Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

tomadao
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2008, 1:31 pm

If you do believe that aliens exist, don't be late: join the SETI @ Home, a (crazy) project using distributed processing power on computers around the world to help finding intelligent extraterrestrial life.

More info at: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

I find this project kind of waste of time, though, but anyway... :lol:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 1:32 pm

I've found a few already. They're lurking in my int....nevermind.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 1:34 pm

tomadao wrote:
If you do believe that aliens exist, don't be late: join the SETI @ Home, a (crazy) project using distributed processing power on computers around the world to help finding intelligent extraterrestrial life.

More info at: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

I find this project kind of waste of time, though, but anyway... :lol:

How is it a waste of time? What is more important that finding out if we are or are not alone in the universe? Contact with an extraterrestrial intelligence would be more important than anything in the hitherto.

Read Carl Sagan's "Contact", a great fiction book about what he believes contact will be like. Yes, it will happen, the Drake Equation means its almost certain that contact will occur. Even the most pessimistic of coefficients put the number in the range of eventual certainty.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 1:41 pm

While I'm all for the idea of an ever-expansive universe, and that it's beyond reasonable to assume other lifeforms exist in the cosmos, I just don't buy into searching for them.

We're a young race, and we're beyond microscopic in terms of how vast the universe is. At the moment, we tend to bow down to God's glory...so I just don't see us breaking "his" laws anytime soon.

And what I mean by that is, faster than light-speed travel, teleportation or even being able to live long enough to cover these great distances. We'll all die on earth,(or maybe the moon?) I'm sure of that. I just don't see our great quest to find that we're not alone in the universe, will ever come to fruition.

tomadao
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2008, 1:56 pm

Kalister1 wrote:
How is it a waste of time? What is more important that finding out if we are or are not alone in the universe? Contact with an extraterrestrial intelligence would be more important than anything in the hitherto.

Kind of waste of time because I think that human kind could spend more time on certain things like AIDS, cancer, pollution... Who can know for sure that a supposed intelligent extraterrestrial life is much more technologically advanced than us? Maybe intelligent aliens DO exist, but they can still be in the stone age.

If aliens exist, have much more technological resources and want to get in touch with us, why don't they land on the center of New York and call CNN? That would be far more easy than abducting some farmers on distant villages or doing green-light shows on the skies.

Not that I don't believe in aliens but, as nobody has ever proved anything on centuries, I'm a little sceptical.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:03 pm

tomadao wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:

Kind of waste of time because I think that human kind could spend more time on certain things like AIDS, cancer, pollution... Who can know for sure that a supposed intelligent extraterrestrial life is much more technologically advanced than us? Maybe intelligent aliens DO exist, but they can still be in the stone age.

If aliens exist, have much more technological resources and want to get in touch with us, why don't they land on the center of New York and call CNN? That would be far more easy than abducting some farmers on distant villages or doing green-light shows on the skies.

Not that I don't believe in aliens but, as nobody has ever proved anything on centuries, I'm a little sceptical.

It is certain that life besides us exists in the universe, as demonstrated by the Drake Equation. The paradox is we haven't found it yet, but that doesn't mean its not out there.

While some aliens may be in the stone age, there are an untold multitude in the galaxy, which makes it definite that many will be much more advanced than us. Even 200 years more advanced than us would make them seem like gods to us.

Yes, thats why I don't really believe UFOs have been visiting the planet. Why would they abduct a random farmer?

Its mathematically certain that aliens exist. Its almost naive, or arrogant in some peoples case, to believe we are the only intelligent life in the galaxy.

I don't see the problem. You don't use telescopes and astronomers to cure AIDs. Very little money is spent on Astronomy, a lot less than should be. What you should be really wondering is why we spend so much on the military, on social welfare programs, and not on science and research.

Last edited by Kalister1 on 03 Apr 2008, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:05 pm

Bluesummers wrote:
While I'm all for the idea of an ever-expansive universe, and that it's beyond reasonable to assume other lifeforms exist in the cosmos, I just don't buy into searching for them.

We're a young race, and we're beyond microscopic in terms of how vast the universe is. At the moment, we tend to bow down to God's glory...so I just don't see us breaking "his" laws anytime soon.

