Page 4033 of 4179 [ 66853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4030, 4031, 4032, 4033, 4034, 4035, 4036 ... 4179  Next

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 3:39 am

Yesterday while tidying I found a manual for a wall mount for a short-throw projector I'd started installing months ago and never properly finished. I couldn't find my glasses so I couldn't really read but I spent a very pleasant ten minutes looking at the diagrams.

What's the hardest anything has ever bitten you?

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 7:05 am

Not sure if I understand the question correctly, but I'd say an ant. Ants are probably pretty soft but I don't think I've ever been bitten by anything else.

Do you like seaweed?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 7:48 am

It's okay on sushi rolls.

Do you like lamb chops with mint sauce?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 7:50 am

Lamb is the best meat in my opinion. Mint sauce ruins it.

Can you do a deep squat without falling over?

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 11:33 am

not easily.

Do you have an exercise bike?

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2022, 3:08 pm

I have a normal bike, which can be used for exercise too, I reckon.

Do you exercise often?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 3:26 pm

No, unless you include walking to the supermarket and going up the stairs at home.

Do you manage to save any money after paying all your monthly expenses?

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2022, 3:33 pm

Meh, not really. I was thinking of passing the pedagogical subjects in order to teach L. in schools since getting a good job otherwise seems impossible. Not that I'm too keen about it. :skull:

Same question?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 3:37 pm

I wouldn't go back to teaching if they paid me £1000 per day. Still, this is the anarchic UK....

I can at present save about £300 per month, but all of that could disappear when gas and electricity prices go up again.

How many DVD box sets do you have in your house?

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2022, 3:43 pm

Here (surprisingly!) a number of classical primary schools have been opening recently, and it should be easier among the smaller children (I at least hope so 8O)

Hmmm, perhaps about 5.

Same question?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 3:46 pm

Well over 50, probably closer to 100.

What sort of laptop do you own (if any)?

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2022, 3:49 pm

Asus zenbook from 2017 :P

Same question?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 3:57 pm

I own 40 laptops (I used to collect them), but the one in daily use is an Acer Aspire E1-572. I'll probably retire it when Windows 8.1 goes out of support next January.

Do you drive a car?

Chuckster wrote:
Here (surprisingly!) a number of classical primary schools have been opening recently, and it should be easier among the smaller children (I at least hope so 8O)

Imagine trying to explain the dative of disadvantage or the ablative of the measure of difference to a 7-year-old! :D

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2022, 4:06 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I own 40 laptops (I used to collect them), but the one in daily use is an Acer Aspire E1-572. I'll probably retire it when Windows 8.1 goes out of support next January.

Do you drive a car?

Chuckster wrote:

Imagine trying to explain the dative of disadvantage or the ablative of the measure of difference to a 7-year-old! :D

wow, 40 laptops???? 8O

Well actually here they start when they're 10 and as much I heard they start from scrap since they don't really know (yet) what a case is. But don't take my word for it :P I'm still thinking about whether to even embark on that or not.

I CAN theoretically drive a car (I passed the test), but I wouldn't trust myself behind the wheels for longer than 10 min (I'm a natural hazard when driving). I drive on Sundays to the shopping mall 5 min away just so I don't forget it.

The same question?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2022, 4:14 pm

I owned and drove cars in the years 1983-2003. My last one was stolen from outside my flat (anarchic Britain), and I've used public transport since then.

Queen Elizabeth 1 of England (1558-1603) allegedly spoke five or six languages fluently by the age of 11, including Latin and Greek.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/qu ... acts-myths

Many of my laptops aren't really usable. About half of them are from before 2005.

Are bus and train fares cheap where you live?

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2022, 5:03 pm

Here Latin was the official language till 1847, and all higher learning was done in it. It was the language politicians used in parliament, and amazingly they managed it without any visible damage to their neural capacities. I don't think children wouldn't be able to handle it (since it was the language of learning for about a thousand years) if tutored from an earlier age like it was before, and especially if it were explained what declinations are etc. But as far as I know, it's not how it's done anymore. I blame the surge of nationalism in the late 19th century for the demise of Latin here :P

Also, here they start school later - at 6 or 7 (in the UK at 5 if I'm not mistaken).

Innercity buses are relatively cheap (the drivers don't ever ask for the tickets to be validated :P ), the same thing for the trams, but the inter buses and trains are usually a bit more expensive.

Is there any language you wish you'd learned better?