So how old were you when you stopped Trick-Or-Treating?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 12:00 pm

I think the last time I had to go was around 16 or so.

I never liked the fact of going up to strangers home, asking for something, and doing it at dusk or early evening. That was creepy and caused a lot of anxiety for me. Also the costume, or make up sometime irritated my skin or just annoyed me and I couldn't wait to take it off. The routine of going door to door and saying the same lines over and over got boring really fast.

My parents went through my candy to get rid of certain things that they felt were crap (and looking back I agree with them). I was able to keep all the "good" stuff like candy bars.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 12:57 pm

I still go sometimes, and even dress up, but just to supervise kids.

The last time I went to get candy for myself was 18. It was right after 9/11, and everyone was freaking out about anthrax, so there was hardly anyone giving out candy.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 12:36 am

prillix wrote:
Personally, i trick or treated till i was 18. When i was around 16 i realised i was getting too old but i didnt stop, and why would i, free candy!

I went when I was around 22/23. but always with a valid excuse like passing out pamphlets to collect used halloween costumes or collecting for whatever that organization is that collects money are halloween.

And hey if I'm going out on halloween I should be in costume right? And can I help it if people want to drop candy into the halloween bucket I'm carrying my fliers in :D

I'm not going trick or treating, and wouldn't even if i could eat the treats, but i'm going to try and make a halloween costume for the parades this year.

Though I was kind of annoyed last time I dressed up for them. I was a table and the only reason i didn't win was because I was an adult (there were strangers yelling at the judges because I didn't win the one parade). The reason that was annoying is because I lived in another area where I was a kid and the adults always won the prizes

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 2:13 am

The last time I went I was 10. I was such a tall kid that some of the people thought I was older and didn't want to give me any candy so my parents decided they didn't want to take me any more. Truth be told I liked the candy more than dressing up, I especially didn't like the face paint.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 2:20 am

Arbie wrote:
The last time I went I was 10. I was such a tall kid that some of the people thought I was older and didn't want to give me any candy so my parents decided they didn't want to take me any more. Truth be told I liked the candy more than dressing up, I especially didn't like the face paint.

I maybe used face paint once in all the year I went trick or treating.

It sounds like you live in a city. I grew up, where the neighbors would most often only have 4 trick or treaters. Alot of them actually had bags out ready for us because they knew ours would be full before we got to their house. By the time we got to the 15th house, we'd have three bags full of candy.

My favorite stop was always an elderly couple who made up bags full of candy - typically a 1 lb bag of licorice, carmel apple, piece of fudge, 3 king sized candy bars, and a handful of snacksized ones. If we went there at the beginning of trick or treat hours, we'd usually get two bags and be told to return when we were done to collect the extras. If we went at the end, we could end up with 5 bags a piece. I can't tell you most of my neighbors names, but I can point to every house and tell you what they typically gave out on halloween. There is the bag of chips house, the fun dip and large pixie stick house, the snacksize candy/games/toothbrush house, etc. Not sure if any of them would have treats now though because last I know all the kids who lived there are college age, and their parents aren't old enough to have moved out and been replaced by younger families.

I thought it was funny that the kids who lived one road over would go into town to trick or treat because they thought they'd get more candy due to their being more houses - they ended up spending hours to get the same amount they could have gotten in minutes if they went around where they lived.People spoil their trick or treaters when they only have one visit, when people have a hundred trick or treaters they are more stingy with what they give out.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 2:27 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Arbie wrote:

I maybe used face paint once in all the year I went trick or treating.

It sounds like you live in a city. I grew up, where the neighbors would most often only have 4 trick or treaters. Alot of them actually had bags out ready for us because they knew ours would be full before we got to their house. By the time we got to the 15th house, we'd have three bags full of candy.

