Who finds the Olympics UN INTERESTING?!

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:48 am

I have better things to do then to watch the Olympics they are so boring well except for the swimming ones then those are worth watching.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:12 pm

I really enjoyed watching the last two winter Olympics, but I find summer Olympics boring. The only sport I'll be following is the tennis. I have to admit, the opening day of the Football League season today was far more interesting to me than the Olympics. Shame Colchester United lost. :(

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 11:07 pm

9CatMom wrote:
I am in the minority here. The Olympic Games are one of my obsessions.

Yeah Well U.S.A. the medal count 8 now with a medal sweep in Women Saber Fencing Individual. South Korea got its first Olympic Swimming Medal and its a gold medal as well.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 3:31 am

i think it's been really boring today, not one event that would interest me. yawn. it's so jingoistic, unless you have a (oz) competitor in that sport, they don't show it.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 3:48 am

ImTheGuyThatDidThat wrote:
And the drug-thing...does anyone think that no one in the olympics
are using anything? yeah right. Every fifth day or so i see in the papers
someone getting busted for using something that gives them an edge.
Heres my proposal: Allow everything! No rules when it comes to olympics
and drugs. Let the morons take whatever they feel gives them that little extra,
then it would get interessting :) then i might actually watch it, because there
would be alot of freaks running around. Pretty much like it is now, but more open.
Just look at baseball, alot of steroids there, some of the guys look like a small
horse or something, and have the temper that follows with those things.

Its incredible that some think we can actually get the olympics clean of drugs :lol:
no way man, theres people competing and people will do whatever it takes to win.
Its that instinct.

Very funny post. :lol:

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 3:59 am

The majority of sports-fans/players are small-minded. I'd prefer to not watch people doing uncivilized things like attempting to put balls in holes. It's bizarre and abstract to me as to why people would want to do this and enjoy it. I have a question though: Do they really enjoy it? You always see negativity coming from sports-players and spectators. It's all a bunch of BS to me.

Since I was a kid, I've pondered about why people are interested in sports. The only thing I can think of is the well-known saying 'small things amuse small minds'.

Enter a room full of sports-fans. Afterwards, enter a room full of people who despise sports. Tell me who's more intelligent after you leave....

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 4:51 am

I can't watch the Olympics anyway cos there is something wrong with my TV aerial.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 5:53 am

my reception is crap too. i'm in a hilly area with loads of really tall trees.

sport is for aggressive, competitive, envious NTs. If they don't have sport they make war, so it's the lesser of two evils.

and the weather there looks putrid. extreme humidity. I see what they mean about the smog, you can't see very far. saw ugh Rupert Murdoch dragging the wife and kids around there on the news today just like any other bozo, only older.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 5:55 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIYzp3HA6as[/youtube]

the video was Flakey's idea..and now he wants to somehow film the whole raggedy olympics...

Augghh!! It's the "Small World" ride on steroids! :lol:

I couldn't care less about the Olympics or sports in general. Also, whenever the media over-hypes something, I lose interest long before the actual event.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 7:32 pm

The only reason why I care is because I want the really random countries to win, like Armenia and the -stan countries.

Glasscutter
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2008, 2:41 am

I hate how they put it on almost every channel if you live in oz. It burns me up... :evil:

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 3:27 am

I prefer the Winter olympics.

I have a fantasy that the Dalai Lama will suddenly appear in the stadium and win the 1500 metres hurdles or the javelin, as a political statement, and go :P on the podium.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 9:00 am

Last night, I watched the Olympics with my boyfriend and saw a side of him I had never seen before. It was pretty funny, actually. He got drunk and started acting like the stereotype of an Australian guy. His accent became really, um, thick, and he was yelling, "Go Aussie! Go! Go!"

Then he started speaking quite sentimentally about ANZAC day, and how he's had to celibrate it alone for the past five years because Americans don't understand it despite his efforts to educate them . . .

Then he gave me 2 cool green and gold shirts which I plan to wear frequently. One has a kangaroo on it and the other has a wallaby on it. Those shirts, combined with my Mexican soccer shoes and American accent will make it clear that I'm not taking this international competition thing seriously enough to devote myself to one country.

Oh, and when Bush was interviewed, his responses were pretty funny . . . at least when I was drunk ("I don't need The Olympics to advance the American agenda!", "I've had the chance to converse with people from different nations!", etc., all with that dopey grin on his face).

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 1:00 am

^ when Australia wins a medal, you should shout, "Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie". (the "s" in Aussie is pronounced as "z")

He should then shout in reply (especially if drunk) "Oi Oi Oi!"

And yes, ANZAC day is burnt deep into the psyche of many of us. Australians are generally not very religious and to many Christmas day and Good Friday are just public holidays, but ANZAC day is ANZAC day.

And I was totally sick of the olympics before they started, even though a guy I know is competing (actually I think he may be done now).

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 12:36 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
^ when Australia wins a medal, you should shout, "Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie". (the "s" in Aussie is pronounced as "z")

He should then shout in reply (especially if drunk) "Oi Oi Oi!"

And yes, ANZAC day is burnt deep into the psyche of many of us. Australians are generally not very religious and to many Christmas day and Good Friday are just public holidays, but ANZAC day is ANZAC day.

And I was totally sick of the olympics before they started, even though a guy I know is competing (actually I think he may be done now).

I don't understand why so many Americans struggle with the pronunciation of "Aussie". My poor boyfriend ordered business cards - they were supposed to say "Aussie [his first name]", as he is known around here. But they spelled it "Azzie". We got a good laugh out of that! He had to go to the place in person with a card for a local business with the word "Aussie" in its name.

He's also told me about how important ANZAC day is. I admire the fact that Australia is such a secular country and that ANZAC day is a bigger deal than Christmas. I don't like the elaborate celebration of Christmas in the US. I'm fascinated by the fact that in Australia, it coincides with bush fires, which are like fire storms. I want to see that! But in the mean time, I'll just do my part to help my fellow Americans understand ANZAC day and how to pronounce "Aussie".

I can understand why he got excited about the Olympics. In his youth, he was seriously involved in a number of sports (whereas I was never into sports). And he gets really homesick when he's drunk, obviously. I just thought it was funny. I'm no less likely to be a source of amusement while intoxicated. I expected him to do the "Oi oi oi" thing like most Aussies, but I think he only did it once. Maybe we've both been in America too long . . .

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 12:42 pm

I love the drama. I never pay the least attention to bicycle competitions. (Unless they're blocking off streets for one.) But there I sat watching people pedal furiously, trying to win. I don't care who won, or which country. Some of the vents are a complete bore, but others are interesting.