Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 8:44 am

I prefer tight-fitting clothes except for tight around my neck. I feel warm and secure in those. I'm demanding concerning the material though - the fabric should be as much natural as possible (I hate nylon tights!) and not too thin.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 9:12 am

I feel most comfortable in nothing at all, but around the house I wear loose clothing -- yoga pants or track pants and oversized t-shirts. When I go out, I prefer long, loose dresses or skirts. I think dresses and skirts of any length are way more comfortable than pants. The biggest problem I have with pants is that if they fit my thighs and butt, they are ridiculously loose around the waist and hips and slide down and show my panties, even my lowest-cut pairs. If I try to belt them tightly so they fit around my hips, the material gets bunched up and the belt slides up above the waistband. That's really uncomfortable. For that reason, I prefer skinny jeans as they fit more closely over my hips and don't slide down as much. I also like to wear tight tops sometimes, but only if they are made of a stretchy material. Old Navy makes cute tank tops that fit that way, same with Anne Taylor camisoles. In terms of t-shirts, I like to wear a boy's large -- they are long enough in the torso that I'm not showing off a "skin belt" and they tend to be made of soft, stretchy cotton or cotton blends. My favorite is my Sex-Bob-Oms t-shirt because it is long enough to reach the waistband on my jeans (I wear low jeans, can't stand anything tight around my waist), it is soft, and very geeky. I don't wear t-shirts that often, though; I like flowing blouses and tank-tops better.

Guilted_Lady
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

Anyone else have issues showing their leg? I can't wear dresses without wearing tights underneath. I'm just self conscious about it.

?Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.?

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 2:01 pm

peacerunner wrote:
Whenever I go to buy a bra they come out of nowhere and measure me right in the store. They always tell me I am a 32B. I have worn a 36B forever. They don't stock that size so I have to buy it at their online store. They actually ARGUE with me and try to make me try a 32 so I usually do it just because in conflict i can be passive since I dont now how to make them leave me alone. The 36 is so comfy.

I suggest you level with them next time. They're the ones with the measuring tape and the sales jobs. You're the one with the comfort level and the money. Tell them they are right that you are exactly the size as measured but explain that you have sensory issues that make wearing the appropriate size uncomfortable to the point of distraction, as they might feel if they were wearing a size that was far too small. You have found your comfort at a 36" so that is what you buy. End of discussion.

I like to wear unmentionables that I can feel. If I cannot feel their place on my skin, I begin to worry that they have moved somewhere they ought not to be. Generally, I prefer fitted clothes that are right for my body. I have boobs and, while I don't like them out for everyone to enjoy, I do prefer that they look nice (by my standards) covered by my shirt. My mother had intense body image issues that she tried all her life to project on to me. It worked for a while but I didn't have her experiences so I felt awesome every time I wore clothes that were fitted. When she bought me clothes I was a size Small swimming in X-Larges and all the pants, including the denim jeans, had elastic waistbands.

There was a time when I did have body issues enough to oversize my clothes. I didn't just wear oversized but also men's clothing. That was during the abusive marriage. I made myself into a shapeless blob because that's the way I was being treated so that was how I felt. When I started having the affair that reminded me I was human, one of the favors he did was point out that I was wearing very unflattering clothes and would look really hot in something in my size made for women. It was a crazy idea but I went wild and bought a fitted outfit and... he was right! My ex-husband disagreed vehemently that I looked good but the damage had already been done. I already saw that I was a hottie. So that wasn't about sensory issues and comfort but about a situation that I should not have been in that totally warped my perception.

As I said in another thread, as my age goes up, my skirt hemline goes down. I used to wear short skirts, even to work, but I'm not in my twenties anymore. I like wearing free-flowing type skirts (the kind that swish when you move) that come just above the knee. My tops are still fitted but I show less cleavage. Like Guilted_Lady, I need tights or stockings/hosiery to wear a skirt... the only time I don't is when I'm wearing my cowboy boots. And I have the paranoia the entire time I'm wearing the hosiery, hoping that it all stays where it's supposed to stay!

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

First off, I'm not a girly-girl, & I don't like frilly/lacey/frou frou clothes. I don't like form fitting or super loose clothing. I usually wear stuff that falls right in between. I'll wear tank tops, t-shirts, blouses, etc, but they can't itch or bind. I hate labels that scratch & itch, & do my best to find garments either with stamped on labels or cut them out of my clothes. Same with undergarments. I despise bras, but I am not small busted so must wear one (can't stand going without). Usually it's a sports bra, I hate underwires or stiff bras where I feel uncomfortable. I also have to wear underwear that doesn't scratch or ride up (drives me crazy). I don't like to wear dresses (I have a huge gash on my knee & it's big & ugly. Little kids have always asked me about it if I wore short dresses or shorts, so I don't anymore. I wear jeans or capris when it's hot. I don't like shoes or sandals unless they don't rub or cause any weird sensations of pain or discomfort. I love Birkenstocks, flip flops, boots, cross trainer shoes, or hiking boots. Once in a great while, I'll put on a pair of strappy sandals but can't wait to get them off because they usually hurt.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Ani
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2011, 3:52 pm

I wish I was a boy! Their clothes are so much more practical, sturdy, and comfy. Plus big pockets! I am a tomboy (hiker, sailor, swimmer, camper, big-time biker outdoorsy chick who also blows glass, welds, does carpentry, uses power tools etc.) so I need to wear practical clothing all the time.

I typically wear loose clothing (like cargo pants.) Sometimes I wear tight jeans if I am doing weedwhacking or it is cold winter time and I need that skintight warm layer (on top of long johns! I live in northern washington.) Always wear tanktop and a tshirt. NEVER wear a bra unless I need a sports bra for running. I hate bras, they are so pointless unless you have larger breasts that bounce around alot and are heavy.

During summer I wear short shorts and loose tanktops. Never wear high heels, I am too tall and have bad ankles/am clumsy. 90% of the time wear my Chacos (outdoor sandals like Tevas) unless I am blowing glass, then I wear converse or vans. Also wear badass steel toed boots for hiking and doing stuff with horses. Cut out all my tags they are annoying!

I will only wear a skirt or dress for a costume event, or to a formal event like a wedding or something. Skirts are just stupid and impractical, you can't really do anything in them except walk and sit! Laaaame....

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 7:47 am

I like tracksuits, pedal pushers (3/4 length tracksuit bottoms) and any t-shirt that doesn't cause chafing. I can wear tight things as long as they are elasticated and therefore move with me and don't restrict me in any way. A lot of my t-shirts are like this. I have found shopping for fashionable but comfortable clothes a lot easier in recent years as the emphasis (especially this summer) seems to be pretty but comfortable. That for me means, nice colour, shape and maybe even an image but NO FRILLY BITS!! !

Moving onto underwear, I too buy kids underwear because my body didn't develop any further after I was 12 so I can still fit into 12 year olds stuff! I have to wear boxers, which have now been made for girls as well so I no longer have to walk sheepishly into the guys section to pick some underwear! Again these mustn't have frilly bits or I will rip them off! I personally don't care what is on my underwear because it is unlikely that anyone will ever see it other than me and maybe one day my partner but if my partner doesn't like it they can s*d off!

Bras are my worst nightmare sensory wise. I didn't wear one for many years because I was measured as a 32AA but I now wear a 34AA even though technically I should be in a 32. When I wear a 32AA it feels like it's choking me. With the 34AA I feel able to breath and move. My bra has to have padding in it (mainly to *ahem* boost my assets!) and it can't have too much (if any) frilly. Luckily I have found some cheap padded bras which are really comfortable so I bought two and rotate them.

iSpeedy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jul 2011, 5:18 pm

Clothes can make me crazy!! ! If I wear the wrong thing it can really mess up my day. Badly. Im a size C so I can't get away with just a sport bra or tank and I also need support from underwire. It drives me crazy especially by the end of the day. Like right now. I actually like my shirts a bit fitted because I don't like the swishy feeling of baggy shirts and it feels nicer like a hug feeling. But I like me pants or shorts baggy. I can't wear my hair down ever I can't stand it touching my face or neck. Any one else when their time of the month comes can't stand clothes even worse than usual? Any one else need a sturdier bra but can't stand it but still wears one?

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:34 am

iSpeedy wrote:
Any one else need a sturdier bra but can't stand it but still wears one?

Me. I wear firm bras with 28 back, it isn't overly comfortable, but still better than a bouncing rack.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:41 pm

I've just bought a pair of :evil: skinny jeans :evil: . What a disaster!! !

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:53 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
I am 25 and can where childs small!! !! (130lb. BTW)

Sizes must be different here. My 12 year old niece is 91 pounds, just less than five feet tall, and is in a child's large. She can't even pretend to fit into a small anymore, and the mediums are really snug on her now too.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:56 am

I never wear heels either. I am fat, so I don't like tight fitting clothes, but even if I wasn't fat, I still probably wouldn't wear anything form-fitting because I don't like the feel of it now and probably wouldn't then either. I don't worry about styles too much. I wear what *I* think looks good, and that is all I really care about. Underwear is cotton briefs, and that is the only kind I will wear. I am very picky when it comes to clothes.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2011, 2:18 am

I need clothes VERY loose, and have such trouble buying them. I can't go into clothing stores due to sensory issues, so I have been trying to shop online. Some of the pictures are adequate, but some don't even show you the waist of pants and so on. I don't understand why even yoga pants and activewear has to be so tight. I have found lots of so called yoga pants, the leggings are loose but the waist is almost always tighter than Fort Knox! Ha. Same with a lot of Tshirts, I can't have anything near my neck. So, needless to say, I don't buy clothes often, but would love just one comfortable pair of drawstring pants, and maybe even a nice Tie dye shirt. Haha hope springs eternal.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 5:25 am

I hated tight clothing as a kid but yet I didn't mind stretch pants. I also don't like high heels. I also do not like flip flops and I hate to go bare foot in my shoes.

I can wear some children clothes but I am 5 '7' so not all of them will fit and I have breasts so shirts may not fit me either and will look funny on me or be too tight. Some children clothes go up to a size 18 and I can fit in that. I can also wear a youth sized 20.

But I don't have too much issues with clothing. In fact I do not like it when pants are too loose on me. I don't like the loose fitting around my butt and pelvis area.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

I like my bra to fit because I don't like anything moving around too much, and my underpants fit too, but I wear layers and the only thing form fitting is the undershirt beneath my t-shirt. The rest of the layers are a little baggy but not huge. I almost always wear socks, too.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2011, 6:01 pm

Guilted_Lady wrote:
Anyone else have issues showing their leg? I can't wear dresses without wearing tights underneath. I'm just self conscious about it.

I was like that when I was younger. I think it was partly because I had stretch marks on my legs which much later in life I read can happen from hormones and growth spurts during puberty.

Now I never wear any kind of dress or skirt or shorts and prefer loose comfortable clothing.