And what I mean by that is, faster than light-speed travel, teleportation or even being able to live long enough to cover these great distances. We'll all die on earth,(or maybe the moon?) I'm sure of that. I just don't see our great quest to find that we're not alone in the universe, will ever come to fruition.

Thats naive. Only 150 years after the Industrial Revolution, and we were already walking on the moon. In 1000 years, just imagine where we could be.

Its not something that may happen in your lifetime, but its almost certain to happen. I say almost because there is a good chance we will destroy ourselves beforehand.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:22 pm

Kalister1 wrote:
Thats naive. Only 150 years after the Industrial Revolution, and we were already walking on the moon. In 1000 years, just imagine where we could be.

Its not something that may happen in your lifetime, but its almost certain to happen. I say almost because there is a good chance we will destroy ourselves beforehand.
I'm naive? Look around, look around. How many people devote themselves to this quest? How many Wars are going on? How many people suffer needlessly everyday?

We simply don't care anymore, all vision has gone to the peripheral. Our resources, which we so vehemently defend via war, are coming to an end. Our way of life, the only way we know how to live, is inevitably coming to an end.

And yet we still bow down to some "god." Why? Because we can't save ourselves. We're here, we're in pain, and we need someone to come save us.

Damned by that thought. 1,000 years? HA, I give humanity 200 more years at most. We can't help ourselves, we rely on someone else to do it for us, and ignorantly tread the path of destruction hoping for some salvation...we'll wait for that salvation until the very end, gladly doing the very things that have destroyed us...

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:29 pm

Bluesummers wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:

I'm naive? Look around, look around. How many people devote themselves to this quest? How many Wars are going on? How many people suffer needlessly everyday?

We simply don't care anymore, all vision has gone to the peripheral. Our resources, which we so vehemently defend via war, are coming to an end. Our way of life, the only way we know how to live, is inevitably coming to an end.

And yet we still bow down to some "god." Why? Because we can't save ourselves. We're here, we're in pain, and we need someone to come save us.

Damned by that thought. 1,000 years? HA, I give humanity 200 more years at most. We can't help ourselves, we rely on someone else to do it for us, and ignorantly tread the path of destruction hoping for some salvation...we'll wait for that salvation until the very end, gladly doing the very things that have destroyed us...

I meant the thought that we couldn't go beyond the moon to colonize new planets.

I temper my optimism for technology with my pessimism of human nature.

We just have to survive long enough.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:31 pm

I don't see anything wrong with being curious about the unknown. It's like our culture now defines curious ppl like myself as freaks and idiots who don't know any better. I'm sure they said the same to Einstein and the discoverer of the new world, a waste of time. How's this for wasting time, I'm typing a post right now in this forum. :twisted:

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:33 pm

Kalister1 wrote:
We just have to survive long enough.
That's my whole point, I really, genuinely don't believe we will. :(

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:37 pm

We need to come up with a plan now before it's too late. We're endanger as we speak. 8O

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:41 pm

I think it all comes down to the need humans feel to see if they're the most intelligent in the universe. :lol:

Contact is a good book. I recommend it.

As for the aliens, I believe there is a genuine possibility that they might exist. What are the odds of there being other planets out there that can support life? Why not have other Earth-like planets out there?

I don't believe they've visited the Earth, though.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:42 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
We need to come up with a plan now before it's too late. We're endanger as we speak. 8O

Thats a very difficult proposition. Who would make the plan? What would it be?

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:49 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
It's so silly, I consider and devote myself to such an answer. I want to help everyone. I'd die for them.

Yet at the same time...I can't help but want to kill them for everything they've done. For all my suffering, for all my "understanding," I've been split in two. I don't know what's right, what's wrong.

It makes me smile...hesitantly. There is no answer, there is no wrong. We are what we are, human...not perfect in the least. I'd be much more acceptant to this fate if it were not for God, that very pinnacle of perfection which we sacrifice all of our beings for.

I'm smiling so greatly while I say this..."Who knows?"

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 2:59 pm

I don't know who made you suffer, but I don't wanna anyone to die and I'm not ready to die :cry:
Funny thing is used to wanna die. :roll: