Character analysis of "Death of a Hero"

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Brownilocks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2007, 10:35 pm

I would like to know more about Mrs. Winterbourne who was based on Richard Aldington's mother on "Death of a Hero". She seemed to have been a shallow, domineering woman and not a very good mother. Did she love her husband or threw her affairs in her face every chance she got? Also, did she marry her husband for love or for security then took up lovers because she found him to be a disappointment? I found out about her because I read the book and yet I find her a fascinating character. I wonder if Mrs. Withers, who is also supposed to be based on Mr. Aldington's mother, is the same way. Also was she an abusive, nymphomaniac, alcoholic golddigger as Mrs. Winterbourne seemed to have been, or am I analysis being too harsh and did Mr. Winterbourne know of her affairs? There are just a few passages in the book that were too confusing to me. All I know is that she had 22 lovers. Was she like any wife who married for security but had lovers on the side? It seemed like she hated or resented her husband. Your help would be greatly appreciated.