Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Nov 2007, 8:06 pm

I was riding the bus, and growing irritated at the way two girls at the front kept looking in my general direction while conversing. I always find this confusing, since they are not talking to me, or about me. (I could hear them). Two guys who had gotten on after us, starting saying something from the back of the bus. One of the girls said, "Are you talking to me?" The guy spoke louder, accusing the girl of looking repeatedly at him. I thought this was funny, because I'd been thinking the same thing! Well, the girls got very excited, and started hurling verbal abuse. She got out her cell phone, and said she was going to call her brother to meet her at the bus stop, and have him kick this guy's ass. He came to the front of the bus and demanded to speak to her brother on the phone. Meanwhile, the bus driver kept driving erratically, pulling over and then pulling back into traffic, while shouting at the arguing people to calm down. I was afraid we'd get into an accident, and got off the bus three blocks ahead of my stop.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 9:23 pm

Marvelous how some people thrive on stirring up trouble. Terrible when it brings danger to life and limb. You were wise to get off that bus when you did, Hartz. :o

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 9:29 pm

If I were in that situation, I'd pray to dear God that the people arguing with each other didn't start targeting the abuse at me. To make it look like I'm minding my own business, I'd look out the window. If either of them asked me something about the situation, I'd just say: "I don't know, I wasn't paying attention, so I'd rather not get involved". And like you, hartzofspace, I'd get off ahead of my stop too.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 9:32 pm

Poor Hartz ! !
I recently had me car in the shop, and had to make do with the bus. Not a pleasant experience, but a lot calmer than yours. Here, everyone just stares out the windows like they're anthesitized.

Aren't the drivers In Florida USA trained how to handle such situations?? Like stop the bus, and confront the troublemakers??? One of the drivers here told one bloke she'd personally throw him out the door after he was a bit short of change for the fare (! !)

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 9:38 pm

Quote:
One of the drivers here told one bloke she'd personally throw him out the door after he was a bit short of change for the fare (! !)

When I was in Edmonton they had little envelopes for people to put money in to pay for passengers without fare - I saw a lot of people do it.

And the bus driver in Montreal let me on when my card wouldn't swipe.

The only other place I've ridden a bus is in Pittsburgh. If I hadn't stopped to ask the driver how to put the money in the thing, I've no doubt he wouldn't have realied I didn't have a student id that let me ride for free.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 9:44 pm

Triangular_Trees, I've lived in Montreal and Edmonton! In Edmonton I was fined $110 for going into the Light Rail Transit without a pass or ticket. It's normally $500 but since I acted all ignorant and had my passport with me, I was able to convince them without actually saying it that I was from out of town. :D

All these bus accidents are the reason me and my mother are taking the train to Vancouver rather than the bus!

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

19 Nov 2007, 11:29 pm

I would be tempted to remain and watch the ensuing battle (if one were to erupt): but yeah, getting off was probably the safest thing. (*sigh*) :hmph:

(I like watching social confrontations because it's like reality TV, only better because it IS real, and there are no commercial breaks.)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Nov 2007, 1:26 am

Aspie1 wrote:
If I were in that situation, I'd pray to dear God that the people arguing with each other didn't start targeting the abuse at me. To make it look like I'm minding my own business, I'd look out the window. If either of them asked me something about the situation, I'd just say: "I don't know, I wasn't paying attention, so I'd rather not get involved". And like you, hartzofspace, I'd get off ahead of my stop too.

At first I kept staring out the window, hoping that it would die down. But, like Sleepydragon said, some people thrive on trouble! There was a point when it looked like it would die down, but one of the girls started making racist remarks at the guy, who then got angry and came to the front of the bus. At this point, they were too close for comfort. If a fight broke out, I could have gotten hurt. And I also got the impression that these people were enjoying being angry and confrontational. So, best to clear out!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Nov 2007, 1:28 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Aren't the drivers In Florida USA trained how to handle such situations?? Like stop the bus, and confront the troublemakers??? One of the drivers here told one bloke she'd personally throw him out the door after he was a bit short of change for the fare (! !)

I think the drivers are usually on top of things, but this broke out so suddenly, I think the driver was overwhelmed. Still, I do think that he should have pulled over and thrown some of them off the bus, rather than continue driving erratically. Or called the law.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Nov 2007, 7:12 am

heh, jeeze, u pay for the ride but get the free show. I woulda definatly gotton off whenever I could have been close enough to walk, tho I would be afriad I would miss somethin. heh.

I wonder why all the girls were looking at the guys on the bus, maby they liked all u guys or were checkin ya all out, and took offence when the guy they were looking at got mad about it.

I woulda smiled at them :D if they staired at me, hehe.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 7:14 am

That's very silly. Those people should have been kicked off.

WhiteRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2007, 1:28 pm

sounds like fun

being 6'4" and not exactly skinny, i know that i can handle threats such as that, and would of just waited for the brother and beaten the crap out of him

(how many eople here have seen a guy with ADD/ADHD in a fight, they virtually always win)

Adrie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2007, 2:08 pm

I've seen a couple of loud arguments in London buses and I try not to give them my attention, but they've never affected the bus driver to the point of driving without enough caution...That IS scary. It's good you got off when you did.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 3:23 pm

It happens 2 me a lot stupid loud skool kids n wannabe gangstas always laughin, shoutin n screamin it does my head in but wot i normally do is get off 2 or 3 stops earlier n den use a short cut so dat i can catch a train which is my prefered transport as i never had problems using it.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 3:37 pm

WhiteRaven wrote:
sounds like fun

being 6'4" and not exactly skinny, i know that i can handle threats such as that, and would of just waited for the brother and beaten the crap out of him

(how many eople here have seen a guy with ADD/ADHD in a fight, they virtually always win)

Hahaha, I can hold my own against morons my age who attempt to beat me up.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Nov 2007, 6:16 pm

It was pretty disturbing, I guess. You guys that are posting are lucky to be big and strong and capable of handling any physical conflict. I am female, five feet three inches, and petite. I opted to remove myself from the danger. :wink: BTW, I've been riding the buses in this city for nearly four years, and never saw such a display. I have seen fights break out on the street, though.