Page 9 of 12 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

Mar1976 wrote:
Why men in relationships feel the need to bi*ch about their girlfriends/wives when in the company of 'the lads'?

Putting them down, saying they're fat/ugly, a nagger etc.......generally giving the impression they'd really rather not be with that person.......and yet they aren't exactly Adonis' themselves. Also, almost comparing how bad they've got it with their "Missus".

This is a generalisation of course, but it's something I hear often at my office: a male dominant environment with many loud individuals......they'd probably put it down as banter, but I wonder how much truth there is to it, or is it a reflection of a perpetual peter pan syndrome in men (batchelors forever!)?

I have had the opposite experience. Most guys I know think their female partners are the model type, greatest person ever in bed, greatest most understanding loving person ever or all three. But they will "joke" about their partners spending/shopping habits.

But guys talking with each other are usually cruel and sexist talking about specific women who are not their partners.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 12:43 pm

Why is it so easy for guys to say they love their vehicle, their pets, their favorite food or beverage but it's so hard for them to say "I love you" to their wife or girlfriend? Or even their kids? Is it really that unnatural for them to show affection to the most important people in their lives? According to an episode of That 70's Show it is only acceptable for men to say "I love you" when they're really drunk or their wife is about to kill them. And usually those two things happen in that order. :lol:

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 4:58 pm

1) Because love of food or cars and love of women or children are very different things.
2) Because food and cars cannot understand the sentiment being expressed about them.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 6:46 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Why is it so easy for guys to say they love their vehicle, their pets, their favorite food or beverage but it's so hard for them to say "I love you" to their wife or girlfriend? Or even their kids? Is it really that unnatural for them to show affection to the most important people in their lives?

Actually I'm female and exactly like that myself. It's so hard to say! Very awkward. Don't have any partner or children but I have parents I love and can't tell. The last time I did was 3 years ago when I was in a very chaotic state of mind.
I don't see much point to it either. If you've said it once, then it's valid and ongoing, unless it's obvious it's not (like you don't love your partner after breaking up with them).

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:25 pm

I don't understand why every man always thinks that any woman he is interested in 'wants him'. and all the ones that he is not interested in too. Like, they tell themselves and their friends sometimes that the woman wants him even when it is patently obvious to everyone else that she does not want him, will never want him and would prefer the reality in which he didn't actually exist at all.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:30 pm

Every man? Really?

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:59 pm

octobertiger wrote:
Every man? Really?

ok, not gay ones, you got me there

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:00 pm

:lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 3:58 pm

My brother is so weird sometimes that I wonder why I was diagnosed with Asperger's and not him. Like last winter he made a New year's resolution never to use acronyms on or offline. When my mother told me this I asked, "So does that mean that if he went scuba diving he'd call it Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus diving?" he managed to keep the resolution for several months at least. (Also, it's kind of embarrassing that the reason I know what scuba stands for is from an episode of Family Ties) Gee, there's a lot of places and things with acronyms that have been around for ages and I doubt most people know what they stand for. YMCA, NASA, NASCAR, the 4H Club (In a skit on You Can't Do That on Television they thought it stood for Heart, Happiness, Health and... Hogs). But I've digressed. My brother is weirder than most guys and usually not in stereotypical male ways. But I love him. :)

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2013, 4:24 pm

I will never understand why men have higher sex drives than women. Most of us women on here feel asexual.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 5:28 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
My brother is so weird sometimes that I wonder why I was diagnosed with Asperger's and not him. Like last winter he made a New year's resolution never to use acronyms on or offline. When my mother told me this I asked, "So does that mean that if he went scuba diving he'd call it Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus diving?" he managed to keep the resolution for several months at least. (Also, it's kind of embarrassing that the reason I know what scuba stands for is from an episode of Family Ties)

That's how I came to know it too! That was a fun show.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 5:37 am

peaceloveerin wrote:
I will never understand why men have higher sex drives than women. Most of us women on here feel asexual.

May sound simplistic, but testosterone has an awful lot to do with it. And there are a lot of exceptions to your rule.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 7:09 am

peaceloveerin wrote:

In my case, my GF (I'm male of course) has a FAR higher sex drive than me. She had to practically beg me for sex recently because it's not that big of a deal to me and never was. In general do have to agree though: I still cannot figure out why men (not just high school and university age) are so obsessed with sex. It's literally all they ever talk about other than sports and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

As a child, I preferred the company of girls over boys and you can imagine what that did to my popularity. I swear I must have been a female in a past life because I felt more comfortable around girls in my early years although the feeling wasn't mutual. Today, I'm much more of a typical male though ranting and raving about how women are crazy yet I still have a low sex drive.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 6:51 pm

FMX wrote:
1) Because love of food or cars and love of women or children are very different things.
2) Because food and cars cannot understand the sentiment being expressed about them.

And because if you express love for your food or car, there's no risk of it rejecting you and hurting you.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 12:42 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
She had to practically beg me for sex recently because it's not that big of a deal to me and never was.

Oh, wow! Is she an aspie, too? I'm struggling to even imagine how a woman would beg for sex. I mean, what words does one use for that without sounding lame and desperate - like guys do when they beg for sex? Or is that not a problem for females? :)

To hear most guys with GFs talk about it, they'd be really happy if their GF so much as made it clear that she wants sex (as opposed to subtly hinting at it).

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 12:47 am

FMX wrote:
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
She had to practically beg me for sex recently because it's not that big of a deal to me and never was.

Oh, wow! Is she an aspie, too? I'm struggling to even imagine how a woman would beg for sex. I mean, what words does one use for that without sounding lame and desperate - like guys do when they beg for sex? Or is that not a problem for females? :)

To hear most guys with GFs talk about it, they'd be really happy if their GF so much as made it clear that she wants sex (as opposed to subtly hinting at it).

Well, I did not mean it literally its more like the indirect, naggy way we men don't understand but yes she was complaining tonight about the lack of sex. I thought she was a fellow Aspie but apparently I was wrong. I now suspect shes Borderline which has a fair bit of overlap with female Aspergers.