Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:42 pm

I'm starting to suffer from my seasonal allergies. My head feels heavy, my nose is running, I keep sneezing and coughing, breathing is getting harder, and my eyes are starting to become even more sensitive than usual. I go through this every time the seasons change. Do any of you go through this or something similar?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:04 pm

I'm very sensative to allergies. I had to go to a doctor for this to see what was causing my allergies. Well come to find out what I was allergic to, I was stunned to find out one of them was cats. It's weird b/c I was brought up in a household of cats. I've not gotten used to them.

As for allergies, the only thing that works for me is the real Sudafed you can get at the pharmacy not the PE brand and Claritin which you can get over the counters.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:10 pm

I'm currently taking Zyrtec. I've had severe allergies all my life and I've been through all the major medicines. I would take them until they no longer helped and go on to the next one. Zyrtec works really well but I still suffer seasonal allergy attacks, like what I'm feeling now. However, if I forget to take it just once I pay for it. It recently became over the counter so instead of paying $50 for it, I only pay $20 now. :D

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:16 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
I'm starting to suffer from my seasonal allergies. My head feels heavy, my nose is running, I keep sneezing and coughing, breathing is getting harder, and my eyes are starting to become even more sensitive than usual. I go through this every time the seasons change. Do any of you go through this or something similar?

Yes, very badly. I started getting allergy shots a few years ago, and it makes a world of difference. After you go regularly for awhile, you only have to go once every few months. :D

Also, I have had luck with Allegra (regular, not Allegra-D), because it does not make me feel weird, the way Benadryl and Zyrtec do.

A thing you should do (not kidding) is stick your head under running water, or get in the shower the minute you walk in, to get the pollen out of your hair. Rinse out your eyes, too. Also, shake your clothes out the window, and keep them away from your unworn clothes; then you'll have pollen-free clothes to wear around after you shower. I know it sounds nuts, but it's true. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:19 pm

I'm allergic to something, and I'm hoping that it's dust that I'm allergic to, so that I'd have some motivation to dust my place.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:23 pm

CityAsylum wrote:
Social_Fantom wrote:

Yes, very badly. I started getting allergy shots a few years ago, and it makes a world of difference. After you go regularly for awhile, you only have to go once every few months. :D

Also, I have had luck with Allegra (regular, not Allegra-D), because it does not make me feel weird, the way Benadryl and Zyrtec do.

A thing you should do (not kidding) is stick your head under running water, or get in the shower the minute you walk in, to get the pollen out of your hair. Rinse out your eyes, too. Also, shake your clothes out the window, and keep them away from your unworn clothes; then you'll have pollen-free clothes to wear around after you shower. I know it sounds nuts, but it's true. :)

That actually sounds pretty logical, I'm going to have to try that though it's too late now. Since they started, they will run their course. I will eventually build up an immunity to Zyrtec as well so when that happens I plan to take the shots. I once heard that they can cure allergies but the older you are the less likely that is to happen. I guess I'll find out.

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm allergic to something, and I'm hoping that it's dust that I'm allergic to, so that I'd have some motivation to dust my place.

Dust is one of the major things I'm allergic to. I try to keep my room dusted though there are some places I forget about. :?

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 1:17 am

i dont have allergies but have major athsma attacks :x
wait... im allergic to cat hair. :evil:

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:13 pm

I suffered from horrible pollen allergy as a kid, then it almost went away for a while, and lately it has returned with a vengeance. I've taken Terfenadine, Zyrtec, Claritin, Cetallerg, and Polaramine retard, but nothing seems to be quite strong enough. I'm currently taking part in a clinical trial involving a desensitivation therapy that works with patches rather than shots.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 5:57 pm

Argh, don't remind me. I have hay fever, which rears its ugly head whenever grass pollen is about - mostly from May-July. It mostly involves constant sneezing, eye watering, runny nose, sometimes skin rashes and other delightful things to look forward to this summer. :? I take Zyrtec on particularly bad days, and before an exam but I try to avoid medication as much as possible.