Resources for Women with Aspergers Syndrome

Page 2 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 6:21 pm

i didn't notice this thread until someone else posted a link in another thread. excellent list of resources, thank you for compiling it Kjas!

i stickied up this thread so it is easy to find, but i am doing that carefully. sometimes a sticky thread will actually become *less* popular as people tend to ignore stickies. but this section doesn't have a lot of stickies so i think it'll be ok. plus i don't want the thread to disappear down the next page. let me know if you have any objections. :)

also, if you want to add anything to the list, since it is beyond the edit limit for you, let a moderator know and we can make changes to the list as needed.

quietgirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2012, 7:39 am

Kjas wrote:
^^^
That is still Aspergers.

The RAADS-R is the golden standard. If you get more than 65 on that, then you are Aspie.
The others merely show how much / little and or in which areas you are more affected by it.

Also: Resources will be added to sometime during the next month with Moderators permission.

Thank you for sharing the RAADS-R. I've never seen it before, and it's quite profound to see it for the first time (I'm 44.)

"How did they know that?" I kept thinking as I read it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 5:57 pm

I took the eye expression test one time and I actually did pretty well, does that mean I don't have Asperger's? Of course, still images of eye expressions that don't change or come and go in a microsecond, and actually give you time to think and process in your mind is nothing like real life.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 10:02 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I took the eye expression test one time and I actually did pretty well, does that mean I don't have Asperger's? Of course, still images of eye expressions that don't change or come and go in a microsecond, and actually give you time to think and process in your mind is nothing like real life.

Not necessarily.

The RAADS-R is what they use to determine if you do or do not have aspergers. If you scored 65 or higher on that, then you do.

The questionaire for women and the eye expression test both show in which areas you are more likely to be affected. If you scored higher than 22 on the eye expression, you may be alright in that area - or you may have developed intellectual coping mechanisms to compensate - the way the test is structures means you can use compensation - that's why when they usually give it to you in real life, they usually sit with you and observe how you do the test, as well as how long it takes - both signs of intellectual compensation.

daydreamingmama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2013, 6:40 am

Hi there!

Are you sure the scoring is right for the Questionnaire for Girls with Aspergers Syndrome (QGAS)? You wrote that a score above 23 is ASD, but there are 45 questions and if you gave 1s to every question, you'd get a 45. Which means every person who took the test would get above 23. In fact, it's impossible to get a score lower than 45.

? Can you check this?

Thanks!

Rachel

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 5:33 pm

daydreamingmama wrote:
Hi there!

Are you sure the scoring is right for the Questionnaire for Girls with Aspergers Syndrome (QGAS)? You wrote that a score above 23 is ASD, but there are 45 questions and if you gave 1s to every question, you'd get a 45. Which means every person who took the test would get above 23. In fact, it's impossible to get a score lower than 45.

? Can you check this?

Thanks!

Rachel

It's not impossible to get a score lower than 45.
The middle option for "about as much as an average child (which is what most NT's would get) represents a score of 0.
A NT girl would score between 0 and 23 on that test. The 23-46 range would incidiate borderline or mild. Anything more than that is clearly aspergers.

As these are all symptom based questions, anyone who scores more one 1 point either side of the 0 NT average for more than half the questions probably is aspie or borderline aspie. Those who got higher scores on it, like myself - clearly have the moderate expression to the point it clearing affects our functioning.

That is also why it is given to the client as well as another given to one of their parents - not to mention many aspies have a different version of what they consider "normal" and therefore when filling it out may not take that into account . Hence checking with a parent to check that and validate that the answers are the same within 0-10 points or so.

daydreamingmama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2013, 2:16 am

Thanks for replying!

I see. I think I misunderstood how to score the test. Are you saying that when scoring, a 3 is equal to 0 pts? So how do you get a point when scoring? Anything outside of "normal' counts as a point, whether it's more or less than other girls?

I'm so confused. :p

Thanks again for your help,

Rachel

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 5:12 pm

That's correct.

If you select 1 = 2 points
If you select 2 = 1 point
If you select 3 = 0 points
If you select 4 = 1 point
If you select 5 = 2 points

The reason it's done that way is that these are symptom based questions. Since we can present very differently - it is the extremes they are looking for in a pattern when it comes to symptom based questions - hence the way it is scored.

