Do you think 'society' tries to push people to be alcoholic?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Planetarium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2019, 2:05 pm

I just can't believe alcoholic drinks are the one substance that is, practically, poison made god with pubs everywhere. But that isn't just it, those are supposed to be for recreational or 'social' purposes... what happens at a more systematic level, though, I experienced recently through the simple act of not having some month and a half-long foresight to make a GP appointment to get more benzos... their being the non-poisonous (in moderation) sedative equivalent, but no, alcohol the poison is what's totally available off-the-shelf and celebrated in pubs everywhere, not its safer alternative. I hate these shitty people, I swear, and then the blatant damn hypocrisy in using 'health' as an argument! How dare they!

I can't believe I was practically forced to drink again after six or so years because of ongoing stress... I mean, sure, I was the one who couldn't possibly become an architect to plan the tactics of making an appointment so long before an upcoming stressor, but why the hell is this even needed?

Guess what happens in this fabled appointment? "How is your life?" - is how it begins, and always then prescribes it within three minutes... never do they refuse. And apparently I need a face-to-face appointment for this? To wait three weeks for three minutes? Not even a simple telephone call? How stupidly inefficient is society? And then they complain of having too much cost, too many people to handle... well, what do you expect if you make a poison the only available sedative anywhere! When a three-minutes useless thing is somehow a necessity when they can reserve more time for actually necessary cases like possible cancer symptoms, but no, somehow they get the same time as something they made necessary for no reason and only serves to push people onto a poison.

Societies the world over are seriously broken.

Last edited by Planetarium on 19 Feb 2019, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 2:10 pm

Society, engineered by Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge social scientists employed by Big Business, tries (and succeeds) to force people to do EVERYTHING that involves spending money.

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
- Henry David Thoreau

Das Glück gehört denen, die sich selbst genügen. Denn alle äußeren Quellen des Glückes und Genusses sind, ihrer Natur nach, höchst unsicher, misslich, vergänglich und dem Zufall unterworfen.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Planetarium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2019, 2:11 pm

Well, I wouldn't mind spending money on benzos and other substances if I could, but no, irrational and useless authoritarianism somehow takes over there even at the expense of their beloved capitalism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

Planetarium wrote:
Do you think 'society' tries to push people to be alcoholic?
Define "push". Certainly, the media emphasizes that people cannot possibly have fun or be popular without an alcoholic drink in their hands.

But ultimately, the consumption of alcohol is a personal choice. Unless you're pledging a frat, you are not likely to be forced to take even a single drink. But once the addiction sets in, that's it, you become just another drunk -- a "chemically dependent" junkie.

So what? Who am I to judge? It's a free country, and Prohibition ended about 80 (?) years ago, so drink and be merry!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 3:56 pm

I attended honor society parties in which I drank and abstained. I don't think it made any difference to the other people at the gatherings.

DanielW
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2019, 4:00 pm

I can't say that anyone have ever encouraged me to drink...or minded if i didn't...So, no, I don't think anyone can be pushed to drink.

quite an extreme
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2019, 4:09 pm

No alcohol isn't a solution too. (Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung.) :wink:

Just know your limits.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 6:47 pm

As a total non-drinker I feel like an outcast because of it. When I tell people I don't care for alcohol, they look at me like I'm mad. I can't believe how much people depend their social lives on getting drunk. Drinking too much alcohol can cause crimes and antisocial behaviour. At least sugar doesn't, and yet they decide to cut the sugar out of most sodas. :roll:
NTs are the ones that hate antisocial behaviour from others, and yet most NTs (especially younger NTs) love getting drunk at weekends, which (if consumed too much), causes people to act odd, aggressive, unpredictable, stupid, etc. Some stupid girl at work literally enjoys spending her Sundays unwell from too much drink the night before. What's so enjoyable about feeling sick or vomiting, or a really bad headache? Sometimes this girl gets so wasted that she once woke up in hospital, and she had no idea how she got there. Apparently she was very violent towards people, then threatening to jump off a bridge to kill herself, so someone called the paramedics to sort her out.
Why the hell do people think these results are so fantastic?

When I last went out, there was a girl I knew who was there, and she had just come from another bar somewhere and so was already drunk. And she spoilt the whole night for everyone else. She kept having emotional outbursts and it caused an argument between her and her boyfriend, and she even upset a few people in the group. I just don't like that drunken behaviour. But she still thinks being drunk is great, and does it nearly every weekend.

