Female characters with Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 4 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

leojewels91
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Nov 2013, 6:07 pm

Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice,
Yomiko Readman from read or die.,
Olive Doyle from ANT Farm
Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter
Mia Thermopolis from Princess Diaries and :)
Harriet from Harriet the Spy

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2013, 7:45 am

The only female character with Asperger's I got is Sonya Cross from The Bridge.

WaraFujiAng
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2013, 5:40 am

Hagu from "Honey and Clover"

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 4:53 pm

I love this topic! :D I read all replies and this is what I think:

Agreed
Temperance Brennan from Bones ( :heart: :heart: :heart:) - pretty obvious
Amy from TBBT - very likely

Disagreed if you suggested those ones please elaborate
Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter - typical INFP
Mia Thermopolis from Princess Diaries - I don't see any autistic traits on her. at all.
Kana from Inuyasha - I am a huge fan of inuyasha. I don't think Kana has aspergers, but acts like this because she's not human.
Buffy's Anya demon - same as Kana. She doesn't understand human dynamics because she's not human.
(note: it's very common doing this to demons, aliens, monsters etc that have to pass as humans; they don't understand human dynamics and usually create comic situations acting weird. Very common indeed. See Ax from Animorphs as a great example)
Bernadette from TBBT - I don't think so. She is normally nerdy. If we can say nerds are normal :lol: (just kidding of course)
Velma from Scooby Doo - same as Bernadette.

Doubts

physicsnut42 wrote:
I think Katsa from Graceling and Arya from the Eragon books are the only 2 I know.

Really?? Arya from Eragon? What trait does she have? I don't see anything. For me she is a typical elf.

Quote:
I forgot: Remedios the Beauty from 100 Years of Solitude.

Hey I love this book but I never actually noticed aspie traits on Remédios. Can you give me some examples?

Quote:
Elizabeth Bennett, Pride and Prejudice.

Elizabeth?? I love this book too but I never noticed. Can you explain it better?
Quote:
I think Annie Cresta from The Hunger Games has autism, and her symptoms got worse after the Games because of the PTSD associated
How did you come to this conclusion? She barely appears.

I didn't comment on the ones I don't know!! About the animes and games I think they just like to create weird characters in general, just weird no aspie traits like repetitive behavior, sensory processing issues etc

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 11:33 pm

Dina from It's Walky! and Dumbing of Age.

It's Walky and Dumbing of Age are webcomics by David Willis. I love his webcomics.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm

Tomoko from Wotamote!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 1:41 pm

Well, as far as anime goes, Tomoko from Watamote and Ed from Cowboy Bebop definitely have a lot of aspie traits.

I also just finished reading this book called Lisa and the Lacemaker about a little girl with Asperger's. It's a pretty cute story, the main character reminded me a lot of how I acted when I was younger.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 2:43 pm

8O

Lillikoi wrote:
Well, as far as anime goes, Tomoko from Watamote and Ed from Cowboy Bebop definitely have a lot of aspie traits.

I also just finished reading this book called Lisa and the Lacemaker about a little girl with Asperger's. It's a pretty cute story, the main character reminded me a lot of how I acted when I was younger.

Can you give some examples of Tomoko's aspie traits?
Also, do you know why this anime is considered shounen?

ADDED: I got curious because lots of people here are talking about tomoko so I just watched watamote's first episode. This is what I noticed that may be related to her aspergers (in the order the situations appeared):
- she says it took the boy to take the rubber 1/6 of the time it takes her
- she asks her brother if she is pretty, he answers average, then she asks: 'average how much? one above average, one below average, average average?'
- she jumps while walking on the streets because she managed to have a 'natural conversation'
- she wanted to spend some minutes on the book shop. when she gets out it's already night so she says to herself: 'I ended up reading 20 chapters hope it didn't take that long'
- the part when she is planning her escape from Mcdonalds
- in the end when she is sort of rocking on the playground

Even though her major issues seem to be low self-steem and anxiety

second episode:
- she thinks to herself: 'I should not have done something I am not used to'
- she thinks about the school trip and start thinking about lots of things like 'barbecue, talking to people, travel, choosing seats, boys...' and freaks out
- repeating words (this is rather common in anime but okay)
- twisting fingers
- moving in circles on her computer chair
- when she goes to meet her friend she uses tomboyish comfortable clothes
- then she talks nonstop about her analysis on anime (seems to be an interest)

it bothers me her imagined sexual dialogues are about men satisfaction or rape or submission 8O and her lesbian impriting may be targeted for male audience but anyway I like the fact that they deal with female masturbation and female sexuality.

ps. they made a parody of mimi wo sumaseba (:heart:) I liked it
partial conclusion : I agree with you guys I think she is likely an aspie
Hope you liked this superficial analysis I think those examples are interesting. But maybe I am just talking too much and being annoying I don't know.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 7:16 pm

What about Leonard's mom from TBBT?

