I'm looking for the perfect dictionary.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 6:06 pm

I'm looking for an up-to-date English dictionary that literally has every word and every variant and abbreviation of it in the world (except for names of people).

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 6:25 pm

Oxford English Dictionary, OED comes in a twenty volume set (try your university library), on CD or online subscription. It's the best of the best.

AskOxford.com - You can look many things up here for free in their compact version.

Oxford English Dictionary - All words eventually make their way into this version.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Last edited by YowlingCat on 20 Jan 2008, 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 6:28 pm

Does it have slang terms, nicknames, abbreviations, alternate spellings, even the rarest words, newest words, oldest English words and words used in the English language, everything? All of them LITERALLY?

I need every variant of every one of the most common words used in the world, so that I can explain my theory so that the whole English-speaking world can understand...

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 6:37 pm

For slang terms you will most likely need an urban dictonary. The Oxford Dictonary has all words currently accepted into the English language(updated with slang terms that become common language), there would be a distinct lack of "Americanisms" in this version though.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 6:39 pm

Yes, Anna. It does.
I promise that if you want to get out of your house, for like about 3 years, go to a good university library, get a card, sit down with the OED book A and read to the OED book Zed.

It'll take you three years, and by that time, there will be another, newer version to read through. It has EVERYTHING!

Btdt

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 6:43 pm

Dang; I'll have to contact them and ask them to send me the updates so that I don't have to read the whole thing over again! :)

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:14 am

The Internet?

On Google, type in Define:

and after that colon put the word in that you wanna know. 9 times out of 10 it will have the word you want...I think. ;)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 3:48 am

Okay, I ned all the famous people, songs, drugs, sex positions, burrows of cities, food dishes, common given names and surnames for people in the English-speaking world... every name and word in the English language literally, very nickname and abbreviation and slang word and spelling and variant of the word and tense of the word and compoud word ("website", "crime scene", etc) and so on!

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 3:56 am

Have you tried dictionary.com?

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 4:00 am

I want one with EVERYTHING... does that have EVERYTHING?

I would also like a list of the words in order of usage frequency and importance to people. :)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 4:01 am

I want one with EVERYTHING... does that have EVERYTHING?

I would also like a list of the words in order of usage frequency and importance to people. :)

EDIT: double post. Why aren't we allowed to delete our posts any more? I think that's a good idea, actually. They can always remove it.

Last edited by Ana54 on 03 Feb 2008, 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 4:02 am

Dunno. I don't really use it. It could have everything though.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 4:02 am

Ana54 wrote:
Okay, I ned all the famous people, songs, drugs, sex positions, burrows of cities, food dishes, common given names and surnames for people in the English-speaking world... every name and word in the English language literally, very nickname and abbreviation and slang word and spelling and variant of the word and tense of the word and compoud word ("website", "crime scene", etc) and so on!

LOL sex positions! Wikipedia has an article about that.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 4:10 am

All want is all the words and multiple-word words in the world. :) :P Every business chain, every well-known business and charity, every chemical name and its shorthand version, and number under a certain point, "trillion", "quadrillion", everything. Oh yeahI need every letter and accent and symbol-- everything as I said!

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 4:27 am

So, we will be seeing your completed scientific theory, in, roughly,
about a million years?
I don't think I'll be able to stay up that late!

viska
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 4:31 am

Ana,

As said earlier, the OED has everything. There's even an online version. Unfortunately I think that without a library/university sponsoring the price, it could be quite expensive to buy physically or the buy access to the online version.