Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you think clothes shopping is boring?
Yes I do! 64%  64%  [ 70 ]
Sometimes, not all the time 25%  25%  [ 27 ]
No, not really 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 109

Deber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2010, 3:50 pm

Being in a public place like a mall or department store totally exhausts me. I shop for others on-line. When I need clothes I buy used.
I don't like to shop and avoid malls and department stores as much as possible. I can't handle the loud music, crowds, fragrances, and fluorescent lighting. There is too much visual stimulation and I feel overwhelmed. The shoe department really smells horrid, like plastic and rubber and gives me an instant headache. I can't go within 50 ft of a fragrance counter without getting ill. Now that it is the holiday season there are crowds everywhere and I don't do well with crowds of people.
When I was younger I tried to be enthusiastic about shopping with friends but I didn't fit in and I really hated doing it. I have never worn fashionable clothes and my friends would try and get me to try on clothes that I didn't like and then tell me how great they looked on me. I don't really care how I look and only wear what is comfortable, like 100% cotton, silk or other natural fabrics that breathe. Nothing scratchy. I cut out all tags and wear a lot of clothing inside out to avoid the seams. I wear the same item till it is ragged and has holes. Thank goodness none of my jobs required me to dress up.
I love shopping in book stores if they aren't crowded but the smell of new books and especially magazines makes me sick. I mostly use the library but when I buy used books I have to be careful they don't have mold and if I buy a book on-line I need to let the book air out for a few days before I read it.
I only shop at used clothing stores and have found a couple close to where I live that sell nice things that have been laundered. Not like Goodwill where the store stinks and they sell dirty, crusty clothes. I have to make sure that the used clothes I buy do not have a fabric softener smell. It is so hard to get out of clothes. Count me in the I don't like to shop category.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

25 Dec 2010, 1:57 am

I have absolutely no interest in clothes.
A lot of that is a result of my feminist tendencies.
I fail to see why I should waste massive amounts of time, money, and energy on fifteen-eleven-dozen coordinated outfits because women are "supposed to" look a certain way.

That and my absolutely massive ass makes it hard to find anything that fits.

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2010, 1:00 am

I hate shopping in general. ONLY when shopping for fandom things am I alright with prolonged shopping, and even then I prefer to just do it online.

For the most part I like to buy clothes online. I prefer to just buy shirts offline. I'll go clothes shopping only when I have to.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 11:32 am

Of course not! I love to shop! That is, if I have money...

Though hunting for treasures in second hand stores are much more fun...

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 11:33 am

i always spend too much when i go shopping alone. >.<

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2010, 11:38 am

I just hate clothes shopping with other people. They just get in the way and try to give their opinions. I don't care what other people think about the clothes I'm thinking about buying because it's none of their business what I wear. Plus it takes a lot longer if you're shopping with someone who is also looking for clothes to buy because they have to try on everything.

Bibers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Dec 2010, 12:38 am

I've never liked shopping. Clothes, make-up, shoes, hair stuff...none of it. I'm a very practical person so I see no point in wasting my time, effort, and money. I usually find something I like and keep buying it or something like it when it wears out. My friends also drop off clothes they don't want any more in an effort to 'girl me up', so I get a new wardrobe every few years that way.

I have no problem with people who like doing those things. I do have a problem with the fact that they want me to participate, try to trick me into participating (oh I'm just going to step into this store real quick on the way to lunch!), and judge me/make excuses for me for not participating. I understand that they think it's a bonding activity or something, but I don't want to participate. It doesn't mean I have anything against doing things together, but I resent the implication that I'm supposed to be the one who should do things I don't want to do for their enjoyment. They generally don't bother to reciprocate...I should just change or 'learn to like it.'

I'm in my 30s. It's unlikely that I'll learn to like it at this point ;)

I do like shopping for books, games, etc. Sometimes I even like going in to stores to shop for those things. I like going to craft stores, too. Why doesn't anyone want to do that?

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 2:11 am

Bibers wrote:
I do like shopping for books, games, etc. Sometimes I even like going in to stores to shop for those things. I like going to craft stores, too. Why doesn't anyone want to do that?

