What do you Grow?? The Garden Thread

Page 23 of 28 [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next

RadioDog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2020, 2:01 pm

I'm trying to get some Creeping Jenny to grow in a bare, front space (surrounded by concrete, so no worries of it taking over the city).

I dug up 2 bits from a neighboring patch. One is planted in partial shade, and seems to be doing well. The other is in full sun, and looked a little wilted yesterday (haven't checked it today).

Any ideas on how to help it? (or perhaps it can't thrive there?)

"Autism isn't an illness but it's a condition that messes with our ability to have our psychological needs met." - DuckHairback on this site.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 2:48 pm

It doesn’t thrive in the ionosphere.
Mine does better in partial to full shade and it doesn’t like to dry out completely.
It sounds like a female stalker doesn’t it?
Creeping Jenny is lurking in the bottom garden.lol

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2020, 6:28 pm

This is weird. Radiodog writes he’s trying to grow creeping Jenny and my in-laws send a picture of creeping Jenny wanting to know what it is. I’ve never seen it before, but it was easy to find in my Newcombs guide.

Creeping Jenny is a Lysimachia and likes water. The pic my in-laws sent showed it growing on the edge of a pond, almost in the water.

Misslizard: what I should have done with Florida Survivor is take cuttings from the original plant. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

Wait till you see the berries of beauty berry....

I an jealous of your success with lavender. I hope it continues to grow well for you.

I know what you mean about hot and muggy. By 9am I have to quit working outside.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 10:57 am

Creeping Jenny is getting around.lol
Had my first bloom of the Sweet Tea Gardenia.So far so good.Fingers crossed its as hardy as they say.
Added some cold hardy tropicals,
Musa banana,which will overwinter with mulch.I had one before and it did fine till I forgot to tend it one winter.Tea Cup and Pink stem “elephant ears”,also hardy with mulch.A dwarf pomegranate which will be overwintering in the house.
Supposedly they can take indoor dry heat.I expect spider mites will make an appearance on it this winter.They will get the soap spray.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 1:46 pm

Have you tried persimmons? I wasn't all that fond of them until I grew some myself. There are two types, a soft ripening one and a crisp one. I guess they aren't really tropical...

Figs: I knew someone who grew a fig tree in New York State. He planted it on an angle and when winter came, he pushed it down even with the soil and covered it well. Uncovered it in the spring and got figs each year.

Avocados: The Mexican avocados, some of them are very cold hardy, down to 15 degrees.

How cold does it get where you are? Some tropicals will take 30 degrees or even 27.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2020, 1:48 pm

Right now I'm growing and harvesting spinach, lettuce and turnips. I got a very late start this year but I'm going to try to see if tomato and pepper plants will have enough time to grow yet this season. I'm going to plant the seedlings I bought today or tomorrow.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 5:59 am

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 7:20 am

Magna and domineekee:

YUM! :heart:

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 7:29 am

Magna wrote:
Right now I'm growing and harvesting spinach, lettuce and turnips. I got a very late start this year but I'm going to try to see if tomato and pepper plants will have enough time to grow yet this season. I'm going to plant the seedlings I bought today or tomorrow.

I’d expect you should still have time to get a harvest off the toms: although you might have to pinch out the growing tips at some point later in the summer to make them focus on ripening the fruit they’ve already made.
Home-grown toms are a great joy: the promise in the smell of them growing and it’s eventual fulfilment in rich succulent flavour. :nomnomnom:
What type are you growing?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 7:42 am

domineekee wrote:

Well done that man! :D

Looks a deliciously gratifying return on your labours: what dishes will be made from them? :D

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 8:00 am

Karamazov wrote:
domineekee wrote:

Well done that man! :D

Looks a deliciously gratifying return on your labours: what dishes will be made from them? :D

Thank Karamazov!
This lot got roasted and the greens blanched and it was all very tasty. I didn't realise that the potatoes were ready but accidentally unearthed one.
All the veg is ridiculously crammed into the beds a few mm apart from one another but this seems to worked out OK in terms of giving no space for weeds

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 11:32 am

blazingstar wrote:
Have you tried persimmons? I wasn't all that fond of them until I grew some myself. There are two types, a soft ripening one and a crisp one. I guess they aren't really tropical...

Figs: I knew someone who grew a fig tree in New York State. He planted it on an angle and when winter came, he pushed it down even with the soil and covered it well. Uncovered it in the spring and got figs each year.

Avocados: The Mexican avocados, some of them are very cold hardy, down to 15 degrees.

How cold does it get where you are? Some tropicals will take 30 degrees or even 27.

We have wild persimmons, not at all tasty till it frosts on them.Then they are sweet and delicious.I planted one of the Asian ones , Ichi something or other.It makes a few huge ones.They are crisp rather than soft.
Our winter temps can really fluctuate.Occasionally we hit the goose egg at 0.The coldest I’ve never seen was 15 below.Usually about 20 is the lowest.One winter was so mild that the lizards were out in February.Hopefully the deep freeze was a once in a lifetime event.The plumbers were happy, most everyone’s pipes froze.Like the summer it hit 111.Hope I don’t see that again.It didn’t rain for months and everything was dead and huge trees died.
I have a brown turkey fig that makes about every other year depending if it got froze back.Im going to start wrapping it every winter in burlap and frost blankets.Some folks in town have a giant fig planted next to the house, it never freezes back so I guess the warmth from the house protects it.
I have an avocado in a pot and it comes inside for the winter.Ive heard there are Russian pomegranates that are very cold hardy.I might try those.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 11:34 am

domineekee wrote:

Beautiful!!Such nice blemish free potatoes.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 11:36 am

Magna wrote:

The best way to eat a fresh tomatoe off the vine is to carry a salt shaker out to the garden, pick a ripe one of the vine,and enjoy!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 12:19 pm

The lilies are queen of the garden right now.I’m going to try and cross one of the trumpets with an oriental.I hope I did it right and it makes seeds.It takes about three years to see the results. A work in progress.
I plan on ordering more to plant this fall along with some fragrant daffodils.
The rain stopped and I had to repair a garden hose to water.How is it a hose will snag up on the smallest thing when you’re dragging it around.Grrrrrrr.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 4:00 pm

The broad beans are nice and high this year.
Last year the adjacent cow field flooded and we dug a great long channel through the garden to irrigate the veg patch. I think we got a lot of good minerals into the soil.