Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:16 pm

I was taking this test on OKCupid earlier and it recommended Portland, OR for me.

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-which- ... e-you-test

I live near Boston, but I'd prefer someplace west or farther north.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:48 pm

I already lived in my dreamt-of city and hope to move back there someday (and, woohoo, travelling there tomorrow :) ) : ISTANBUL.

- extremely big, with millions of citizens
- warm summers, cold winters, but not a lot of rain. Just nice summers and real winters, but no gloomy wet weather.
- an extreme amount of culture, history all around you, an incredible amount of historical buildings
- a unique crossover of East and West (actually, I culturally prefer Middle East over West, but it has to be a bit liberal, so countries such as Turkey, Lebanon and Israel are very logical outcomes)
- the sea always on your doorstep
- extremely friendly people

Travelling back to Istanbul tomorrow... I am full of excitement to finally visit the city again, although I hope to move back someday. Shame Turkey has no thing like the Green Card in the US, which allows you to permanently reside without depending on employers renewing your working permits (and it takes 7 years of residence first before you can adopt Turkish citizenship)

The other city of dreams to me is Tromsø, North Norway. Combination of the unique arctic feeling and overwhelming scenery of the polar area, but at the same time a very lively city. Also a place I hope to spend a longer time in someday. But I am already privileged to have experienced Istanbul.

Other cities that attract me a lot:
- Tel Aviv (bit for the same reason as Istanbul, but it's a bit smaller... well, a lot smaller. But Israel still highly attracts me and Tel Aviv is the beating heart of the country apart from Jerusalem)
- Hong Kong (multicultural, a bit mysterious, typical metropolis feeling)
- Paris (artistically the best city in Europe)
- Salzburg (cosy, romantic, artistic. In terms of architecture one big piece of art)

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:53 pm

Istanbul (or Constantinople) is an amazing city with a very rich history. The Byzantines are fascinating and the Ottomans. Sounds great.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:54 pm

DejaQ wrote:
I was taking this test on OKCupid earlier and it recommended Portland, OR for me.

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-which- ... e-you-test

I live near Boston, but I'd prefer someplace west or farther north.

Did the test as well... I got Boston.

Must say, not sure if it is atypical for an aspie, but I could not live in a small city or countryside. I want big cities, metropolises. The bigger, the better really. I like the feeling of anonimity, being one of the millions of people, knowing it is full of people around you of all sorts of backgrounds. Always people nearby and still alone when you want ; always something happening. I would not want to live in a small town.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:59 pm

corroonb wrote:
Istanbul (or Constantinople) is an amazing city with a very rich history. The Byzantines are fascinating and the Ottomans. Sounds great.

Lived there for 6 months, going back tomorrow. In less than 24 hours time I will be setting foot on Asian soil (yeah, flying into the Asian side's airport... just cheaper than the flights to the main airport on European side)

I would love to live there again, so although jobs are hard to get I will visit an employment agency with the motto "not trying is always a failure" :) Other than the great history, the people are extremely friendly, a solidarity that has been lost in many EU countries.

Oh well, I am biased. I love Turkey and its people. It's a fantastic place. In Europe, only Scandinavia attracts me to the same extent, mainly Norway is also a place that never fails to impress me (for totally different reasons than the ones which made me fall for Istanbul though)

PS: Constantinopel was the name in the pre-Turkish times when it was still Ottoman empire. When Mustafa Kemal Atatürk founded the modern Turkish state in 1923 he explicitly declared the city is named ONLY Istanbul and has repeatedly asked people to no longer use any other name. Constantinopel would remind too much of the times when Turkey in its modern shape did not exist yet. It is part of history, but the vibrant city existing today is by constitution known only as Istanbul (and some Turks may get offended when saying Constantinopel) :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:03 pm

BOSTON!
You scored 40% Style, 27% Climate, and 73% Culture!

You are Boston, Massachusetts. Boston is the state capital, the seat of Suffolk County, and the largest city in Massachusetts. It is located in the eastern part of the state on Massachusetts Bay. It was incorporated as a city in 1822. No city in the U.S. is richer in historical associations than Boston, and no city has retained more of its original buildings as memorials to America's past. The city's tourist attractions include Faneuil Hall Marketplace, the JFK Library and Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts, the New England Aquarium, the USS Constitution, and many historic buildings and neighborhoods.

