Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 11:25 pm

Since I’m living in a group home, I have hand sanitizer, my own soap, body wash & my own towels. Is there a hand sanitizer that is not too strong? Can you clean other things with hand sanitizer?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 7:35 am

Like what was you thinking of cleaning with it

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 7:50 am

Hand sanitizers usually contain lotion to make them less harsh on skin, so they are not very good for cleaning other things because the lotion will leave a residue.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 2:00 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Is there a hand sanitizer that is not too strong?

I guess you mean alcohol content. Some of them are as high as 95% alcohol, so you might want one that's not that strong. They say it has to be at least 60% or it doesn't work very well.

I think they're more a thing for people who are in a hurry, like a hospital worker who isn't given the time to go to a sink so that they can use soap and water. The idea is that you rub the sanitizer into your hands and don't wash it off. So they promoted the stuff during the Covid pandemic because it's convenient, so they thought it was more likely that people would sanitize their hands, and that was better than not cleaning them at all.

Soap and water is more effective. Some people think sanitizer is slightly dangerous, but it hasn't been proved. Personally I'm wary of the stuff and I just use soap. I don't like the idea of rubbing alcoholic gunk into my skin and leaving it there.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 2:06 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Can you clean other things with hand sanitizer?

If you mean other parts of your body, then no. Absolutely not.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 2:23 pm

I think most hand sanitizer is a mixture of gel and alcohol. I once tried making it myself, before we even had covid, by mixing aloe vera gel and rubbing alcohol together. But it turned out really badly, the fumes were potent. Putting glitter in it was even worse.

But they call it *hand* sanitizer for a reason. And you definitely can not drink it. Which you'd think grown adult humans would be wise enough to know, but covid and alcohol addiction proved that wrong. :roll:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 4:34 pm

I never understood why they didn't just brew their own wine and beer. Not strong enough for them I guess. Or maybe other alcoholics had panic-bought all the yeast.