Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JameAlec
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2009, 8:18 pm

Anyone else have bad seasonal allergies? Just walking to and from my car today made me start sneezing over and over, watery eyes, face swelling, etc. I hate spring. :(

I've gone through just about every allergy medication on the market, and they all either don't work or knock me out! It sucks. I just have to wait until I can pass out for a few hours to take anything.

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2009, 9:59 pm

JameAlec wrote:
Anyone else have bad seasonal allergies? Just walking to and from my car today made me start sneezing over and over, watery eyes, face swelling, etc. I hate spring. :(

I've gone through just about every allergy medication on the market, and they all either don't work or knock me out! It sucks. I just have to wait until I can pass out for a few hours to take anything.

I have both seasonal (grasses) and perennial (dust mites, some trees, animal danders). I haven't been too bad this year, but it has been a late spring. Happily my allergies have lessened over the years, but I still have my moments. I have only just gotten my sense of smell back after years and years (my cats apparently were having a big impact on my nose, and when they finally died of old age, my sense of smell came slowly back, although I am finding a sense of smell can be somewhat overrated at times, :wink: ). Have you gone to an allergist? They may be able to figure out exactly what is the worst culprit, offer an action plan or prescribe something that may be of help, the medicine is ever changing in this field. I can't take the OTC meds any more, they tend to over-stimulate me, cause night mares, or cause headaches. I have had some success with the nasal corticosteroids though, plus sinus bidet/nasal lavage - again, check with your family doctor or request to see an allergist, see what they can work out for you.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 11:02 pm

Yes, seasonal allergies usually have a bad effect on me. No oral pharmaceuticals or nasal sprays are viable solutions. I get an injection of Kenalog (a type of steroid), which solves the problem within five minutes, and lasts for 4 to 6 weeks. The doctor says he can only give me two doses of it per year, which has always been enough to handle my springtime allergy season. So far this year, I haven't needed it.

pennypincher

14 May 2009, 5:27 pm

If you can afford it, allergy desensitation shots work wonders. You would need to go to the doctor once per week for several years. I used to have terrible hayfever; I was practically housebound in August and September. In addition, I had what is called oral allergy syndrome. I was allergic to nearly all raw fruits and vegetables. Even getting watermelon juice on my skin made me break out in a rash. After being on the shots for five years, my oral allergy syndrome went away. Now I can actually eat salad and watermelon and it does not bother me.

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2009, 5:38 pm

I have hayfever, but it's not that bad.