Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 2:18 am

Aimless wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Does anyone feel the urge to immediately rub the area where someone has touched you lightly? I think it counterattacks the negative sensory effects of light touch.

Yes I usually do that its just a natural reaction when someone touches.

Do you think it's natural for everyone?

I can't be to sure if everyone does that but I'm glad its not just me.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jul 2011, 5:12 am

Yes, I don't like it, especially without warning but never knew why. Some people I know seemed to notice because they say "I'm going to hug you" to warn me first.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

In contrast, I love touching and being touched.

Isn't it funny how we're all so different and yet so alike here :)

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 4:54 am

I don't mind hugging, especially if the people are not thin or smelly. I love being hugged by clean, well padded people. Kissing is not OK, though, even from close family. I would kiss and touch others. though. My family all know that kissing and touching for me is a one-way thing. I touch them, they can't touch me. :D

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jul 2011, 3:23 pm

I dislike the enforced intimacy that touch implies. I really don't like perfect strangers kissing me, either. There is that moment of complete disgust as I feel their saliva evaporating off my skin. And I have to fight the urge to rub there. Also, I have had people hug me and leave the smell of their sweat or perfume on my clothing and there it remains until i can get home and wash and change. Like others here have said, I too have that urge to rub where someone lightly touched me, in order to stop the frenzied firing of nerve endings. Now I know why some cats will scratch you if you touch them lightly.

NUJV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2011, 11:04 am

Urgh, I hate it when people do hugs and things when saying goodbye and stuff, those light ones with just the arms! I remember having to go to my great-aunt's at Christmas years ago when I was younger, and I used to have to kiss everyone in the room goodbye. I used to dread this and a couple of times I actually refused to go because I dreaded the goodbye kisses so much. I had a great-grandfather who hated that side of the family because of their touchy-feelyness too, and he used to really like me, plus he showed some signs of AS so maybe he was an Aspie as well.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

javascript:emoticon('8O') :evil: first I am surprised in a bad way, then really angry whenever someone touches me without me knowing them and being asked first. my kids know to ask - and I of course always give them a hug when they ask.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 8:43 am

It depends on the person. For example, when I see my parents I hug them and we kiss each other on the cheek. I frequently give my husband little pecks on the forehead or cheek, and we hug when he gets home from work or one of us just needs the contact. My brother and sister also get hugs...my nephews always want hugs and kisses from everyone. I figure I better take it for now, since when they are older they are probably not going to want a hug and kiss from Aunt Rose! (They are 5, 3, and 12 months.) I never minded it when my elementary students wanted to hug me, but would never have dreamed of hugging my middle schoolers.

I have a couple friends I hug. I have on friend who insisted on hugging me from the first time we met. I hated it at first, but I adjusted and now I don't mind. I have a couple other friends whom I hug once in a while. One gives the best hugs, but I don't trust him completely so I don't hug him often. Another guy I'm willing to hug just isn't that huggy. I have two other
friends whom I hug every time we get together, but that's about it for the people I hang with.

When I meet new people, I don't even want to shake hands. I hate shaking hands! It's clear I'm not carrying a sword or dagger or other weapon, so why do I need to shake? I try to get away with a friendly little wave, but some people just feel the need to shake your hand when you meet them. I think I was 8 before I learned to shake hands properly, as my parents never made me do it. My third grade teacher taught me.

I like light touch. It's hey my husband and I tend to give affectionate pecks rather than deep sloppy French kisses. I can't stand repetitive motion for more than a few seconds. If it continues for longer than that, it feels to me as though my skin is being rubbed off! The only kind of repetitive motion I like is when my husband strokes my hair. I don't like shoulder rubs that go on on and on, although my husband sometimes gives me short ones that feel great. In general, though, I am picky about any kind of touch, including social touch.

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

I actually fine with it, probably because my family hugs and shakes hands a lot. The only touching I don't like is being hit in a certain part of my back because the feeling is mostly gone due to back surgery 7 years ago.

Xenia
Raven
Raven

16 Jul 2011, 4:19 am

I haven't let anyone apart from my husband and children touch me since I was very young.

I get the tingling if someone does touch me, it can last for hours, I didn't realise until reading this thread that that wasn't normal though.

When someone does touch me while speaking I tingle or freeze, often rub the area, I lose track of the conversation completely.

Recently someone did hug me, I froze and blanked out, fairly sure I didn't respond to them at all but have no memory of the next few minutes apart from me counting to 4 (their hand went up and down 4 times), could also feel it for many hours afterwards.

More annoyingly now that I am older I would love to hug and be haugged but I have no idea how to give or receive or even touch while speaking wihtout it seeming forced and wierd or without freezing and blanking out.

Whispering
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jul 2011, 1:35 am

I crave hugs and can't seem to get my body to settle down if I don't get enough deep pressure. (I think my youngest child is somewhat similar.)

I remember feeling like I was going to fly apart as I sat in a car with another person. Needless to say, that friendship ended because I was holding my legs as tight as I could and was doubled over.

The feeling was awful. The discussion in the car was intense as it was with someone that I really wanted to date at the time. He obviously didn't want me. I now know that I was trying to find security and safety in the situation.

I have to sleep with extra blankets for the weight. Otherwise, it feels like my body is not on the bed. Again, I don't feel safe or secure.

I also cover my head when I first fall asleep.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Jul 2011, 8:54 am

Whispering wrote:
I crave hugs and can't seem to get my body to settle down if I don't get enough deep pressure. (I think my youngest child is somewhat similar.)

Sound like you could use Temple Grandin's hug machine!
Whispering wrote:
I remember feeling like I was going to fly apart as I sat in a car with another person

That's exactly how I feel sometimes, especially at night. I have my fiance just hold me tightly or lay on top of me and allow most of his body weight to press me down.
Whispering wrote:
I have to sleep with extra blankets for the weight. Otherwise, it feels like my body is not on the bed. Again, I don't feel safe or secure.

If I don't have blankets that have some weight to them, I feel like I am going to float off the bed. Now that I am in menopause, and having hot flashes and night sweats I spend the entire night throwing off the blankets until I cool off, then pulling them back on. I have a fairly lightweight quilt that I use now, and I fold an afghan at the foot of the bed so that it is placing weight on my feet.

Xenia
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2011, 3:19 pm

Whispering wrote:
I also cover my head when I first fall asleep.

I do that too! I also always need a duvet no matter how hot it is.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2011, 12:22 am

I'm a guy invading this topic, but wow I never realized my extra blanket/weighted blanket was a thing relevant to my Aspergers. (I use an extra blanket; never knew there were weighted blankets). Always told my parents it was my best hug for sleeping. xD

As someone mentioned before I cover my head to initially fall asleep; though it more like using the blanket as a scarf so that my face is still exposed to breath!

I never have problems with anxiety preventing me from sleep. I can somehow shut it all down easily.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 4:24 am

Infoseeker wrote:
I'm a guy invading this topic, but wow I never realized my extra blanket/weighted blanket was a thing relevant to my Aspergers. (I use an extra blanket; never knew there were weighted blankets). Always told my parents it was my best hug for sleeping. xD

As someone mentioned before I cover my head to initially fall asleep; though it more like using the blanket as a scarf so that my face is still exposed to breath!

I never have problems with anxiety preventing me from sleep. I can somehow shut it all down easily.

An extra blanket may well help, but it's not the kind of weighted blanket they're talking about. Here's a link:
http://www.weightedblanket.net/faq.htm

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

Oh that is very interesting; thank you.