LMH
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2014, 11:38 am

Most definitely Abby from NCIS, also Ziva too; Mrs Hofstaeder from TBBT, and Amy Farrah Fowler. Also maybe Hay-Lin from W.I.T.C.H, as she's got that quirkiness to her. Same with Bridget/Lettuce from Tokyo Mew Mew.
I can't remember her name, but in the Las Vegas CSI, the woman with the red hair might have something like autism, but I can't properly tell.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm

LMH wrote:
Most definitely Abby from NCIS, also Ziva too; Mrs Hofstaeder from TBBT, and Amy Farrah Fowler. Also maybe Hay-Lin from W.I.T.C.H, as she's got that quirkiness to her. Same with Bridget/Lettuce from Tokyo Mew Mew.
I can't remember her name, but in the Las Vegas CSI, the woman with the red hair might have something like autism, but I can't properly tell.

why Hay Lin? Can you give me some examples?

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 10:50 am

A little off topic, but watamote ended up being handy. If Tomoko would just stop wasting her time on computer games and blaming everyone for acting normal and tried to make some friends she wouldn't be a misfit. I have seen this "it's your fault I'm not popular" attitude here in WP. Many aspies lock themselves in their rooms or comfort zones and expect everyone else to adjust to their behavior, and then complain they are lonely and depressed and that it's other people's lack of understanding to blame.

firewhiskey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2014, 10:53 pm

I can think of a lot.

Lisbeth Salander for sure. I haven't seen the movies but I've read the books. Her character is a perfect description of my personality and what I would do in similar circumstances. Reading the books was eerie because it was like she was in my head acting out my thoughts.

Remedios the Beauty is definitely another one, as are Luna Lovegood and Amelie. Professor McGonagall. Salamanca from walk two moons (a children's book). the protagonist from Island of the Blue Dolphins.

Annie Cresta from the Hunger Games. Also Wiress and Beetee. Katniss? Maybe. I'm not sure I can see an nt being as consistently single-minded as she is or being as willing to challenge established authority. Also, she gets along with the more obvious aspies while other characters don't, which is significant. Not that nts never try to challenge authority, but she does it in a way that makes me think the various power structures and imbalances in her society just isn't important to her outside of its ability to cause her problems. Social designations don't matter to her and she is aware that they are totally arbitrary. You can see that she mentally places herself on the same level as everyone else, and that's very unusual for an nt.

Cassie Ainsworth from Skins UK.

Mattie from true grit (the little girl in the most recent adaptation). And this isn't a female protagonist, but Shevek from the Dispossessed.

I haven't read the books or seen the movies, but I saw the previews for Divergent while seeing a different movie and kind of got the impression that it was a good allegory for neurodivergence, although probably not an intentional one. Society suppresses those who think differently and who cannot be fooled by or controlled by things that "normal" people can (ie the test given to all young adults), because we have the potential to disrupt hegemonic power structures by virtue of standing outside them. People who can see that the emperor is lying about wearing clothes pose a threat to the emperor's unquestioned power.

I'm sure I'll be back with more...

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 4:20 am

firewhiskey wrote:

Remedios the Beauty is definitely another one, as are Luna Lovegood and Amelie. Professor McGonagall.

everyone is ignoring me so far but I really want to discuss the characters! :)
why do you think those are aspies? Can you explain? For me Luna is a typical INFP, and I don't see any aspie traits in MCGonagall and Amelie.
Quote:
Annie Cresta from the Hunger Games. Also Wiress and Beetee. Katniss? Maybe. I'm not sure I can see an nt being as consistently single-minded as she is or being as willing to challenge established authority. Also, she gets along with the more obvious aspies while other characters don't, which is significant. Not that nts never try to challenge authority, but she does it in a way that makes me think the various power structures and imbalances in her society just isn't important to her outside of its ability to cause her problems. Social designations don't matter to her and she is aware that they are totally arbitrary. You can see that she mentally places herself on the same level as everyone else, and that's very unusual for an nt.

how do you know about Annie crests? She barely appears. And when they do talk about her seems like pos traumatic disorder.
wiress and beetee also don't show any aspie traits, I think they are just weird.
well, katniss challenges authority and is single-minded but those characteristics are not a necessary or sufficient condition for asperger. And she actually doesn't go well along with betee and wiress, but rather she is mothering them; she has a strong mothering instinct which can be seen in her protecting her sister, rue.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

Screenager wrote:
Saga Noren from the Swedish/Danish crime drama called The Bridge/Bron/Broen (depending on the language). She's the most accurate aspie (including the boys) I've ever seen. I was very lucky to be an extra on season 2 of The Bridge a couple of weeks ago and was in scenes with her. I was to shy to talk to her myself, but luckily somebody told her that I had Aspergers (since I wrote it in my application) and she came up and talked to me! Asked me about my school, special interest etc. It was so amazing and I think I personally taught her a thing or 2 about AS, since she's very different from her character IRL.

But I recommend The Bridge to EVERYONE. The series is not about her autism but it adds a new level to it's whole. And don't worry you can find it with English subtitles ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FcxzlXbKs (she's the blonde)

Yeah, I totally love that show. I watched it and wondered if that is how I come over at work. I'm very efficient and I can be very to the point when talking to people. Thanks for sharing your experience from being on the set with Sofia Helin with us.

351Boss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2014, 7:33 am

Lydia from the sci-fi book Fourth Reality.