Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:16 pm

So, based on your experiences on WP and/or experiences IRL, tell me what WP has done for you! It doesn't matter if it's good or bad. Anything goes! :)

Edit: I'm sorry, but this thread should be moved to Members Only. Does anybody know how to do it?

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:24 pm

well I got to meet some great people here, understand who and what I am,,,
a place to actually be myself-ya know

it's not all bad here

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:27 pm

I love this site it gives me a place to hang out with people like me , so we can relate our problems, plus I like the different conversations and friends i've gotten from being here

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:27 pm

Probably the best thing about WP was giving me a chance to talk about my special interests.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:31 pm

It's made me have a place to talk to people so much like me :D It also makes me feel lucky, as I have many friends in real life, and WP reminds me constantly to be grateful for them.
It also makes me sad that I can't help everybody here, as they're all such nice people!

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:35 pm

I've met some wonder people on WP, some of which I've come to accept as close friends that I can actually trust. :D

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:38 pm

Made some people that I can talk to everyday and it's really great. I've gotten a lot better since I've come here and I only came here after I accepted that I have AS after years of denying it. Ofcourse I haven't gotten the thing that I wanted most when I first came here and thats a girl-friend thats what I wanted I just hope it'll help some more. :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 8:22 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
I've met some wonder people on WP, some of which I've come to accept as close friends that I can actually trust. :D

Same here, but always want more.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 May 2008, 8:29 pm

I've met some fantastic people on here. Also, by practicing social rules in the threads, I am learning to carry this over in RL conversations. I have learned tact, and tolerance, which I didn't have before. And I have reached a better comfort level with my Autism.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 8:40 pm

I've made some close online friends.

I'm learning that people aren't always what they seem.

It amazes me of how well I identify with some of the posts. Helps me know that I'm not alone.

I'm still learning about anger management. It's hard not to react when a member becomes personally offensive. I know that arguing just turns into a long hard pinball game.

I've learned that no matter how "intellegent" or "smart" one is, nothing beats some common sense. I think that some of us get too wrapped up in analyzing that we don't see the big picture.

I learned I'm not the only one or one of a few with AS.

I never realized how helpful support can be with my outlook on life.

I'm still learning about people's cues espeacially in typing. I thought I knew a lot about people just by what they said or typed. Turns out that many times I miscue people's jokes or responses. I have embarassed myself many times by reacting on impulse without thinking and then come to find out what they were really typing about or in some cases joking about was not what I thought.

I've learned some things are better left unsaid.

I've learned there are many forms of bullying.

I get education out of some things by other members.

I've found I'm more of an extrovert when I type. Words come random, it takes me a little time to process and then respond.

I used to distrust almost everyone and come to find that there really are some genuinely good people out there who mean well.

So-called unbias opinions or views can turn into bias.

Not to be offensive but I've found most members here to have extreme black and white views on religion. This includes Atheists and Religious folks. I don't believe we already know the answere to that ultimate question. As for me, I try not to get in on it, because it's never a win win situation.

Some people come off as hypocrites when one asks a question and members don't take the OP's question serious. Yet I find the same members who do that have it happen to them.

Avatars and..(I used to disagree with this.) really do give me an unintentional feeling of what the user's like.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 9:02 pm

I've only been here a short time, but so far I feel this is a place that I will at least be tolerated since I don't care for/don't understand small talk and have a "crusty" personality.

Many people here are very honest. That helps me a lot with relaxing and opening up. The honesty also helps me to feel people here are real and not just doing some type of game to use other people to get what they want.

Lastly, reading about all the things people deal with on a daily basis inspires me to accept me for who I am and not give up on what I have come to feel is a waste of time.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 10:04 pm

It's given me a lot of peace and helped me understand myself more. :thumright:

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 10:05 pm

It's also come to help me find out that I'm not alone in the world even though I'm alone where I live. I wish I'd thought to post that in my first post. :?

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 10:22 pm

It has helped me accept myself and that being different is ok.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 11:28 pm

It reinforced what I already knew, that no matter what label someone has, they're still human.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 11:34 pm

WP is my entire social life.

There's nothing better than have someone reply to a comment i made
and say it was really helpfull, insightful or wonderfull.
Once upon a time I wanted to be a Buddhist and learnt that the only true happiness
in this life, and enlightenment itself, is sacrificing my own interests in the service of others.
This was really disconcerting because I hated the idea of volunteering and meeting new ppl all the time. On WP I can be supportive from the comfort zone of my room.

I arrived at WP on my knees, just reeling from my dx. Devastated.
I couldn't believe all the ppl loud and proud to be autistic.
They were and still are amazing to me.

I try to be.I know that a positive attitude is the only option.
Sometimes I'm 100% and ecstatic.
Other times...I don't tell ppl I'm writhing in maudlin self-pity.

WP gave me the confidence to get out and find a support group, which I have done,
and also the opportunity to meet a WPer in real life - SleepyDragon and two of her sons.
That was a good day! :D

I also found the confidence to build a version of Temple Grandin's "Hug Machine" :
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =154922533
to help deal with my anxiety.

WP is Fantastic!