Smoking Around Kids is Child Abuse

Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:34 pm

Technically, it isn't child abuse because the word abuse( ab-use) means using something in an in inappropriate way. One isn't using/ab-using a child, just smoking in front of it.

Myrkabah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2007, 1:45 pm

Would it be child abuse to allow a child to smoke? If so, at what age would it no longer be abuse?

Is it abuse to smoke with an adult in the room?

What about if you allowed a child to drink? Would that be abuse?

If so, how much? Would a glass of wine at dinner be child abuse?

Where exactly do you draw the line, here?

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:49 pm

I agree with you about it being wrong to smoke that near them. My grandfather died of cancer because of his smoking. My poor father had no choice growing up with his father constantly smoking aroung him. For a while my dad smoked, but he quit. I know he would surely be disgusted if he fuond me smokeing around children, for a number of personal reasons I don't even know about yet.

To mention how quikly it effects a kid, let me just say what I took in one time. Well, we were at this building during the fall. There was this loud concert or something going on in the main room. There was a hallway just outside of this crowded room. The noise drove me crasy, as a noisy crowds did for me back then. I just couldn't bare to be in there, so I went out into the hallway. There were a number of adults smoking inside the hallway, and the doors were right behind them!

Talk about nerve... I went in and out of the building. I did that for five minutes at most. It was cold outside, but the dumbies inside were smoking. Just a half hour later, my lungs hurt so much. It was painful to breath for a short while. Uncomfortable squeezing feeling. I felt that at least three seperate times, years later. Now, I'm kind of 'used to it', since I have been occasionaly exposed to smokers in public. Since my father had it everyday, I can only imagine what damage it might have caused.

Banning smokeing is, unfortuantly, not possible thanks to the addicted ones who decided to start useing. I think we all can do so much better without smoke poison at all. Our lungs are still taking in enough unthinkable stuff. Eghast fumes, mold, germs, cleaning chemicles, other chemicles, factories, ect. God only knows what we are breathing besides oxogine. We don't need a cigaret's help in catching bad things. 'sigh'

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 14 Dec 2007, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:56 pm

My Dad smoked 5 packs/day, my mother almost as much. While both died of cancers partly related to their smoking, that was their choice. It didn't bother me, didn't affect my lungs, and I have a super-sensitive nose, thanks to my AS.

What about wearing fragrance around your children? If smoking around children is child abuse, then wearing fragrance around them is as well. (I know) :D

.........................................................................................

Let's ban fragrance.

Last edited by ed on 14 Dec 2007, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:01 pm

ed wrote:
My Dad smoked 5 packs/day, my mother almost as much. While both died of cancers partly related to their smoking, that was their choice. It didn't bother me, didn't affect my lungs, and I have a super-sensitive nose, thanks to my AS.

What about wearing fragrance around your children? If smoking around children is child abuse, then wearing fragrance around them is as well. (I know) :D

Then maybe they smoked outside, and away from you not around you in infront of you. Second hand smoke can kill people! Is what some of us dealt with, involving second hand smoke, a joke or in our head? I don't think so.

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 14 Dec 2007, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:05 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
ed wrote:

Then maybe they smoked outside, and away from you! Gee, would that be why you think you aren't effected? Since you think you aren't.

My parents weren't PC, thank God... it was their house, and they were going to smoke in it!

By the way i'm talking 50-60 years ago.

The 1964 Report on Smoking and Health by the Advisory Committee to the U.S. Surgeon General came out when I was 20; my mother had died two years earlier.

Last edited by ed on 14 Dec 2007, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:15 pm

Well, you know what? That's mean given all that some of us dealt with. Sorry if I come off mean.

... ok this is getting a little personal with me. Later.

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 14 Dec 2007, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:29 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
Well, you know what? That's mean given all that some of us dealt with. Sorry if I come off mean. I'm not, however, going to support any form of dangerous exposure on innocent liveing things of any kind.

No one is trying to make you support smoking in front of children. I am saying that it's none of your business whether some parents smoke in front of their children, and that you people should just butt out.

fabshelly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2007, 2:41 pm

I'll agree with you when you show me a three-month old who can get up, go into his or her room and shut the door.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:43 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
... ok this is getting a little personal with me. Later.

Sorry if speaking the simple truth is "getting a little personal"... You PC people think that you have some God-given right to mess with other people's lives. You don't.

RRguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2007, 4:36 pm

yu can say that again. you would never in a million years poison your kid or beat and traumatize your kids, but you would slowly kill them by exposing them to toxins that they arnt even responsible for!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

Myrkabah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2007, 4:40 pm

Smoking around children is child abuse...

...if you're exposing them to anything except the smooth, robust flavor of Parliament Lights!

Parliament Lights - Because it's never too early to teach a child class!

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:47 pm

Anubis wrote:
KristaMeth wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Anubis wrote:
Ideally, smoking should be banned outright.

I agree.

I think that's a little extreme.

No it's not. As for films, well CSM will have to smoke fake Morley Cigarettes.

So like, people who live alone and only smoke in their homes should not be allowed to smoke? It just irks me to think of another freedom being taken away.

I smoke, but on my porch, away from my baby. I don't smoke around people who I know don't like it, and if anyone asked me not to smoke around them I wouldn't. So still, I shouldn't be allowed to smoke?

Prohibition doesn't work anyway.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 6:54 pm

my parents smoke
ouside
and I thank them for that
if in the car the windows must be open
I don't like smelling like smoke :roll:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 7:20 pm

KristaMeth wrote:
So like, people who live alone and only smoke in their homes should not be allowed to smoke? It just irks me to think of another freedom being taken away.

I smoke, but on my porch, away from my baby. I don't smoke around people who I know don't like it, and if anyone asked me not to smoke around them I wouldn't. So still, I shouldn't be allowed to smoke?

Prohibition doesn't work anyway.

well, ideally it would be the best, not exactly a prohibition, but the practice to be abolished somehow.

I never understood why people started to smoke in the first place, as I asumed to have something to do with social status and acceptance, especially in teenagers, but in adults as well, in some cases, which is very ridiculous, but oh well. Other reasons, I don't know.

And yeah, smoking infront of children would be a form of child abuse, that might be seen more like negligence I think.

well, about freedom, they are free to do so, to ruin their own health if they please, but as long as they don't ruin anyone else's health, which they would be responsable for it, and how many smokers are actually that considerate, not to mention some who I know that refuse to believe it is actually bad, therefore smoking infront of non-smokers because of it.

I really loved that T'Pol scene with that guy trying to smoke, haha, he couldn't "relax" because she wouldn't let him :D

Last edited by greenblue on 14 Dec 2007, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 7:23 pm

greenblue wrote:
well, ideally it would be the best, not exactly a prohibition, but the practice to be abolished somehow.

Well, why don't you all pool your money, and buy ads on TV to explain to people why they shouldn't smoke around their kids?

Sure beats turning them all into criminals.