How Do I Get My Parents To Buy Me Gerbils?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Hopeless_Hearts_Marie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2009, 10:33 pm

I'm wanting two gerbils. I have a betta fish, but I can't pet him...I tried, lol. So what should I do? :cry:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 1:46 pm

Did you try "pretty please"?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 2:01 pm

When a couple of years ago, in my late teens I wanted my mother to let me keep a pet, she didn’t agree to my request but you aren’t going to believe me what she stated in support of her lack of consent to this – she said that… I was just too old for keeping a pet and that others would laugh at me because of it. 8O

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 9:31 pm

Well first off, do NOT buy them! If your parents give the ok, check out petfinder.com and adopt one instead. Though gerbils really aren't cuddly pets, and they may not like being petted. How old are you? If you're able to care for your fish (which I think takes more work and knowledge than a gerbil) then you are probably capable of caring for a furry critter. Show your parents research you have done on the proper care, handling, and behavior of gerbils. If the price is the issue (adoption fees for little critters usually aren't that high, but the cost of the cage/bedding/food/vet care can be) then get a job to pay for it.

Hopeless_Hearts_Marie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2009, 10:51 pm

I'm 20, but I still live with my parents. I'm just not ready to be on my own yet sadly. I'm making progress though by living in an apartment for school. The main thing my parents keep telling me when they say no is that they don't want to take care of another animal.
I had a cat, but we had to put her to sleep cause she was getting to old. She was starting to have problems :cry:
That is also a reason why I want the gerbils and because I feel lonely at times when I'm not with my friends.
I want something to keep me occupided that I can love.
I'm at a stage in my life where I don't know if I'm ready for a Boyfriend or not at this time.
So until then I'm shooting for gerbils while I search.

PS: I tried for a dog or cat and got a worse respone from my parents :?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

24 Sep 2009, 4:41 am

Tell them you're gay?

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

24 Sep 2009, 8:08 am

Try showing interest in something rather more edgy...like a tarantula or a boa constrictor. Your folks may just get you gerbils as a more pleasant alternative... :twisted:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 12:47 pm

I just kept bugging, and eventually they caved.

Make sure to only get females, as those guys really do multiply as much as they say they do in the cartoons :x

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 1:13 pm

Does it have to be gerbils?

What about mice?

All you need is a safe trap in your house and a cage to put them in. Won't cost a thing except food and other materials to keep your rodent/s comfortable.

Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 6:30 pm

Quote:

you... go to the store and buy them.