My favorite stop was always an elderly couple who made up bags full of candy - typically a 1 lb bag of licorice, carmel apple, piece of fudge, 3 king sized candy bars, and a handful of snacksized ones. If we went there at the beginning of trick or treat hours, we'd usually get two bags and be told to return when we were done to collect the extras. If we went at the end, we could end up with 5 bags a piece. I can't tell you most of my neighbors names, but I can point to every house and tell you what they typically gave out on halloween. There is the bag of chips house, the fun dip and large pixie stick house, the snacksize candy/games/toothbrush house, etc. Not sure if any of them would have treats now though because last I know all the kids who lived there are college age, and their parents aren't old enough to have moved out and been replaced by younger families.

I thought it was funny that the kids who lived one road over would go into town to trick or treat because they thought they'd get more candy due to their being more houses - they ended up spending hours to get the same amount they could have gotten in minutes if they went around where they lived.People spoil their trick or treaters when they only have one visit, when people have a hundred trick or treaters they are more stingy with what they give out.

I lived on the coast and our neighborhood didn't have many people who handed out candy so my parents drove me to the suburbs near the elementary school. They always had all kinds of decorations and handed out tons of it. One year I took a garbage bag and got it loaded with candy. You can rest assured that I was too sick to go to school the next day. :lol:

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2008, 2:04 pm

I stopped trick or treating when I was about 14. In our household halloween is a big thing, we decorate the house and still wear costumes that my wife makes (halloween is one of her obsessional interests). Much like prillix my kids stopped trick or treating when they were 17-18. My wife always takes the week of halloween off, makes costumes, and its kind of a tradition to have a few ppl over for homemade stew, chili, breads and desserts, like I said my wifes obsession, but I got to admit with her I like it.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2008, 4:19 pm

I'm 20 and I still go if I can find someone to go with me. Of course, the motivation isn't as great as it used to be... sure, I get to dress up, that's always fun, but all that walking around and knocking on doors just for a bag of sugar? Kind of pointless.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 4:23 pm

Not until I get my first gray hair. 8)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 4:40 pm

I don't think they trick or treat in France - they would probably be greeted with a shotgun anyway 8O

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 4:45 pm

Stop?

I never stopped I just continue by sharing with my 2 cute nieces and one nephew!! :twisted:

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 6:08 pm

Tohlagos wrote:
I think the last time I had to go was around 16 or so.

I never liked the fact of going up to strangers home, asking for something, and doing it at dusk or early evening. That was creepy and caused a lot of anxiety for me. Also the costume, or make up sometime irritated my skin or just annoyed me and I couldn't wait to take it off. The routine of going door to door and saying the same lines over and over got boring really fast.

My parents went through my candy to get rid of certain things that they felt were crap (and looking back I agree with them). I was able to keep all the "good" stuff like candy bars.

If people followed my town's trick or treat hours than no one would have been home to give out candy most years - they made them from 4-6 on whatever day halloween was. keep in mind this was a town where most people drove 30 minutes to an hour to get to work. Usually i'd trick or treat until 10.

But this is the same neighborhood where people didn't have a reason to lock their doors and you could expect anyone to walk into your house without knocking before 10 o'clock even if you had no reason to expect them. so I doubt anyone thought twice about seeing a trick or treater that late at night.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 9:25 pm

i go on and off. all of the costume stores have such boring costumes these days so, i have to create my own costume. last year i went as girl who forgot it was halloween and wore a santa claus hat.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 6:49 pm

I was fourteen.

But I'm thinking of atarting again this year. XD Then again, maybe not. I don't even eat chocolate. XD

Well, if there's no awesome Halloween party this year or anything and my freiends are still into that, I might go to spend time with them. :)

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 8:41 pm

Last time I went I was 22 or 23. :D

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:37 pm

tinky wrote:
i go on and off. all of the costume stores have such boring costumes these days so, i have to create my own costume. last year i went as girl who forgot it was halloween and wore a santa claus hat.

That reminds me of something my friend and I were going to try when we were around 16/17 (thankfully we never got around to it)

We were going to go trick or treating near christmas. We figured they'd have candy and it would be fun to see if any of them would actually give it to us. we got the idea from a candid camera show.

I doubt we would have went to many houses before getting chewed out so badly we'd never consider doing it again