Page 1 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 389

05 Dec 2008, 11:33 am

I posted this topic and Facebook and this guys response pissed me off. He just came across as very arrogant. His replies are towards the bottom (mike) and my reply to him is the very last one (that's unless somebody posted after me).

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic ... #post34036



violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,297

05 Dec 2008, 11:36 am

I agree with most of what you said. Obesity however, isn't simply a matter of calories in calories out, there are some people more genetically prone to being obese. There are people who will be fat all their life, no matter what they do, it simply is a bias based on that which cannot be changed. Even though the media keeps drilling into people's heads it can be changed, so they make more money off of diet advertising.

A fat kid may be the result of a poor diet, or it may be the result of genetics. You don't know unless you're that child's parent or doctor.



kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 389

05 Dec 2008, 11:37 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
I agree with most of what you said. Obesity however, isn't simply a matter of calories in calories out, there are some people more genetically prone to being obese. There are people who will be fat all their life, no matter what they do, it simply is a bias based on that which cannot be changed. Even though the media keeps drilling into people's heads it can be changed, so they make more money off of diet advertising.

A fat kid may be the result of a poor diet, or it may be the result of genetics. You don't know unless you're that child's parent or doctor.


i know that...some people in m family are obese due to genes. but i was stating that just as an example of parents who DO feed their kids crap and it ISN'T a genetic issue...



violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,297

05 Dec 2008, 11:42 am

It can be a genetic issue. Unless you're that child's parent you don't know what health issue that child might have. If you found out the child had been diagnosed with PCOS for example, would you still be blaming them or their parents for something that is beyond their control? If blaming people for being fat worked, nobody would be fat. Clearly the right way to go about things is to accept people at every size, unless you have clear evidence they are not eating correctly.



kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 389

05 Dec 2008, 11:45 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
It can be a genetic issue. Unless you're that child's parent you don't know what health issue that child might have. If you found out the child had been diagnosed with PCOS for example, would you still be blaming them or their parents for something that is beyond their control? If blaming people for being fat worked, nobody would be fat. Clearly the right way to go about things is to accept people at every size, unless you have clear evidence they are not eating correctly.


i know it can be a genetic issue, that's what i put in my first response to you...and yes, i have seen many parent's feed their kids junk and they are fat. just walking past the eatery in the mall i see kids drinking soda's and fast food. those kids are fat, and my wild guess is it's not just a genetic issue....



kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 389

05 Dec 2008, 11:48 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
Clearly the right way to go about things is to accept people at every size, unless you have clear evidence they are not eating correctly.


in addition, my post about obese people was strictly made to show that kid's can get obese from eating junk. please do not take it out of context and make it seem like i have any hatred towards obese people. some of my best friend's are overweight..



violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,297

05 Dec 2008, 11:51 am

Right I heard you say you understood with the genetic issue before. However, then you go on to assume that all fat kids are fat from overeating. You are trying to have it both ways, you're saying it's both genetics and simply calories in calories out. You also feel you are able to judge simply by looking at a child they must be fat from overeating. Perhaps you don't see children as being smaller people, you see them as an entity into themselves.

What I am saying is for all people, including children, you do not know that person's health simply by looking whether to see they are fat or thin. We wouldn't need doctors, if one could simply tell by looking at someone, their entire health history. Do you know if the people who are genetically predisposed to being fatter, were fat children? Perhaps you should ask them, if they were fat as children, it may give you insight that even with kids health isn't simple as looking at body size.



poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,714
Location: Snapdragon Ridge

05 Dec 2008, 11:53 am

never underestimate the power of the two working in conjunction... :wink:
(speaking from personal experience)



kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 389

05 Dec 2008, 11:57 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
Right I heard you say you understood with the genetic issue before. However, then you go on to assume that all fat kids are fat from overeating. You are trying to have it both ways, you're saying it's both genetics and simply calories in calories out. You also feel you are able to judge simply by looking at a child they must be fat from overeating. Perhaps you don't see children as being smaller people, you see them as an entity into themselves.

What I am saying is for all people, including children, you do not know that person's health simply by looking whether to see they are fat or thin. We wouldn't need doctors, if one could simply tell by looking at someone, their entire health history. Do you know if the people who are genetically predisposed to being fatter, were fat children? Perhaps you should ask them, if they were fat as children, it may give you insight that even with kids health isn't simple as looking at body size.


nooo...i said kid's can be fat due to genetics or they can be fat due to eating crap. do not tell me what i "feel." while some people are genetically predisposed to being over weight, there ARE also kids who are overweight due to bad eating habits. that was my point. please don't try and pick my brain...you are taking everything i have said out of context, and not understanding my point in saying what i said in the first place. the guy was basically saying to feed kids whatever they want. my reply was there are so many obese kids out there already because parent's do just that. i did not mention the children predisposed to obesity, because that was not the topic...



kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 389

05 Dec 2008, 11:58 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
never underestimate the power of the two working in conjunction... :wink:
(speaking from personal experience)


oh hey olivia :)



Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 741

05 Dec 2008, 11:58 am

Honestly,
what he said was very rude and you should have him reported for his sarcastic abuse. However, you also shouldn't let what he said get to you because he's got his own problems and it will all come back to him.



kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 389

05 Dec 2008, 11:59 am

Miyah wrote:
Honestly,
what he said was very rude and you should have him reported for his sarcastic abuse. However, you also shouldn't let what he said get to you because he's got his own problems and it will all come back to him.


you're right. i think the guy just has a chip on his shoulder.



violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,297

05 Dec 2008, 12:00 pm

Were you aware of the growing numbers of young children with eating disorders, because of the constant fear mongering surrounding fat? How about just let a child eat healthy, a variety of fruits (Yes, fruits have sugar in them!), vegetables, and see what they like. Instead of terrifying them and stealing away their childhood, with stories about how they will die if they become fat.



kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 389

05 Dec 2008, 12:04 pm

violet_yoshi wrote:
Were you aware of the growing numbers of young children with eating disorders, because of the constant fear mongering surrounding fat? How about just let a child eat healthy, a variety of fruits (Yes, fruits have sugar in them!), vegetables, and see what they like. Instead of terrifying them and stealing away their childhood, with stories about how they will die if they become fat.


yes..i am aware of that ( a friend of mine is bulemic). do you think i am stupid? and who exactly am i terrifying here? i don't go around telling my son or people i see out in public that they are going to get fat by eating junk. my son eats healthy because i care and he enjoys the food. you are responding to me like i am the cause of all eating disorders lol It's common sense..junk food isn't good for you...junk food can make you fat. it's not just me saying this but many physicians. do you have an eating disorder or are you overweight? you're being a LITTLE too sensitive on this obesity thing...relax.



violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,297

05 Dec 2008, 12:14 pm

kattoo13 wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:
Were you aware of the growing numbers of young children with eating disorders, because of the constant fear mongering surrounding fat? How about just let a child eat healthy, a variety of fruits (Yes, fruits have sugar in them!), vegetables, and see what they like. Instead of terrifying them and stealing away their childhood, with stories about how they will die if they become fat.


yes..i am aware of that ( a friend of mine is bulemic). do you think i am stupid? and who exactly am i terrifying here? i don't go around telling my son or people i see out in public that they are going to get fat by eating junk. my son eats healthy because i care and he enjoys the food. you are responding to me like i am the cause of all eating disorders lol It's common sense..junk food isn't good for you...junk food can make you fat. it's not just me saying this but many physicians. do you have an eating disorder or are you overweight? you're being a LITTLE too sensitive on this obesity thing...relax.


I find it fascinating you think someone must be either overweight, or with an eating disorder, to see the importance of the prevailing body prejudice that is prevalent today. Perhaps the problem is so few "normal" weight people, see the seriousness in the effects body prejudice has not only in general, but on impressionable children. A child doesn't understand grey areas, if you tell a child that a food may make them fat, or that being fat is bad for them, they will take it to heart. This is how eating disorders start.

You say I'm a little too sensitive on the issues regarding the Obesity Hysteria, has it occured to you make you're being a little too insensitve regarding body prejudice? I don't understand why it's so difficult for people to believe that teaching a child strict rules around food, is not healthy for them. Is it going to take an image of an eating disorders center filled with 5-10 year olds? Isn't it horrific enough that children at younger and younger ages are learning that starving themselves is better than being healthy at any size?



kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 389

05 Dec 2008, 12:21 pm

violet_yoshi wrote:
kattoo13 wrote:

I find it fascinating you think someone must be either overweight, or with an eating disorder, to see the importance of the prevailing body prejudice that is prevalent today.
when did i say this? i am the least "prejudice" person you will meet. i was stating a medical FACT that junk food is bad for you. have you ever seen the movie "supersize me" or "fast food nation"? i even read the book, so don't start with me on being prejudice. i was stating something that is common sense.

Quote:
Perhaps the problem is so few "normal" weight people, see the seriousness in the effects body prejudice has not only in general, but on impressionable children. A child doesn't understand grey areas, if you tell a child that a food may make them fat, or that being fat is bad for them, they will take it to heart. This is how eating disorders start.
and how do you know i am "normal" weight. my entire life i have been UNDERWEIGHT (according to medical "standards")..you're making assumptions about me based on your OWN issues. my son isn't an idiot..he knows what good food is and what bad food is. he still has a ravenous appetite, difference is he eats healthy..
Quote:
You say I'm a little too sensitive on the issues
yes...that's exactly what i said. and every time you post, you prove my point. lol