) stay open then?

SuperSteve
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2007, 10:55 am

Quote:
yet people have been charged with it for simply saying that homosexuality has a destructive effect on the nation.

...and rightly so, for stating that as a fact is nothing short of "grov hets mot folkgrupp", aka. "Agitation against an ethnic group" (hate speech). Had they instead formulated it as "It is my opinion/belief that homosexuality has this or that negative effect on society" they could not be convicted, for that would fall under freedom of speech. What they did was instead creating a professional-looking pamphlet, trying to, and I quote, "create meaningful, objective debate for the Swedish educational system". This goal was mostly lost when deciding to use the "objective" sentence "homosexuality has a derogatory effect on the morals of the Swedish people" (stated as fact). That is why I'd say they deserve every bit of sentence they get, trying to hide behind a law that was in no way meant to protect people like them.

If we didn't have freedom of speech, neither religious fanatics nor neo nazis would be allowed to organize their little organizations, much less be allowed to publicly protest and propagate. The police are always present at these, and most other forms of protests to make sure that the law is being aboded to.

Quote:
If you're willing to wait a few years to be serviced and can accept if they decide your condition isn't problematic enough to warrant treatment.

Would you rather be denied treatment on the grounds that your wallet wouldn't cover it? Or denied it because of your religion? or race? or sexual preference? for you see, THAT is the kind of things that happen in countries that REALLY don't have freedom of speech, religion and sexuality.

...And back on topic: concerning Asperger and the likes, I think Sweden might be one of the most accepting/liberal countries. Also, Me and my family are planning a trip to London, and the feeling I'm getting is that compared to here, Britain is effing expensive, at least some things. one pound is roughly equal to 14 or 15 swedish kronor.

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2007, 12:29 pm

SuperSteve wrote:
Fedaykin wrote:
yet people have been charged with it for simply saying that homosexuality has a destructive effect on the nation.

...and rightly so, for stating that as a fact is nothing short of "grov hets mot folkgrupp", aka. "Agitation against an ethnic group" (hate speech).

I just don't get how anyone can translate an opinion on something someone does as an attack on an ethnic group. The Swedish government can arbitrarily incarcerate just about anyone for having an unauthorized opinion. What frightens me is that people here actually accept it and accept that it's only a "hate crime" if a minority is targeted, not a majority - see the definition quoted in a recent BRÅ report. Homosexuals weren't added as an "ethnic group" until like five years ago, and this was in an environment where there's hardly any violence against them at all - this addition was merely to restrict freedom of speech even further.

Quote:
That is why I'd say they deserve every bit of sentence they get, trying to hide behind a law that was in no way meant to protect people like them.

Actually, when the freedom of speech was established in the constitution, they intended for everyone to be able to express their political views and even when the law of HMF was introduced, they wrote it should only be used in very clear cases of attacks on actual ethnic groups. This was nothing of the sorts. I'm very disappointed in you for expressing the view above, it's sad how people can lack the guts to stand up against this clear case of censorship, the political debate in Sweden has been gradually silenced the last 15 or so years, so now you must be very careful to restrict what matters you speak out on if you don't want to face the government's wrath.

Really, you should read the line you wrote again - reconsider your attitude. You're betraying your fellow man in order to get approval in a totalitarian political climate. It's simply disgusting, it's not something that belongs in a society that should be free. If Sweden is fully transformed into a Soviet republic, it'll be thanks to people like you. Better hope the government doesn't get its eyes on you at that time.

Quote:
Would you rather be denied treatment on the grounds that your wallet wouldn't cover it? Or denied it because of your religion? or race? or sexual preference? for you see, THAT is the kind of things that happen in countries that REALLY don't have freedom of speech, religion and sexuality.

I guess you must have been watching too much SVT - where in the western world do they deny medical treatment to people based on religion, race or sexuality? And fact is, you get much better care with an insurance in the US than with the public healthcare here in Sweden.

Quote:
...And back on topic: concerning Asperger and the likes, I think Sweden might be one of the most accepting/liberal countries. Also, Me and my family are planning a trip to London, and the feeling I'm getting is that compared to here, Britain is effing expensive, at least some things. one pound is roughly equal to 14 or 15 swedish kronor.

Sweden is as expensive as it gets - check the difference in electronics prices between the US and here - expect 40% to 100% higher prices here, compare pricerunner.se with for example newegg.com. And, all the paperwork you have to go through to start up a business here is very problematic for people with AS, many more of us could employ ourselves in meaningful ways if we didn't have this economic system.

Btw, Tequila asking about thepiratebay - our government doesn't really concern itself much with copyright and real crime - only with thought crime. This is the place where people sentenced with murder can walk away with less than four years in prison, and the average murderer only spends 8.8 years.