Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 4:07 pm

Does anyone know any symptoms? I think I may have it.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 5:12 pm

apparently:

They often avoid a range of social and public situations in order to prevent themselves feeling uncomfortable. Alternatively they may enter such situations but remain very anxious and self-conscious. They may monitor and camouflage themselves excessively to hide their perceived defect by using heavy make-up, brushing their hair in a particular way, growing a beard, changing their posture, or wearing particular clothes or for example a hat. Sufferers feel compelled to repeat certain time consuming rituals such as:
-Checking their appearance either directly or in a reflective surface (for example mirrors, CDs, shop windows)
-Excessive grooming, by removing or cutting hair or combing
-Picking their skin to make it smooth
-Comparing themselves against models in magazines or television
-Dieting and excessive exercise or weight lifting
Such behaviours usually make the preoccupation worse and exacerbate depression and self-disgust. This can often lead to periods of avoidance such as covering mirrors or removing them altogether.

maybe i have it too:/

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 5:16 pm

Ooh, I found a better list on Wiki:

Common symptoms of BDD include:
-Obsessive thoughts about (a) perceived appearance defect(s).
-Obsessive and compulsive behaviors related to (a) perceived appearance defect(s) (see section below).
-Major depressive disorder symptoms.
-Delusional thoughts and beliefs related to (a) perceived appearance defect(s).
-Social and family withdrawal, social phobia, loneliness and self-imposed social isolation.
-Suicidal ideation.
-Anxiety; possible panic attacks.
-Chronic low self-esteem.
-Feeling self-conscious in social environments; thinking that others notice and mock their perceived defect(s).
-Strong feelings of shame.
-Avoidant personality: avoiding leaving the home, or only leaving the home at certain times, for example, at night.
-Dependent personality: dependence on others, such as a partner, friend or family.
-Inability to work or an inability to focus at work due to preoccupation with appearance.
-Decreased academic performance (problems maintaining grades, problems with school/college attendance).
-Problems initiating and maintaining relationships (both intimate relationships and friendships).
-Alcohol and/or drug abuse (often an attempt to self-medicate).
-Repetitive behavior (such as constantly (and heavily) applying make-up; regularly checking appearance in mirrors; see section below for more associated behavior).
-Seeing slightly varying image of self upon each instance of observing a mirror or reflective surface.
-Perfectionism (undergoing cosmetic surgery and behaviours such as excessive moisturising and exercising with an aim to create an unattainable but ideal body and reduce anxiety.
-Note: any kind of body modification may change one's appearance. There are many types of body modification that do not include surgery/cosmetic surgery. Body modification (or related behavior) may seem compulsive, repetitive, or focused on one or more areas or features that the individual perceives to be defective

Wow