Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2008, 10:20 am

I've heard a lot of mixed messages about coffee, having been raised Mormon with this "coffee and tea = EVIL" mentality. Now I want to try and get a less biased opinion.

Anyone here know for a fact that they are hooked? When did you first realize it? Do you get withdrawal when you don't get your fix for a while, like headaches or irritability or something?

It seems fairly innocuous, it's just a nice little drink. A socially acceptable addiction if there ever was one. But I've heard it can be pretty nasty if you let it become a chronic thing. (My yellow-eyed, brown-toothed 6th grade speech teacher comes to mind)

Is anyone here in this reputed "advanced stage" of coffee addiction? I ask, because I think I might be headed this way myself, and I want to know if it's not really that bad or if I should nip it in the bud while it's still easy.

Thanks

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 10:50 am

I am a long-time coffee drinker, and more than likely addicted to it. Mormons will have plural marriages, but they will not drink tea?

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2008, 11:10 am

slowmutant wrote:
I am a long-time coffee drinker, and more than likely addicted to it. Mormons will have plural marriages, but they will not drink tea?

Well, they don't officially do the plural marriage thing anymore. The stuff you've been hearing in the news recently is about sects that have split off from the main LDS church organization.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 11:46 am

Are you sure your 6th grade teacher didn't have teeth stained from nicotine and not caffiene?

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 11:50 am

I just tried to give up coffee to substitute green tea. It failed miserably. I had a constant headache, and, ironically, couldn't sleep. Quitting smoking was much easier.

Daran
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 11:59 am

Green tea and chocolate have the same drug in them as coffee and black tea (caffeine), so if you want to quit the buzz of cafeine, you should drink herb tea, plain water or fruit juices. Mormons do eat and drink chocolate so they miss the proper understanding of why coffee and tea are "evil" drinks.

Last edited by Daran on 03 Oct 2008, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:04 pm

What is it with Mormons and tea/coffee?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:04 pm

Or you could use a caffiene patch, that popped in my head as a joke but does not sound so far fetch.

EV
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2008, 12:57 pm

My name is EV and I'm a coffee addict. I could stop drinking it, of course. The same can be said of any addiction. However, the times that I have quit/run out, I have experienced headaches and...erm...impaired bowel function. Bleh! I'd rather continue to indulge than to face that, again. So, yes. It can be physically (not just psychologically) addictive.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:19 pm

I am a ex coffee addict, 20 cup a day, now I only have a cup once a week. I do drink a lot of green tea, upwards of 60oz
to 80oz per day, I know it still has caffeine, but tea has the added health benefits, its good for the teeth and gum's.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2008, 2:15 pm

slowmutant wrote:
What is it with Mormons and tea/coffee?

They have this thing called the "Word of Wisdom." It was supposedly a divine revelation received by Joseph Smith, advising against the use of alcohol, tobacco, "hot drinks" (usually interpreted as meaning coffee and tea, but sometimes extended as far as any caffeinated beverage), and the unnecessary consumption of meat (it's only for times of famine). These guidelines started out as a suggestion, but a later prophet effectively made them law.

That part about meat is funny to me; Mormons can be so persnickety about not drinking a drop of coffee, even steering clear of Mountain Dew, but they have no qualms about wolfing down unlimited amounts of meat.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 2:20 pm

So it's Mormon kosher.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 2:32 pm

I love coffee
I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me.
Coffee and tea
Sugar and cream
A cup a cup a cup a cup....boy...

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Oct 2008, 4:24 pm

Waiter, waiter, percolator...

I had to give up extensive coffee drinking, when I developed a mitochondrial disorder. Now I have an occasional cup of specialty coffee, (or even just regular) as a treat. My favorites, are Cafe con Leche, and Mocha Raspberry.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 4:29 pm

What is a mitochondrial disorder? It's something genetic, right?

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 4:34 pm

Used to not even be able to take a swig of coffee... Now I drink 40-60 oz a day. That doesn't include the 32-48 oz a day energy drink habit I have...

I've tried giving up the energy drinks a few times. I actually thought seriously of this after purchasing 192 energy drinks, which kind of irritated me. I shared em, gave em away, and consumed them like crazy. One month later I had one single 24 pack that I sold for twenty bucks. Thought that was the end of it. Wasn't... :(

Think I'm addicted to caffeine... :(