Are there big differenes between female and male aspies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

What are some of the differences between male and female aspies? Or are we all the same?

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 4:29 pm

Male aspies usually have a "Y" chromosome where female aspies have two "X" chromosomes.

Okay - I'm being a smart-ass...

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

Nothing inherent in their autism.

Female autism is sometimes less externally noticeable (less acting out, more blending in). It is also believed that females with autism often display traits later than males.

I've heard it said females often have less concrete interests, but I have not noticed.

I personally think the charts with 'female aspie traits' that I've seen are BS.

xowe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2011, 4:53 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwLp3xuBUI&NR=1[/youtube]

Sorry... I just had to be a smart-ass too

The way I see it the whole world has a number of building blocks to their personality, some external, and some others. gender probably has one of the largest effects on our personalities... if you're building a building, its going to look quite different if you change the largest stone, even if all the other stones are the same.

:)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

Females with AS I've noticed, are sometimes more in your face, or needy. There are quiet ones too though. I was sort of both, but calmed down a few years ago.

I've noticed a few needy aspie men, but not very many. Half of them I've met were fairly quiet. The other half - a mixture of "normal" and mad.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

I have noticed that people only notice difference between the genders when it comes to the fallacious stereotypes regarding relationships (every other thread in L&D has a topic related to this).

We rarely hear about differences when it comes to work-related situations, economic issues, things like that.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2011, 7:32 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Nothing inherent in their autism.

I personally think the charts with 'female aspie traits' that I've seen are BS.

I can't say I agree with this entirely, because I've been able to show people that I am autistic (aspie) because of these charts. However, I think there are less differences than people like to admit (btw, I do stutter, and I do have really odd special interests.. I also know who I am, but can blend in and very rarely trust a person enough to show my true self to- Otherwise that chart is me in print, but it can be applied to males a lot of the time, too.) What needs to be done is doctors need to stop looking at a person as a gender and more as a person if that makes sense, when deciding if something is an autistic trait or a mood disorder, etc.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 7:59 pm

hi

Last edited by LostUndergrad9090 on 24 Oct 2011, 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 9:36 pm

The only differences I see is in trends, I'm trying to think of them but can only think of one at the moment: female aspies are more likely to be terrified of hurting others, though this also can occur in males.

I've also heard that female aspies are more likely to be mimics, but haven't seen enough data to say whether this matches what I've seen, as I'm not one myself.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 9:59 pm

It seems like female special interests are more likely to involve animals, bioscience, arts, crafts and such (and voracious reading), as opposed to machines, electronics, weapons, and other technological things. -- But only as a tendency and not a rule that's always true.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 10:38 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
It seems like female special interests are more likely to involve animals, bioscience, arts, crafts and such (and voracious reading), as opposed to machines, electronics, weapons, and other technological things. -- But only as a tendency and not a rule that's always true.

Heh, the special interest that caused me to realize I had them was FIRST robotics :p. I was given the role of explaining the robot to the judges and the principal of the school ended up telling me he didn't think I'd ever be as good socially as he saw me in those situations. (Though I've also had stereotypically female special interests (turtles, The Hobbit and such)

I want to know how much this is actually true (that there's a tendency in that direction), and how much people assume its true or deal with selection bias because of the overall viewpoint that females aren't into engineering, math, or non-biology science fields.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 12:49 am

Well the reported differences that a lot of sources seem to report.

1) Interests are not as unusual.
2) Females are better imitators therefore often go unnoticed.
3) And according to Tony Attwood, aspie females often go into the caring professions. Really? Well I certainly dont fit that stereotype.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2011, 1:28 am

I'm obsessed with fire trucks for one example of something weird to obsess over. I can tell you which truck does what, and where each truck comes from (the trucks have numbers on them, and those numbers represent the station they're from) I also have decided to be a specific fire truck when I grow up- People laugh, but I see it this way: I either never grow up or I defy the laws of physics... Either way it's a win win situation for me. There are several other ones that wouldn't fit into the specific traits females have. But thinking about it now, I guess we have to look at it as another guideline and know that not everyone will fit everything. I still think there's too much emphasis put on the so called differences between male and female aspies and autists. I bet if we gave a doctor the case file of a male and female on the spectrum without telling the gender, they wouldn't be able to distinguish a difference.

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2011, 1:06 pm

My link didn't work so have taken out my post

Last edited by Sowlowsolo on 24 Oct 2011, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Well the reported differences that a lot of sources seem to report.

1) Interests are not as unusual.
2) Females are better imitators therefore often go unnoticed.
3) And according to Tony Attwood, aspie females often go into the caring professions. Really? Well I certainly dont fit that stereotype.

I don't fit into going into the caring profession either!!

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 4:43 pm

Sowlowsolo wrote:
Here's a list of about 45 femail traits - I relate to at least 40 of them.

[img][800:656]http://www.help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6a/images/img244154ad237783e339.JPG[/img]

A bunch of these aren't female specific though. (Also, I relate to <30 of them...)

[img][800:538]http://www.help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6a/images/img287904ad237f1d2ab3.JPG[/img] is far more useful.

Of that second image I relate to:
-less unusual obsessions
-Meltdowns including crying
-hates injustice and being misunderstood (but rarely leads to meltdown)
-more likely to keep pets

(I wasn't diagnosed until 22, but Asperger's was identified in me at 13, so I don't identify with the later diagnosis)