Page 4 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 1:48 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
^ That's so weird. I am very surprised that the president got so much flack for saying nuclear that way because 80% of people I've heard say it that way! I know because it always pissed my mom off and she'd make a big deal anytime anyone said it lol.

Maybe I just happen to know a lot of dum people lol

No - I heard it a lot, too, growing up.

For me, it drove me crazy 'cause you'd hope a guy with the finger on the button would know how to pronounce a little thing like "nuclear". I can forgive the schmo who changes my tires. Or my ignorant cousin in Fresno.

Just like I'd think twice about handing over a $25K down payment on a house to someone who says, "real-a-tor".

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 3:53 pm

b9 wrote:
i hate "touch base"

I just remembered I hate that one, too! I also hate "signage" and there was yet another one my bf said yesterday, but I forgot what it was...

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 4:08 pm

"picking someones brain" as in "let me pick your brain for a second joanna" it creeps me out.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 4:11 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
b9 wrote:
i hate "touch base"

I just remembered I hate that one, too! I also hate "signage" and there was yet another one my bf said yesterday, but I forgot what it was...

Ugh...signage. Then there's out-of-pocket, impactful, ping, push the envelope, drill down, double-click on, best practices, parking lot, offline, soup to nuts, stakeholder...

The only thing worse is when you find yourself using annoying jargon. I try to make it a hard and fast rule not to use business jargon - but sometimes when I'm in a hurry and dealing with a bunch of bobblehead, sales goons and marketing bots - its just easier to use the native language.

One of the best books for business writers is: Why Business People Speak Like Idiots: A Bullfighter's Guide

It's funny and makes a serious case for NOT using stupid business jargon.

One of the anecdotes is how a stupid, boring, jargon-filled, PowerPoint "preso" contributed to the last space shuttle disaster. Engineers warned about some of the problems in a PowerPoint(!) and it was so damned boring and confusing it went right past everyone. :huh: :duh: :tired:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Feb 2009, 8:39 pm

I intensely dislike when someone says "Awight?" instead of "Alright?" I also hate "whilst," "touch base with you," (don't you DARE touch me!) and "awaiting" instead of "waiting."

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 9:22 pm

Like, when used so many times it looses all meaning (So, like, I was, like, walking down the, like, street, like).
Innit, since it isn't even a word (last year I heard about a teenager who wanted a taxi, but instead ordered a cabinet :lol:)
Chagrined. Ever since Twilight became popular people have been using it all the time a school. At the very least they could use it in the right context ><

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Feb 2009, 2:06 pm

The local weather woman uses some words/phrases that really annoy me:

"out and about"
"get-go"
"off and on"
"here and there"
"in the overnight tonight"

There are more, but she uses these so much that it's...it's...it's...well, I just don't have words to explain it.

Signs654
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2009, 4:07 pm

When people say "library" as "lie berry".

When people say "hot water heater". It's just a "water heater". If the water were already hot, you wouldn't need to heat it.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 5:49 pm

I hate:
"My bad!" Opitmus Prime used this in the first Transformers, and it made him sound like an unintelligent buffoon instead of a wise leader.

"Veggies" Hate, hate, hate this 'cutesy' word! :evil:

Thats all I can think of for now. 8)

Signs654
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2009, 7:37 pm

Metalwolf wrote:

So what would you call a veggieburger?

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 7:52 pm

Signs654 wrote:
Metalwolf wrote:

So what would you call a veggieburger?
A vegetable burger :wink:

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 8:20 pm

I just remembered I also hate "Take care" and "You too".

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Feb 2009, 8:31 pm

I, also, hate "My Bad." So ret*d sounding!

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 9:18 pm

Yes, "my bad" is annoying.

I dislike it when people try to "get their head around" a difficult idea, or when an annoyance "does their head in." Both are ridiculous sayings that don't really even resemble the concepts they are supposed to.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 2:29 am

I hate the saying "it is what it is" meaning they don't care what happens.
I also hate the term "morbidly obese" because that describes me because of all the poison pills I have been taking which don't work anyways and just puts on weight. It also sounds deadly.
I hate people calling me "fat and ugly" even though I call myself that because once again, the pills. I take a whole bunch of pills for various problems.

perfectburger
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Mar 2009, 11:08 am

I can't stand most new slang, or terms used by groups I'm not affiliated with. I know that's how language works with ingroups, but it's annoying to not know what they are talking about. I also don't care much for ghetto talk, or people making fun of it by using it either. I just think it's stupid to hear a businessman say stuff like "yo dog!" or "what up g?"

I also don't like "babaganoosh" (sp.)

But I do like the slang I learned growing up.