Page 2 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 11:52 am

mitharatowen wrote:
^ The way things are going, UrbanDictionary.com is probably going to end up being a legitimate source to use in defining words/coining new ones.

I think one of my bad encounters with the urban language was when someone called me jike in a thread.

Well I never heard that word, so I look it up in the Urban Dictionary to find it meant as*hole.

I was so mad! :x

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 11:58 am

Well - agree with all the urban speak. I can't stand it and loathe it when they use it in advertising.

And it really pisses me off when I use it especially "my bad". I always hated that and now I find myself saying it.

I understand "whilst" but I hate it when Americans say it. Or when Americans affect any British vocabulary - written or spoken. It just sounds so pretentious coming from one of my countrymen or women.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 12:20 pm

amazon_television wrote:
I hate ... "by the way"

ooooooh, that one really gets me. All because of one person I know, who always says, "by the way..." right before she says something to nag or criticize.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 12:22 pm

I would of put something better here, but I had to go of out ....

:lol: Can you spot them?

twix93
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2009, 1:23 pm

I hate:

'n' meaning 'and'
whatchamacallit
the sound 'th' as in 'thin'
words ending in -ie

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 1:35 pm

"Wanna come with?"

(although I have to admit, I rather like words, even new ones and slang...)

invisiblem0nsters
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2009, 3:02 pm

Caramel pronounced CARmel *visibly cringes*
This/that "may or may not" be the case...(Those are the only two possibilities!)
Blogosphere :|

Social_Fantom wrote:
I hate pop culture terms like "this is how I roll.' :evil:

But I do like to make fun of them. Every time I hear that particular one I say "Oh yeah, well I roll by lying down on the floor and rolling across it." :lol:

I especially hate when someone says "that's where it's at." But I make fun of that one too. I say something like, "Yep, it's over there."

Bahahaha.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 3:10 pm

Ebonics :evil:

I can't believe they wanted to teach it in schools. F**k that. I'd move to jolly old England before I'd live in a country where ebonics are taught in our schools!

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:26 pm

digger1 wrote:
Ebonics :evil:

I can't believe they wanted to teach it in schools. F**k that. I'd move to jolly old England before I'd live in a country where ebonics are taught in our schools!

Little known fact (or theory)...ebonics is actually Southern US English. My husband is a white, college-educated ,dude from Atlanta, Georgia and speaks ebonics. His brother is a PhD and speaks ebonics. "Ain't", double negatives, and horrific pronunciation and grammar are accepted forms of speech in this part of the country. Listen to a University of Georgia football game on the radio and the guy is barely intelligible. (But he's like this freakin' god in Georgia)

My husband has a finance degree and he pronounces "fiscal" as "physical". It drives me insane. I try to explain to him that people from other parts of the country (or world) will think he's uneducated but it just makes him even more stubborn.

At least the Oakland Public School system had some method to their ebonic madness. Here in the South it was taught in all public schools by way of NOT correcting kids' improper English. Its changing but I swear, if my little daughter starts speaking like that - we're moving to Jolly Old England!

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:29 pm

While "ebonics" is a closely related dialect to those in the Southern United States, I don't think they are generally classified as the same.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:47 pm

twoshots wrote:
While "ebonics" is a closely related dialect to those in the Southern United States, I don't think they are generally classified as the same.

No they are not - literally - but there are just a few degrees of seperation.

Apologies for cutting and pasting from wiki:

"African American Vernacular English (AAVE)—also called African American English; less precisely Black English, Black Vernacular, Black English Vernacular (BEV), or Black Vernacular English (BVE)—is an African American variety (dialect, ethnolect and sociolect) of American English. Non-linguists sometimes call it Ebonics (a term that also has other meanings or strong connotations) or jive (which can mean the slang of AAVE and/or the signifying for which AAVE is famous). Its pronunciation is, in some respects, common to Southern American English, which is spoken by many African Americans and many non-African Americans in the United States."

Looking at the examples, they are more closely related than many realize. Especially within the older generations of Southerners. ANd when older white Southerners mix with older Black Southerners, the dialect becomes even more similar.

And obviously, each racial group has their own set of slang words for the other - which I would never repeat here or anywhere else.

The deeper South you get - the more they become indistinguishable. For example, in TN, SC and NC - the white Southerners have a softer (less nasal) accent and tend to have better grammar. The deeper you get, GA, AL, MS and LA - the more ebonics-y it gets.

BTW - one of my favorite things about being an aspie is my ability to hear regional differences between dialects and accents. I can't always understand WHAT they are saying but I can easily tell WHERE they are from. I can tell if someone is from Southern Virginia or Maryland. Ohio or Indiana. California or Oregon. British Columbia or Ontario. Its a hobby of mine I picked up when I began travelling for business. If I've had a few cocktails, I can mimic them easily, too.

kamikaze_penguin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2009, 6:22 am

The word "moist" really annoys me. And when the word "mature" is pronounced with a long "u" sound--whenever I hear it said like that, I want to rip the speaker's eyeballs out and retreat to a corner so the sound will stop echoing in my head (I'm not kidding about the last part).

jerseyzuks
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Feb 2009, 8:41 am

Irregardless. My friends use this word intentionally now just to watch me cringe.

People who say "pacific" when they mean "specific". I had a co-worker who not only said that, she would type it as well. I have an email that she sent to our entire IT organization (hundreds of people), where she used the phrase "pacific website" about 10 times. The rest of us were baffled, thinking that the company launched some west coast oriented web page without us knowing.

The commercials on the radio where they say Realtor, but they over emphasize the second syllable so it sounds like real-TOUR

People who say "axed" when they mean "asked" or "ask", as in "let me axed you a question".

ladyasd

25 Feb 2009, 10:25 am

The expression "touch base" (As in "let's touch base") makes me cringe. I also hate the use of the word "choices" in the following sentence:

"We have 3 choices..."

No, we have one choice. We have 3 options.

jerseyzuks
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Feb 2009, 10:46 am

ladyasd wrote:
The expression "touch base" (As in "let's touch base") makes me cringe.

You would of hated my old boss {just for you Keith :wink: }

Every email he sent out was filled with those stupid corporate cliches.

Hey team,

Once we have all of our ducks in a row, lets circle back and touch base with our client. Remember to think outside the box. Once we seize the opportunity, I'm sure we will all hit the ground running!

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 10:56 am

The word "an", I always try my best to just say "a"!