For girls/women: Did you play with dolls as a kid?

Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Did you play with dolls as a kid?
Yes 23%  23%  [ 32 ]
Yes 23%  23%  [ 32 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 26 ]
No 19%  19%  [ 26 ]
Other - please describe 8%  8%  [ 11 ]
Other - please describe 8%  8%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 138

AegNuddel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2006, 3:04 pm

Ah yes, now I remember tsking them apart too...especially cheap ones. I had no desire to take apart better-made dolls, but when one limb accidentally came off...so did the rest (on purpose)

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2006, 6:12 pm

Um. Yes. I had Barbie Dolls when I was really little. My last doll that I got, can't remember when, was a Samantha doll, you know from the American Girl books.

Cartoonist4X
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2006, 12:46 pm

I'm a dude and I played with dolls. I liked to make them fight.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 10:49 pm

I did played with GI Joe and a Indian Tonto as well as Ken too.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2006, 9:48 am

I hated dolls, which devastated my twin sister. She told me that she thought I would be a constant playmate. I never was. I did not understand the concept of dolls or fluffy toys and still don't.
I did the classic "turn the toy cars upside down and spin the wheels" thing. Also staring into space was great fun.
As soon as I learnt to read, it consumed a lot of my time.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2006, 3:18 pm

When I was three I was given a doll in a pink dress. I named her Dave.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2006, 4:28 pm

My sister and I owned 11 barbie dolls between us and 2 ken dolls. We also had 2 cindy dolls and about 4 cheap ones. I guess this confirms that I used to play with dolls when I was a girl.

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2006, 4:57 pm

I played with numorus Action men and i also have Batman toys and Starwars figers i rember getting a barbe doll but hated it eventually once i found out about sexual refrences :oops: yeah i think nows a good time to stop.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 5:51 pm

lazy-Jane wrote:
My brothers burned and d my dolls, and cut off their hair. This upset my sister greatly, though I could care less. I played more with my brothers toys then my own, loved the cars and robots and stuff compared to a barbie.

I never really played with dolls in a "normal" way. I would bury them in the sandbox up to their heads, I would use the grill to give them a Jedi burial (plastic reeks!), or to them. I would switch body parts around, or stick firecrackers inside and set them off. I would rub them in shortening and stick them in the oven---actually, I only did that once. I guess I'm twisted...it was fun, though. And I wasn't thinking about how antisocial it made me look, I was just having fun.

I much prefered army men, the ones molded out of green plastic that stand about two inches tall. I had hundreds of those, and I would spend hours in the sand box setting them up just right, burying strips of firecrackers, and then lighting the fuse. I loved those toys. Then I got Legos and haven't touched a doll or action figure since.

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2006, 5:38 pm

I had a few dolls bought for me unasked for and played with them in an unmotherly way holding them by their hair. But I was, am still am, into teddy bears. I used to put a nappy on one and I pretended to feed them. I played with teddy bears in the the way NT girls play with dolls.

I had a toy box and one day I noticed there was a small footprint on the inside of it. I screamed; it really freaked me out as I thought the dolls had come alive when I was asleep or something. Don't know where the footprint came from. IFrom the size it was either big doll or my footprint from sometime before noticing it. I used to like getting into boxes and waldrobes so maybe one time I left a footprint if I got inside the toy box.

I still dress Bearsac and take him everywhere as seen on his website.

Last edited by Bearsac-Debra on 17 Feb 2006, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2006, 6:53 pm

I still play with dolls. And i play make believe. Although my friends have different names for these activites now. Roleplaying and such.

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2006, 2:03 pm

Mostly I played with my Tonka trucks or read, but when my horse phase hit I used to play with my toy horses in a nurturing way, brushing them, feeding them, cleaning out their stalls, taking them out for exercise and such.

bunny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2006, 11:58 am

I thought dolls were silly. I didn't understand why girls would rather do that than play chess or some other board game. Luckily, I had friends who also thought the same. I mean what's the point of dolls...they don't really have a use. I suppose they are made to look nice and for 'role playing', but they never interested me.

Astreja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2006, 4:33 am

People insisted upon giving me dolls, but I never liked them much and didn't seek them out as something to play with.

When I was very young I had a rather large "walking" doll. I vaguely remember covering it in mailing stickers that said "Glass" and "Fragile", and putting it in my bedroom cupboard.

And when someone gave me a baby doll a few years later, it quickly developed a punk haircut when I introduced it to a pair of scissors.

The third and final incident was a holiday gift exchange in grade 5 or 6, when someone gave me a no-name Barbie clone. Didn't bother buying it any outfits or really playing with it, and I think I finally gave it to a doll-collecting friend.

Ironically, I've always loved stuffed toys. There are at least a hundred of them distributed through my house (In this room alone: A prairie dog; fourteen penguins; a rabbit; a dragon; a mouse; Miss Piggy; and Beaker.)

Miss_Bluesky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2006, 9:34 am

Oh yes. I had lots of Action Men, and spent my days happily making them kill each other, fall in crocodile infested swamps, kill each other, go to the moon, kill each other, climb furniture, kill each other....
All of which would be slightly more normal if I was a guy ;)

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2006, 5:33 pm

I definitely played with Barbie dolls, brushing their hair and dressing them up. I also played with other dolls, pretending they were real. I also played softball with the neighborhood kids, and did other tomboyish stuff.