Example: In my case for the first 3 questions, I selected 1 on the first, 5 on the second and 5 on the third.

And it is those kinds of extremes they are looking for.

Tali
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2013, 10:32 pm

I have an ASD child and recently noticed that things he struggled with, I did too. I've been looking through the internet looking for tests.
I scored 162 on RAADS-R
I scored 68 on GQAS
Finally I scored 12 on reading the eyes test

The eyes were the hardest. How can anyone tell any feeling without seeing the rest of the face! Sometimes you can guess from the shape of the eyebrows.

I also tried the Aspie Quiz and scored 149/200 Aspergers Syndrome “very likely an aspie.”
I tried the AQ Autism Spectrum Quotient test and tried the AAA Adult Aspergers Assessment and scored as Aspergers for AQ (35/50. 80% of ASD is over 32)and EQ tests. (16/80. 80% of ASD is under 30)
The I tried the systemising test SQ and scored 114. “You have a very high ability for analysing and exploring a system. Three times as many people with Asperger Syndrome score in this range, compared to typical men, and almost no women score this high.”

I'm not sure whether to speak to a doctor or whether to trawl the internet for more tests. I dont really want aspergers. Maybe I'm just over sympathising with my ASD child?

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 11:00 pm

Today I only took the Eye Expression Test and my score was a 23 and a typical score is 22-30. A score below 20 means a person finds it quite difficult and a score above 30 means a person is above average at determining an expression from the eyes only.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 6:42 am

Tali wrote:
I have an ASD child and recently noticed that things he struggled with, I did too. I've been looking through the internet looking for tests.
I scored 162 on RAADS-R
I scored 68 on GQAS
Finally I scored 12 on reading the eyes test

The eyes were the hardest. How can anyone tell any feeling without seeing the rest of the face! Sometimes you can guess from the shape of the eyebrows.

I also tried the Aspie Quiz and scored 149/200 Aspergers Syndrome “very likely an aspie.”
I tried the AQ Autism Spectrum Quotient test and tried the AAA Adult Aspergers Assessment and scored as Aspergers for AQ (35/50. 80% of ASD is over 32)and EQ tests. (16/80. 80% of ASD is under 30)
The I tried the systemising test SQ and scored 114. “You have a very high ability for analysing and exploring a system. Three times as many people with Asperger Syndrome score in this range, compared to typical men, and almost no women score this high.”

I'm not sure whether to speak to a doctor or whether to trawl the internet for more tests. I dont really want aspergers. Maybe I'm just over sympathising with my ASD child?

The RAADS-R is the official main test they use to diagnose here. To be diagnosed you only need a score of 65. I think it's almost certain you have ASC if you have managed to score that high.

You can speak to a doctor and get yourself assessed if you wish - but there is very little support offered to adults. You may be better off getting some books from your local library and reading up on it instead first and see how much you can relate to their experiences- some of the books written were written by women who are AS, as well as having children who do too. Diagnosis is expensive and for many doesn't offer much since there are so few support services for adults. Either way I would do some reading first before you decide to go to see a doctor.

Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2013, 2:09 pm

Thanks Kjas for having taken the time to provide this list...It's been of great help. I'm a 46 yo woman. What has your experience been about older women with AS? How does someone of my age who has finally been diagnose get some help?

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 9:16 pm

46 wrote:
Thanks Kjas for having taken the time to provide this list...It's been of great help. I'm a 46 yo woman. What has your experience been about older women with AS? How does someone of my age who has finally been diagnose get some help?

They do best when they form support groups with other women with AS of around the same age (40-55 year olds or so). It gives a form of support that therapy and official channels can't really provide. The best help you can give yourself is learn to recognise your own coping strategies. We don't get to the age you are now without developing quite a few. It's also best to explore some of the things you have probably repressed due to social conditioning and find a way to give them an outlet somewhere - find ways to integrate it into your life to make it easier. Once you have done that you can go and see a psych and you will know what accommodations you need - and get them to give you the official paperwork for it so that you can be provided with that.

Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2013, 9:49 pm

Thank you again!

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2013, 10:56 pm

Thanks very much! The RAADS-R was very helpful.

leojewels91
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2013, 7:57 pm

For RAADS, I scored 181, for GQAS I scored a 65 and for the eye expression test I scored 25.