All these drunks that are sent to A&E each weekend just sickens me. Any drunk idiot should just be left to it on the streets, because serves them right. The emergency service should put genuine people first. Maybe it might teach people not to get so wasted.

I am totally against people getting drunk.

On antidepressants (50mg Sertraline) ~ Helps control emotional outbursts but not general anxiety.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 9:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:
As a total non-drinker I feel like an outcast because of it. When I tell people I don't care for alcohol, they look at me like I'm mad. I can't believe how much people depend their social lives on getting drunk. Drinking too much alcohol can cause crimes and antisocial behaviour. At least sugar doesn't, and yet they decide to cut the sugar out of most sodas. :roll:
NTs are the ones that hate antisocial behaviour from others, and yet most NTs (especially younger NTs) love getting drunk at weekends, which (if consumed too much), causes people to act odd, aggressive, unpredictable, stupid, etc. Some stupid girl at work literally enjoys spending her Sundays unwell from too much drink the night before. What's so enjoyable about feeling sick or vomiting, or a really bad headache? Sometimes this girl gets so wasted that she once woke up in hospital, and she had no idea how she got there. Apparently she was very violent towards people, then threatening to jump off a bridge to kill herself, so someone called the paramedics to sort her out.
Why the hell do people think these results are so fantastic?

When I last went out, there was a girl I knew who was there, and she had just come from another bar somewhere and so was already drunk. And she spoilt the whole night for everyone else. She kept having emotional outbursts and it caused an argument between her and her boyfriend, and she even upset a few people in the group. I just don't like that drunken behaviour. But she still thinks being drunk is great, and does it nearly every weekend.

All these drunks that are sent to A&E each weekend just sickens me. Any drunk idiot should just be left to it on the streets, because serves them right. The emergency service should put genuine people first. Maybe it might teach people not to get so wasted.

I am totally against people getting drunk.

This. I don’t drink at all either. I’ve gotten vaguely buzzed once before but it felt too surreal, like I was dissociated from my body. It also made me really tired. I didn’t like it so I just stay away these days. I have never figured out why people deliberately go out of their way to make themselves severely dehydrated, nauseated and suffering intense headaches the next day.

I’ve been severely dehydrated to the point of migraines and vomiting before, it’s horrible. Why would anyone want that?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:07 pm

The majority of violent crimes, sexual assaults and unwanted pregnancies are the result of being drunk. But no, it's our weight that's the REAL problem, and that's why it's perfectly okay to get hammered but if you eat a doughnut you're a horrible disgusting fat pig and you deserve the heart attack you will surely get (sarcasm).

I don't drink alcohol and I'm not pressured into drinking, but heaven forbid I put any food into my body that isn't salad. I'm constantly hearing the voices telling me over and over, "how can you eat that, it's disgusting, it tastes like garbage, it'll make you sick, you'll instantly gain 30 pounds, it gives you cancer, it makes children autistic, it's made with aborted human fetuses, your innards will rot and you'll become a mutant, become an anorexic food is the enemy, you say you'll starve to death if you don't eat? Ha ha it would take you a year before you even start to get close to dying of starvation, you're so fat and ugly no wonder you have so many problems, hope you choke on it, you disgusting fat pig"

:wall:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:16 pm

I think society pushes people to work WAY beyond the capacity of our bodies & alcohol is all too convenient a way to self medicate.

All it does is defer stress to a (slightly) later time.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:46 pm

cberg wrote:
I think society pushes people to work WAY beyond the capacity of our bodies & alcohol is all too convenient a way to self medicate.

All it does is defer stress to a (slightly) later time.

This is absolutely true. My therapist told me that humans were never designed to work as much as we do, and it has serious health consequences.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 10:53 pm

I love my job. I'd also quit tomorrow for $25,000 and a mansion.

For what it's worth I also love beer, though not enough to drink it regularly. Honestly I enjoy drinking as much as the next Viking but I also recognize the maladaptive reasons for people do drink as much as we do.

Society didn't push me to smoke herb, it's my reaction to society. I might as well be hedonistic about being persona non grata.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 11:04 pm

My family used to be the worst ones for trying to get me to drink alcohol. But now that I take a few medications, it would be a bad idea to drink to inebriation. That's what I've told my mum specifically and now the rest of my family drinks alcohol but leaves me to my Coke.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2019, 11:12 pm

I also think alcohol production was a primary factor in the evolution of humanity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer

Not that this has made things easy for anybody, but strangely enough it's been helpful to us along the way.