You are quite the socialite and very keen on the fine things in life. Not one to turn down a new activity, especially one in which you might learn a little something new, you frequently find yourself out and about, mingling and having a grand old time. You love diverse activites and atmospheres, not to mention people of any sort. Sweltering temperatures are not for you and you can have just as much fun walking around in the snow as you could dining at a fancy restaurant or taking in an independent film. Wicked.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:23 pm

You scored 20% Style, 21% Climate, and 59% Culture!

You are Portland, Oregon! Portland, the largest city in Oregon and seat of Multnomah County, is located in the northwest part of the state on the Willamette River. Portland has a diverse economy with a broad base of manufacturing, distribution, wholesale and retail trade, regional government, and business services. Major manufacturing industries include machinery, electronics, metals, transportation equipment, and lumber and wood products. Technology is a thriving part of Portland's economy, with over 1,700 high-tech companies located in the metropolitan area. Tourism is also important to Portland's economy, drawing more than 7 million visitors annually.

You are a nicely cultured individual, appreciating a good play, book, movie, or fine dining. You also appreciate some diversity, lest things get too boring. Not one for sitting and relaxing for long periods at a time nor dressing up the nines, you take interest in getting outside and being out in nature, enjoying the cool, crisp air...maybe even playing a sport or taking a hike. Portland is a good place to be, my friend.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:25 pm

^
^
""The other city of dreams to me is Tromsø, North Norway""

Wow :) thats special, not one of my first personal picks - people that live there
usually say "i got to get out of this place" hehe been there - not
planning on going back - but of course its a personal "thing" what one likes

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm

HARTFORD!
You scored 9% Style, 33% Climate, and 30% Culture!

LOL I would have never chosen Connecticut (never even thought of it)! Only been to New England once...that was New Hampshire. But to visit, that I'd do!

I'd rather live in Denver even though it's land locked. Nice city, lived there for a short time. Was just the right size, & weather is not too bad. In Europe, I'd love to live in the Loire Valley in France, or in Florence Italy.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:14 pm

YELLOWKNIFE

You scored 1% style, 97% Climate and 2% Culture

(I made that one up) :lol:

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:35 pm

PORTLAND!
You scored 23% Style, 21% Climate, and 68% Culture!

You are Portland, Oregon! Portland, the largest city in Oregon and seat of Multnomah County, is located in the northwest part of the state on the Willamette River. Portland has a diverse economy with a broad base of manufacturing, distribution, wholesale and retail trade, regional government, and business services. Major manufacturing industries include machinery, electronics, metals, transportation equipment, and lumber and wood products. Technology is a thriving part of Portland's economy, with over 1,700 high-tech companies located in the metropolitan area. Tourism is also important to Portland's economy, drawing more than 7 million visitors annually.

You are a nicely cultured individual, appreciating a good play, book, movie, or fine dining. You also appreciate some diversity, lest things get too boring. Not one for sitting and relaxing for long periods at a time nor dressing up the nines, you take interest in getting outside and being out in nature, enjoying the cool, crisp air...maybe even playing a sport or taking a hike. Portland is a good place to be, my friend.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 8:24 pm

Quote:
HARTFORD!
You scored 26% Style, 36% Climate, and 41% Culture!

I want to see this place. Many other cities as well.

One place I really like whenever I visit is Los Angeles. Traffic really doesn't bother me out there, everyone complains about it tho... But the place is so dang INTERESTING. Santa Monica, Long Beach, Hollywood. The place has an interesting atmosphere, even the graffiti appeals to me, the grunge, the LIFE. If I ever got rich, I'd keep an apartment in Long Beach, and walk the streets at night.

15 Aug 2008, 8:37 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I am very happy residing in Portland.

Pro: Very LGBT-friendly, very nice people, neighborhoods are quiet,
pedestrian-friendly, bike-friendly, liberal, not too hot, not too cold

Con: Anti-autism spectrum, too many yuppies & hipsters are invading
the city from California or Seattle, jobs are hard to find, expensive as heck

PS: SG, I know you are a yuppie/hipster

?????

I work in a hotel as a houseperson. Do I need to show photos of my work badge or my paychecks to prove it?

And I moved from Montana. I lived in the Portland area my whole life till age 13 but moved to Montana because my parents wanted to.

I don't know where you got that from about me being a yuppie or hipster.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 8:57 pm

NASHVILLE!
You scored 14% Style, 45% Climate, and 19% Culture!

I never really thought of myself as a Nashville person. :chin:

Those who know, don't speak.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 9:28 pm

some of my faves:

charleston, sc
eugene, or
portland, or

bet seattle's nice too.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 9:59 pm

I'm not really picky, but I would like to move somewhere with gold deposits or natural gems. :)

Those who know, don't speak.