Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

gleameyes23
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2008, 6:04 pm

I've been interested in Aspergers ever since I heard about it from one of my doctors a few years ago. I've been treated as someone with ADD/ADHD ever since I was seven. But what I don't get is how someone that suddenly went silent for 1 1/2 years could be labelled as such. Plus I was tested for autism twice, the second time for Aspergers specifically, but both times it was something else. I do a lot of research, but I've just now noticed that there seems to be different traits for Aspie women.

I don't have a problem on going on monologues about my interests. I know that no one I know is interested in Pokemon or Bleach, so I keep my mouth shut unless someone needs correction on their knowledge in those subjects.

I don't have a big problem with reading expressions, but people do look angrier to me than they really are (especially my mom). I've been told that I constantly look angry or depressed even when I feel perfectly content. My speech is unusually formal for someone that lives in the South.

So I was wondering if women with Aspergers tend to defy the normal definition of Aspergers. Because I've heard stuff from ADD to selective mutism to flat affect. I can't find good help if I can't even figure myself out!

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:43 pm

gleameyes23 wrote:
I've been interested in Aspergers ever since I heard about it from one of my doctors a few years ago. I've been treated as someone with ADD/ADHD ever since I was seven. But what I don't get is how someone that suddenly went silent for 1 1/2 years could be labelled as such. Plus I was tested for autism twice, the second time for Aspergers specifically, but both times it was something else. I do a lot of research, but I've just now noticed that there seems to be different traits for Aspie women.

I don't have a problem on going on monologues about my interests. I know that no one I know is interested in Pokemon or Bleach, so I keep my mouth shut unless someone needs correction on their knowledge in those subjects.

I don't have a big problem with reading expressions, but people do look angrier to me than they really are (especially my mom). I've been told that I constantly look angry or depressed even when I feel perfectly content. My speech is unusually formal for someone that lives in the South.

So I was wondering if women with Aspergers tend to defy the normal definition of Aspergers. Because I've heard stuff from ADD to selective mutism to flat affect. I can't find good help if I can't even figure myself out!

Women manifest aspergers differently, have you hear of Heather Kuzmich who was on America's next top model?

gleameyes23
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2008, 6:53 pm

ZakFiend wrote:
Women manifest aspergers differently, have you hear of Heather Kuzmich who was on America's next top model?

I read the Wikipedia article on her not long ago, and Mom keeps track on that show. Yeah, Aspergers with ADHD, currently studying video game design (like me). That's when I first noticed that women Aspies could be different.

Another question: are there any books out on the subject of women with Aspergers?

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 4:19 am

gleameyes23 wrote:
Another question: are there any books out on the subject of women with Aspergers?

Multiple memoirs by women with the dx: such as Temple Grandin & Donna Williams-who seem rather unlike each other, which just shows how the ASD spectrum can encompass a wide variety of personalities/temperaments (and expression of the dx).

Also, I rather enjoyed Jeanette Purkis's "Finding a Different Kind of Normal" (memoir).

Good things have been said about Liane Holliday Willey's books, incl. "Pretending to be Normal" (which I thought was "so-so", but that's only my personal reaction), among others.

"Asperger Syndrome and Girls" has chapters on (and by) some women, too-it's a mixed bag of stuff, at least some of which may appeal (seem relevant).
"Women from Another Planet" is written by several females who were part of an online listserv for ASD. Includes poetry & prose, as well as transcripts of some of their discussions.

However, there is no "general overview" book (that I know of) about "how it is being a female rather than a male" with AS. Assumptions & defaults in great majority of the literature operate from idea that most folks with AS are male (and also that those with AS are children-which is ridiculous & insulting to people such as myself, who are both female and adult).

Quite a few articles (online, from sources in newspapers & magazines) lately about AS & females, though-if you browse the "autism politics, activism, and media representation" section of WP, you'll find more. I can think of a few that I've seen in just the past few months.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 6:22 am

a woman called Wendy Lawson (she has AS) has written a book called "Build your own life" it is a self help guide for people with AS.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 10:24 am

tweety_fan wrote:
a woman called Wendy Lawson (she has AS) has written a book called "Build your own life" it is a self help guide for people with AS.

I'd forgotten about that one, though I did read it.
Also, there's Dawn Prince-Hughes' memoir "Songs of the Gorilla Nation".

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 4:17 am

Yes, aspergers in Women comes out different then in men. There are a lot of Aspie girls out there who are undiagnosed.

starlighter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2008, 2:17 pm

Women with asperger's defy asperger's syndrome adapted to 'woman's world'. Asperger is not only masculine afterall.
Maybe you are not aspie, as is possible to be only ADD/ADHD with not aspiesness related. don't know though.

gleameyes23
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2008, 7:06 pm

Yeah, but parents can tell when something's different with their child. Mom still insists it's AS.

Anyway, I bought Women from Another Planet? and Congratulations! It's Asperger Syndrome this week. So far both books are enlightening, even if I don't have AS.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 9:25 pm

gleameyes23 wrote:
Anyway, I bought Women from Another Planet? and Congratulations! It's Asperger Syndrome this week. So far both books are enlightening, even if I don't have AS.

Cool that you got those.
Haven't read the "Congratulations" book but had heard of it. Perhaps you'll let us know what you think, once you've finished them both (know "Women from..." one is not a short book).

emc2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Oct 2008, 7:17 pm

Liane Holliday Wiley's books I found I could relate to.

Also I read in some Aspie relationship book about women being like and I'll use my own interpretation of what the book said - I interpret it to mean we are like chameleons. So we do our best to blend in with our friends, family or partner/s for a very long time.