Page 2 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

mox wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:
i like the way americans call bags purses. what do you call actual purses?

from dictionary.reference.com:

purse
   /pɜrs/ Show Spelled [purs] Show IPA noun, verb, pursed, purs·ing.
–noun
1. a woman's handbag or pocketbook.
2. a small bag, pouch, or case for carrying money.

I guess I don't know what you mean by "actual purse".

well...in england we call them handbags/bags and 'purses' are just the little things you keep money in. it's our language so I shall assume we get the right of way(:
So what do you call a purse? do you just call them both a purse? doesnt that get confusing....

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

I always have a handbag that has my things in it. I always get one with long enough straps to comfortably wear. I can not do those glam handleless bags those ie a clutch purse, as it is highly likely I will lose it or leave it somewhere. I cannot have a bag with short handles either. Handbags must be worn.

Taking a break.

werewolf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2011, 1:54 pm

I hate small feminine bags (recent few years and along with everything feminine). Usually my big messenger-like-bag or backpack is kind of full of things, but even with few I do not want to replace it with smaller. And I love pockets, but even the cargopants suffice only for going out at night. So many things I want to have with me for unexpected occasions.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
I prefer carrying a camera bag, but then that's just me. I never ever ever sit it down or forget it. I have however walked away without my purse on a few occasions. Never cared much for purses when I was younger either...it always felt awkward to me. There are some things that I must carry with me like my keys, drivers license, etc. I just stick that stuff inside my camera bag.

is it a vintage bag? my daughter saw i have a camera bag from the 1970s and she said it is very trendy, like the ones at a store Urban Something-or-other. i thought about carrying it around instead of a purse.

for me, i carry a messenger bag or a purse, but always with a long strap so i am wearing it and i can't put it down and lose it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 2:11 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
mox wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:

purse
–noun

well...in england we call them handbags/bags and 'purses' are just the little things you keep money in. it's our language so I shall assume we get the right of way(:
So what do you call a purse? do you just call them both a purse? doesnt that get confusing....

changepurse

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

I carry a small purse as I'm not a fan of the ginormous ones. My mom and family keep buying purses for me so I have all the extra ones that I don't really need. I'd prefer to have only one for spring/summer and another for fall/winter and that's it. Oh, and heavy purses are good for smacking people. ^.^

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:22 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:
mox wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:

purse
–noun

changepurse

So the bill comes at a restaurant and you say 'let me get my changepurse'? this never happens in the movies.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:36 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
So the bill comes at a restaurant and you say 'let me get my changepurse'? this never happens in the movies.

it might be old school, like my generation and my parent's generation, or maybe it's canadian lol. but yeah, we call the little purses "changepurses" (occasionally "coin purses").

or... if it's a wallet with an attached change pocket we just call it a wallet.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:48 pm

ahh wallet, that's probably the one I was looking for. here a wallet is what a man uses and women use purses.
I can sleep easy now

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 12:20 am

I usually carry a little green leather change purse for a few bills and cards. I just put it in my pocket and go. When I have to go places and have to wait, like a doctor's office, I bring my little camo backpack. I have it filled with necessities and things to amuse myself.

Deber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2011, 6:23 pm

I have this need to always be prepared so I usually carry a backpack or a messenger bag. There are many things I feel compelled to have with me. In the past I've left purses hanging on chairs, tucked under tables, etc. so now I use something huge that is much harder to misplace. I ride public transportation a lot and sometimes have to stand in a crowded bus or light rail. When I am in a place I consider unsafe I put little locks on the pockets of my backpack that contain my wallet, phone, etc. I haven't lost anything since I started using the locks. Many years ago I found this cool travel purse that is made out of strong material that washes easily and has yet to get a hole in it. A travel company sold it. Kinda ugly but very useful. I've traveled a lot with it. It has a very long strap that I can wear across my chest and even better, the purse has these little pockets where waist straps are tucked in - when you take the straps out you have the ability to transform the purse into a fanny pack. I've heard some countries don't like that term so maybe I should say waist pack. When I'm in a hectic place that has potential pick pockets or purse thieves I wear this purse with the strap over my chest and the waist strap synched around me, plus use my little locks. I've met people who have lost their fanny packs stolen in a crowd, unclip from the back, grab and run. I don't want that to happen to me so I like the extra chest strap. I haven't misplaced a backpack or purse for years but have problems with my phone. I try to put it back in whatever I am using that day but sometimes it gets away from me. I stop at the door and go through a list of the things I need before I leave. Most of the time I get out the door, remember something and have to go back. Family joke. No one gets in the car until I have gone back at least once. They hate it when I remember something after we are on the road. I've been trying to put a list taped to the door to help me remember everything.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 6:27 pm

I have a slight obsession with purses. I carry one when I need more than my chain wallet, but that's rare. I really do have too many purses, though.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 6:28 pm

I usually carry things in my pockets (same reason - not wanting to lose my possessions), but most of the time I need to have a computer with me so I carry this really big laptop backpack. It is kind of hard to lose it or forget it somewhere as you get used to carrying those 10 extra pounds on your back.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

I was adamantly against purses as a teen--rebelling against typical female stuff. However, I've learned that they are wonderfully convenient things and now carry one wherever I go (of course, most of my clothes don't have pockets or only have very small ones, so I'd need to carry one, anyway, if I wanted to have a wallet on me). Some of them I even think look nice, though that's pretty rare; generally I think people have terrible taste. But I am not interested in purses and only ever own one. I do think the massive "purses" a lot of women carry around these days are completely ridiculous. Do they really need to carry around a bag as large as a backpack?

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 5:10 am

OneStepBeyond wrote:

I think in the US, they call the money-holders used by both men and women 'wallets', while here (are you in the UK too?) 'wallet' refers more to the kind used by men, while a woman's is a 'purse'.

Conventional womens' handbags/purses are far too small and no use to me. I carry a large holdall type for my all stuff.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 7:22 am

Hovis wrote:
(are you in the UK too?)

i am

what an awesome username:)