I feel the same way. :) You can actually find interesting stuff at those places.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

quesonrias
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2011, 9:31 pm

Oh my goodness, yes! I thought I was the only woman on earth who did...lol

I don't mind going when I need something, like a shirt, a pair of pants, a pair of shoes...but I refuse to go shopping for an entire wardrobe or even for just for the sake of doing so (oh the horrors). I avoid malls as much as possible. Actually I haven't been in a mall in several years...

Now if I go shopping for something that I love collecting, I will wander for hours and hours :D

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
RAADS-R: 187.0
Language: 15.0 • Social Relatedness: 81.0 • Sensory/Motor: 52.0 • Circumscribed Interests: 40.0

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 165 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

EmirDynamite
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Jan 2011, 3:16 am

I used to hate it until I "grew up" and discovered I could do all my shopping at second hand stores (the Goodwill and such). The clothes there are a lot more fun, and searching through the racks is a great excuse to touch a whole lot of diffrent materials. Plus, they're cheaper! Sometimes my sister comes with me, but that's easy because we just browse on our own and meet up when we're done. I don't like the idea of shopping as a social activity.

Bra shopping, however, is the worst EVER.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 1:25 am

EmirDynamite wrote:
I used to hate it until I "grew up" and discovered I could do all my shopping at second hand stores (the Goodwill and such). The clothes there are a lot more fun, and searching through the racks is a great excuse to touch a whole lot of diffrent materials. Plus, they're cheaper! Sometimes my sister comes with me, but that's easy because we just browse on our own and meet up when we're done. I don't like the idea of shopping as a social activity.

Bra shopping, however, is the worst EVER.

Hmm...good idea. There's a Goodwill and other secondhand stores in my town--I should give those a try (by myself or MAYBE with one other person--definitely NOT a "social activity," as you put it).

Regarding bra shopping--*sudden flashback to buying my first training bras with my mom at age 10--shudder*.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 7:35 pm

I don't consider shopping boring. It can be overwhelming and frustrating because it can be difficult for me to make choices if there's no clothing that's perfect. I've watched a lot of television shows and read a lot of articles to try to understand what I should be wearing for my body and style. I have a style but I'm pathetic at communicating it in what I wear. But it can be so frustrating to face dozens upon dozens of clothing and NONE OF THEM seem perfect to what I want according to my list of guidelines for what I should wear.

I hate trying on clothes in a dressing room and I hate spending money. Those things also make the shopping experience negative.

But when prices aren't bad (like during some kind of big sale), I know how something will fit by looking at it, and it fits into the guidelines, I can actually enjoy shopping.

Shoe shopping is more enjoyable to me.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 5:20 pm

I find it stressful. It's like a stressful chore that I have to waste all this time doing that I could be devoting to study or other more productive pursuits.

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2011, 1:19 am

Generally speaking, yes. I can shop for a little while but it gets tedious pretty easily. I HATE dealing with busy fitting rooms. Or, you kinda want to try something on and you are locked out but there's no sales girl for a mile. I once ended up working at a trendy clothing store for women's apparel out of financial desperation....it was not a positive experience and I got fired after a month. Blah.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Jan 2011, 2:56 am

I like buying clothes, although I don't like spending a long time picking them out. I get overloaded easily in stores and that goes double when other people come into my personal space. I hate fitting rooms, even though skipping that stage is always a mistake. I hate trying to find clothes that will fit. So really, it's the idea of shopping that I like, but the reality not so much.

I hate going shopping with other people because of the personal space thing, and because of being on someone else's schedule (especially since I do not drive). Or going to stores that I am painfully uninterested in.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2011, 2:57 am

This does seem to be a trend among our kind, though I for one adore op shopping and style hunting. My wardrobe has sadly dwindled as vintage fashion has risen in popularity (all the good stuff is taken), but I keep trying! I just wish bright colours would stay in season - when the only options are dusty pink and variations of beige it really does make shopping a bore. I'm buying things online more and more these days.

In response to some of the posts here, I dress up because I enjoy it and not for the benefit of others, or because it is expected of me. I like the feel of bouncy, swishy dresses, the clickety clack of new shoes, and the jingle jangle of jewelery!